Brake lights staying on in stop/start

DaveLees

I've just noticed last night that my brake lights stay illuminated when stationary in stop/start mode (without my foot being on the brake pedal).

Is this normal, and if so, why have I only just noticed it!!!?

I find it annoying to be sat behind a car when stationary with its brake lights illuminated,  and now my car is doing the same thing 🤔

8 minutes ago, NottsIan said:

You've likely got Auto Hold enabled. This automatically holds the brakes on when you stop. 

I am aware that I have Auto Hold enabled,  but I wasn't aware that the brake lights stay illuminated!

You learn something everyday 🙂 

Now it is common with Skoda's and other VW's.

It used to not be with all models.

Those that do as the UK Highway Code say if stopped for a while with cars / vehicles etc behind might want to think of applying the e-brake / parking brake. 

(I know that Autohold is good and going to the e-brake can be a PITA but so can sitting behind brake lights for ages in bad weather / at road works etc at night.)

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/497760-code-out-brake-lights-on-autohold

Edited by roottoot

10 hours ago, DaveLees said:

Is this normal, and if so, why have I only just noticed it!!!?

Yes, as noted, perfectly normal if you have AutoHold enabled.
Not something you might notice unless there's a large vehicle, such as a bus, right behind you.

As Root says, it's a PITA if you're stuck behind a car with its brake lights on, as is being behind a car which has its indicators flashing away at an obvious left hand turn. In situations such as being stopped at traffic lights I make a point of waiting until the next car coming up behind has fully stopped (and maybe the next car along, if the traffic is racking up) then flicking the parking brake on. The dashboard brake light indicator changes after a few seconds after doing this so you know your brake lights have gone out.

• Love it! 1

That's why you see so many cars stopped with brake lights on, not just VAG cars it's any with auto hold, it works on the hydraulic brake lines that's why it put the brake lights on, I always put the handbrake on if I'm stopping for any length of time, to avoid dazzling the driver behind, especially if it's dark and raining

It can be useful to ensure that traffic approaching from behind knows that you've stopped, but I tend to do the same (just flick on the electronic parking brake) if stopped for longer than a few moments and someone has arrived behind me.

Those that are applying the EHB when stopped with DSG cars are you also selecting N to prevent clutch wear, when not using stop/start and engine left running ?

53 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

Those that are applying the EHB when stopped with DSG cars are you also selecting N to prevent clutch wear, when not using stop/start and engine left running ?

Is there any difference in clutch wear when you wait at red lights with DSG left in Drive (as suggested in the manual) and you either:

- keep the brake pedal pressed,
- have Auto Brake on, or
- have Electronic Hand Brake on?

12 minutes ago, agedbriar said:

Is there any difference in clutch wear when you wait at red lights with DSG left in Drive (as suggested in the manual) and you either:

- keep the brake pedal pressed,
- have Auto Brake on, or
- have Electronic Hand Brake on?

Not sure, that’s why I asked.

I do know that with the foot brake applied and with autohold, which applies the brakes same as foot brake, that the clutches are disengaged. 
Lots on here and others say clutches are slipping with handbrake applied with drive engaged, and you shouldn’t do it and select N or P when handbrake applied.

Edited by Kenny R

It is my understanding that the DSG clutches are disengaged when the electronic hand brake is applied when stopped in "Drive". There certainly doesn't appear to be any sign of a "crawl/creep" effect and with a slight touch of the throttle the EHB is automatically released and the clutches re-engage allowing you to drive away. I use it in preference to the "auto brake hold" function.

• Thanks 1

On 13/05/2022 at 13:31, Kenny R said:

I've been driving Automatics (DSG) for the last five years and can't recall ever using Neutral (N).
The car's either in Drive, Reverse or Parked.

I never use the electric handbrake manually, and car is always in drive for full journey. I will sometimes turn off auto hold in very heavy traffic so car starts to creep as soon as footbrake is released as makes for smoother progress, often with manual 1st selected so the car does not immediately go into D2 and go too fast at Rickover.

I used to think about the brake lights being on all the time when stopped but stopped worrying about it years ago as this is now how modern autos are intended to work.

The dsg clutches are automatically disengaged in Park, and when the footbrake, auto hold or electric handbrake are on in a Karoq, unlike previous Yeti with a manual handbrake where the handbrake could be applied when in drive and the clutch would have to slip to stop the engine stalling.

Edited by kenfowler3966

Regardless of how some modern Automatics might work or have been allowed to with EU Construction and use the UK Highway code is still relevant in the UK.

VW Group had up to 5 years ago cars with DSG's where 'autohold' on did not have the rear brake lights applied. 

Many drivers just drive, do not really bother about what the highway code might say because cars can do it all these days and if extra lights are on or no lights other than front DRL's because 'autolights' decides others can see the back of a car in poor visibility.