Should be interesting - The Labour event under investigation.

Tilt

1 hour ago, cheezemonkhai said:

I’m curious as to what’s taking so long… Either they broke the rules or didn’t.

I think it was said a while ago by Durham Police the announcement would be mid July. 

I don't believe the past few days events are related given the timescale.

Not saying you do btw. Just stating my opinion on things. :thumbup:

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

According to the Huffington Post article Sir Keir Starmer MP could have as little as 2 hours to prepare his resignation speech.

No he has had well over 2 months (since 9th May or before because he must of thought about what he was going to announce) to prepare it ever since he said he would go if issued a FPN. 

If he was doing paid Advocacy work for a client there would be hours and hours being charged for in preparation... 

Personally he has likely had legal advice and help in the having answered the questions he had to in the questionnaire / sworn statement.

Having a wife who was a solicitor might have meant he could keep it in house and keep the expense down to him or the party as obviously they might not qualify for legal aid.  Not that those that attended the Work Event might try claiming for the cost of legal advice. 

Just how many police officers and support / administration and how many hours have been given over to the investigation of a single event that had Police Officers present will come out eventually probably from a FOI request. 

Edited by roottoot

7 hours ago, @Lee said:

I think it was said a while ago by Durham Police the announcement would be mid July. 

I don't believe the past few days events are related given the timescale.

Not saying you do btw. Just stating my opinion on things. :thumbup:

I was more concerned that we have this dragging over both parties and I wish they'd just come out with it so it can be put to bed one way or another.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, roottoot said:

No case to answer.    Shorted.  no FPN. no further action. 

Has he been cleared then, George? 

Edit: Just seen this

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

I expect the headline writers at the Daily Fail are feeling a bit stupid now after wanging on about it and keeping it on the front page for two weeks!

Update: Starmer giving a press conference. Nobody there from the Daily Fail :D 

Edited by @Lee

1 hour ago, @Lee said:

I expect the headline writers at the Daily Fail are feeling a bit stupid now after wanging on about it and keeping it on the front page for two weeks!

Update: Starmer giving a press conference. Nobody there from the Daily Fail :D 

The Daily Heil - the definition of anti-news.

• Like 1

Not sure if it has been said or question asked, but did I hear correctly ........ was he drinking beer???? .............. at work?????

16 minutes ago, Tilt said:

Not sure if it has been said or question asked, but did I hear correctly ........ was he drinking beer???? .............. at work?????

He had a beer with a curry for a meal during a break whilst on the campaign trail and no rules were broken as Durham Police have confirmed after the second investigation.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Tilt said:

was he drinking beer???? .............. at work?????

14 hours ago, @Lee said:

He had a beer with a curry for a meal during a break

Sounds like local Labour Party rules allow drinking on work premises.

But remember that taking alcohol into No 10 didn't break any workplace rules either.

So can we assume that a politician being drunk is allowed? Seems a fairly good assumption given the number of bars selling alcohol in the Palace of Westminster.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Groan 1

Did you look at who's building it is. It's history and use?

http://thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/20128375.inside-durham-miners-hall-keir-starmers-breach-took-place

Title wrong as it was apparently were no 'breach' took part by Keir Starmer. 

Look at what the Venue is and the sitting MP's Office and where she works and where her registered address is.

She says and the media say her office is here or she works here. 

Finding where her sugeries are held or when is not easy using the world wide web, and this is not her Office Address.

Not all there were Elected Politicians,  Labour Party Workers or Employees,  there are volunteers as at any local elections or in this case not so local the by-election

In the general vicinity .  

The Westminster Estates and the drinking of alcohol is very lax in as far as licencees apparently allow drink to be served to those that should be getting refused and that includes elected members, workers & guests.

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

I see the Daily Fail have published a full apology for attacking Keir Starmer relentlessly every day for two weeks on their front page.

Of course they haven't. Who am I kidding!
FXNqDNYX0AAskTA.thumb.jpg.393521ea94fde5968827dc1aab54983d.jpgFXLckrgWYAEq9hH.thumb.jpg.cc75ed57ce7555b7f4c0bcfab7bb12f1.jpg

3 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Sounds like local Labour Party rules allow drinking on work premises.

But remember that taking alcohol into No 10 didn't break any workplace rules either.

So can we assume that a politician being drunk is allowed? Seems a fairly good assumption given the number of bars selling alcohol in the Palace of Westminster.

It might be the break and a curry vs break and cake difference? 

In what way were they "dramatically" cleared?

I hope the inverted commas are appropriate and will not cause offence, I still don't know where I should and should not be using them (for 6 decades I thought I had thought I did) & as for the & symbol I'm not sure whether its off limits or not.

2 hours ago, @Lee said:

Of course they haven't. Who am I kidding!

SO the Daily Heil think that having the integrity to say that you will resign if you are found to have done something wrong is a character flaw!?

• Like 1

I know what i'd get if I got caught drinking at work ......................

Maybe depending on who caught me tho, Lol ....... :devil:

Alright for some.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I know what happens if you have a drink of alcohol in your own lunch break in a licensed premises or not.  Lots of people do it.

20 plus years ago when i worked for Dundee City Council we were issues Uniforms were i worked and not allowed to enter licensed premises during the working day if wearing them.  That was one thing but we worked early starts and early finishes or late starts and late finishes and the uniforms were just trousers / skirts, shirts tie / blouses and what you would wear to and from work, there was no changing rooms.

They meant not going into pubs obviously wearing the uniform and having a meal with or without a drink be it alcoholic or not. Not into a licensed newsagent / garage.

Not that they thought that through very well when coming up with the rules.

That ruling introduced by Elected Councillors and officials was to be enforced but i was a Union Steward at the time and pointed out that they could get on with it as long as it applied to non uniformed staff and Elected members and the various events they attended in various council and non council buildings. 

Edited by roottoot

• 2 weeks later...

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62325842

Sir Keir Starmer MP surely must get dumped by Labour as their leader sooner rather than later.

I would not be trusting him to be able to lead a donkey to water,

Labour MP's should be supporting workers having legitimate strike actions IMO.

Especially when Tories are making all sorts of threats against Unions and those taking Industrial Action. 

6 minutes ago, roottoot said:

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62325842

Sir Keir Starmer MP surely must get dumped by Labour as their leader sooner rather than later.

I would not be trusting him to be able to lead a donkey to water,

Labour MP's should be supporting workers having legitimate strike actions IMO.

Especially when Tories are making all sorts of threats against Unions and those taking Industrial Action. 

I haven't completely caught up on this yet, George but I did read it was because he was making up transport policy on the hoof. 
I doubt Rayner will be happy as he's apparently her squeeze.
We'll see.

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, @Lee said:

I haven't completely caught up on this yet, George but I did read it was because he was making up transport policy on the hoof. 

That seems to be what the reports are saying...   Well that and an unapproved media appearance.

Although it does smack of any excuse to clear out another Corbyn supporter as well...

5 hours ago, skomaz said:

That seems to be what the reports are saying...   Well that and an unapproved media appearance.

Although it does smack of any excuse to clear out another Corbyn supporter as well...

If Starmer is clearing out the far left then I'm all for it. Elections aren't won on far left or far right policies IMO. Put aside any opinion you may have about him aside for a minute but Blair knew this and it's why he won a landslide in 97. Because he appealed to the centre ground. 

Another reason I hope he is is because of pro Corbyn journalists such as Owen Jones who Tweeted the below today. He's clearly wanting people to harass Starmer. Remember, Starmer already had threats after Johnson used that Saville attack line at PMQs not so long ago.

Jones has himself been subjected to harassment so should know better. 

img_1_1658960902689.thumb.jpg.01b56f590076c79746ea5a27f6deb6d9.jpg

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1