Should be interesting - The Labour event under investigation.

Tilt

Labour's leader being investigated by the police (iirc) just as the Conservative leader was .............

Different circumstances I guess, I'm not sure of all the details but I believe he was drinking along with some of his party campaigners .............

Correct my info if any of it is wrong please ..........

The outcome could be interesting .................... well, to some folk, Lol.

Edited by john999boy

The thing that springs to mind for me is on Friday morning as some of the results were being digested, a Tory interviewee happened to mention this very story to their Labour equivalent. She replied that (paraphrasing here), ‘As you very well know, the Police have already looked at the circumstances surrounding this event and have decided there was no further action needed’.

She obviously didn’t appreciate that they were only awaiting the voting to end before delving further.

This is now being moved to Roadside too.

• john999boy changed the title to Should be interesting - The Labour event under investigation.

Will certainly be interesting to see what he does if fined...  And whether Durham police interpret food and drink at a gathering differently to the Metropolitan police.

As far as I understand it Starmer's repeatedly said no rules were broken. I also understand the rules in place when Starmer had a beer and a curry (wow, big deal!) were different to when Johnson was partying. This memo that's causing all the fuss seems only to back up Starmers version of events I thought. I saw people were mentioning things like 'there were restaurants open in Durham' and the hotel he was at served food. But the hotel only served food up until 9pm. 

No10 is the most fined workplace in the country with more FPNs dropping through peoples letterboxes and the details of the Sue Gray report still outstanding but somehow we're being told to focus on Starmer having a curry and a beer while on the campaign trail by the Daily Mail etc.

'Operation save 'Big Dog'' in full swing? Coincidence that just after the tories lost 486 council seats, losing Stormont to Sinn Fein and possibly the break up of the Union and with other issues such as rising energy prices, the cost of brexit living crises etc etc this happens to drop to try and distract peoples attention from the real issues affecting people? 

If  Starmer's found to have breached the rules that were in place and the tories call for his resignation, then surely they'll have to get rid of Johnson and possibly Sunak  as well wouldn't they? 

According to The Mirror, the tory MP who called for Durham police to investigate 'Beergate' was himself having curry and beers with Gurkhas around the same time but insists no rules were broken. 
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-mp-who-wants-police-26826391

Didn't Durham police originally say there was nothing to investigate? If so this seems like the tories putting political pressure on them. 

Here's Labours Lisa Nandy on Sky News this morning

And here's something from Private Eye.

FSORnHUWUAQiznn.jpg

3 hours ago, @Lee said:

No10 is the most fined workplace in the country

Do you have a source for that?

3 hours ago, @Lee said:

If  Starmer's found to have breached the rules that were in place and the tories call for his resignation, then surely they'll have to get rid of Johnson and possibly Sunak  as well wouldn't they? 

He will simply stand down being the honourable non hypocritical person that he is, he will not wait for calls for his resignation from whatever corner. Given what you propose I doubt there would be any on the record calls for his resignation from Tory party members, just a lot of knowing smirks when asked for comments.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Do you have a source for that?

Starmer's said it himself more than once. This is from a few days ago before the latest batch of FPNs dropped. Can you prove it's incorrect?

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I doubt there would be any on the record calls for his resignation from Tory party members, just a lot of knowing smirks when asked for comments.

But Justice Secretary and Deputy Prime Minister Mr Raab said the Labour leader was guilty of "complete hypocrisy" and had "a bunch of questions to answer" about the Durham event.

He avoided saying whether he thought the Labour leader should resign, saying the government was focused on issues that mattered more to voters, such as the cost of living.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-61369911

Adendum

City of London Police handed out by far the most Covid fines per person, with a rate of 339.2 fines per 10,000 people. The force only handed out 371 fines but there are only around 10,000 people living in the City of London.

Merseyside Police had the second highest Covid fine rate at 51.8 fines per 10,000 people. Meanwhile, North Yorkshire Police had the third-highest rate at 48.4 fines per 10,000 people.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/covid-fines-police-partygate-boris-23545255
So over fifty for one place does seem like Starmer's correct. 

Edited by @Lee

The Mirror has an article where the Curry House owner or someone from the Curry House has doubts over the Carry Out / Delivered food being as much as £200.

https://mirror.co.uk/news/politics/keir-starmers-200-beergate-curry-26902434

Some loss of records of the Order, payment, VAT charged it seems, wiped from the system.

I would imagine that they better find the actual Order & Payment information for their accounts and HMRC as well as the Police. 

?

Was it a whip round with money in the kitty, or cash from the Election Funds or the Labour Party, without a receipt, 

nod and wink to a blind man and keep the change.

Perjury is a serious crime as is perverting the course of justice.  

3-monkeys-620x2401-620x240.jpg.0597dcccb1b603ee629f930dd02f3a1f.jpg.24a37f9163e0ba1cfd6b6fd298e8e592 (1).jpg

20 hours ago, roottoot said:

Perjury is a serious crime as is perverting the course of justice.  

Indeed but nobody's under oath and I doubt a former boss of the DPP would pervert the course of justice knowingly or intentionally.

This is one way of looking at what's going on.

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

Perjury or perverting the course of justice was referring to anybody assisting the police.

That can include those catering or delivering or providing the premises. 

As long as everyone that can remembers the events tells the truth then there should be no issues, maybe just a few FPN's received by whoever.

Statements will be given and statements taken and it would be so much easier if people were open and honest from the off.

If they were then nothing to see, just move along there.

Everything should be an easy open and shut case. Workers working.

Met Police officers were with him / Diplomatic Protection. 

They know when he left the Miners Hall and retired to his hotel.

They know who came and went and surely were checking people in and out of the Miners Hall and their identities. 

Those that took the pictures through the window could have had a gun or a bomb or just a brick but that is how good the Durham or the Met Police are.

If there is free grub on the go you can hardly expect them to hang about outside.

Or maybe the Police took the photo!

Edited by roottoot

Seems simply enough if he announces that if he does get a FPN for a breach of lockdown regulations he will stand down as Labour Party Leader and as a MP, then he can move on just now until there is any further developments.

Others that are elected members that get a FNP for that event can stand down as well.  That sorts it for the Labour Party.

https://thesun.co.uk/news/politics/18508209/keir-starmer-to-make-beergate-statement

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Seems simply enough if he announces that if he does get a FPN for a breach of lockdown regulations he will stand down as Labour Party Leader and as a MP, then he can move on just now until there is any further developments.

Others that are elected members that get a FNP for that event can stand down as well.  That sorts it for the Labour Party.

https://thesun.co.uk/news/politics/18508209/keir-starmer-to-make-beergate-statement

High risk but potentially high reward  strategy by Starmer, George. He must be very sure of himself but then he's a details man unlike the bloke opposite him.

If no FPN/ crime or whatever committed then Johnson will be backed into a corner. On the one hand you'll have one bloke saying he'll be doing the right and honourable  thing and on the other, Johnson. 

Starmer's said he'll do the 'right thing' and resign if issued with a FPN.

Ball's in Johnson's court now.

Edited by @Lee

2 minutes ago, roottoot said:

The MP's who's office the event was held at has her neck on the block now if she was there and gets a FPN, and then Angela Rayner also.

Any other MP that gets one as well. 

Rayner's just said she'd resign as well if she got an FPN.

This was very good from Starmer "This is a matter of principle and honour for me. It's about who I am, what I stand for. And I stand for honour and integrity and a belief that politics is a force for good and we shouldn't just be dragged down by a belief that all politicians are all the same."

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

On 08/05/2022 at 01:55, @Lee said:

Apparently after 60 views and no comments it's really not that interesting.

Hmm, didn't think you were interested Lee .......................... Lol. ;)

• Haha 1
  • Groan 1

3 hours ago, Tilt said:

Hmm, didn't think you were interested Lee .......................... Lol. ;)

I was just pointing out that after 33 hours and my opening comment, nobody seemed bothered about it 😉

Labour say they have evidence (Whatsapp and texts etc.) that work continued after the food and drink and hence the latter was 'work related' and did not break the rules.

So...   playing devil's advocate...   if Downing Street can show Whatsapp and other such messages similarly after the gatherings they have been fined for would those gatherings also now, retrospectively, be classed as work related, within the rules and the fines withdrawn?

• Like 1

Personal post...

It appears politicians from all circle fall into the do what I say not what I do trap.

There are good politicans in all the parties, it's just a shame they (at least currently) appear to be outnumbered by the dross and the self serving.

• Like 3

@skomaz seemingly evidence that 'The team' worked on from whatever location.  

That is not 'The Leader' who could maybe of bogged off to the hotel.

The MP's Constituency office at the Miners Hall interests me because that is not the address for Mary Kelly Foy MP's constituency office.

But they maybe have one there as well. 

It must be remembered this is all about the campaign before the Hartlepool by-election on the 6th May 2021.

This wee hanging out in Durham was on the 30th April 2021.

Balls, buffets, banquettes, zoom quizzes, rest and recuperation.  

EDIT.

PS.

Durham Miners Halls under refurbishment so maybe now the Constituency Office has moved.

https://dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10783633/ANDREW-PIERCE-Labours-cozy_Durham-cabal-silence-thats-deafening.html

http://www.durhamminers.org

He helped loads in Hartlepool in the lead up to the by-election which Labour then lost the seat.

Chocolate fire guard comes to mind.

Edited by roottoot

Not sure how this can be spun as a 'work event' tbh. 
Plus, wasn't there a DJ and karaoke at No10? Did Carries decorator need to be at a 'work even't? Apparently Wilfs swing or maybe it was his slide were broken at one of the No10 'work events'. The Met Police have already begun their investigation which is still ongoing. MPs and aides etc had questionairres to fill in and send back and the Met have issued God knows how many now FPNs so I guess they're satisfied that No10 was in breach of lockdown rules.
We're still waiting for the Sue Gray report.
3_PARTY.jpg.82b24b6c2cb92280974499222451fdd7.jpg

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1