Add rear USB-C connectors

On 24/05/2022 at 09:30, ParkKatt said:

Hi there,

My Octavia does not have this option. Does anyone know if I can buy a this part and add it to my car ?

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/3g5035954a-usb-c-connector-38659.html

Thanks,

Hi,

It doesn't say if the connection cables are included or not. As far as I know, there are no cables preinstalled. So you also need the cables from the front console to the rear.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am willing doing this retrofit.

I currently have the plastic trim with the 2 holes for the USB ports to fit through. The code is 5E3863618 (9B9)

image.thumb.jpeg.2b2c1408d3933ef226692b89a4cd474f.jpeg

The hard part is the wiring. There is no wiring in the car so if someone wants to add these ports they have to build it themselves. 

I'm thinking of getting power from the wiring of the front USB ports. 

This is the existing connector for the front USB Ports

image.thumb.jpeg.8fef757e3d3b36d686f0f929148bf4b5.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Really interested on how it will turn out as I am also really looking forward into adding the rear usb to my car. Hope you will get the topic updated so we all can benefit :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, i managed to retrofit rear usb ports.

As i mentioned i bought the plastic trim with the USBs holes. (5E3863618 (9B9)

The USB module with 2 USBs - C ports is the 3G5035954A

An cheap sourch is from a Poland site named SkodaParts   (https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/3g5035954a-usb-c-connector-skoda-38659.html)

I did the wiring. I bought some plugs for this purpose. The black to connect the wiring to the car's (needs a little modification), the red to connect the existing contact of the front seats and the brown for the rear seats USB.

connectors.jpg

The black plug (female) needs a bit of cutting to get the male red plug in. Please see the photo below:

plug-trim.jpg

And this is the wiring

new-USB-wiring.jpg

Each plug has 4 pins. Connect 1 to 1, 2 to 2 and 3 to 3 to all plugs.
4 only needs to be connected from the black female to the red male. The new USBs that we will put back do not need to be connected to No.4.

This is the schematic

wiring.jpg

This is the result of the preparation.

20240210-071509-s.jpg

• Thanks 2

Installation:

Some plastic parts need to be removed.
The right side panel of the central console.

side-panels.jpg

The rear plastic (along with the air ducts) of the central console.

rear-console.png

Looking from below you can see the plug of the front USB ports. It's the red one with the 4 wires.

20240211-113729.jpg

It must be removed to make the new wiring. It's a bit difficult because of the limited space. A small tool with a turned nose that I had helped me a lot. If someone doesn't have it, he can make something similar with a thick wire.

20240211-122848.jpg

With this tool one can press the plug button to unclip and come out.

unplug-the-connector.jpg

20240211-113842.jpg

Time to wire. We need to run the new wiring through the center console and bring it to the back. A plastic fish tape wire puller helped me with this.

20240211-115109.jpg 20240211-115142.jpg 20240211-115157.jpg

Then we connect our new wiring to the red plug, arrange the connection (I also put some soft material) so that it does not knock and make noise.

20240211-115404.jpg

20240211-115627.jpg

20240211-115859.jpg

20240211-120102.jpg

The side panel can go into place, we're done with that.

• Thanks 2

USB ports installation

This is the plastic we removed from the back side. We need to remove the part that is the ashtray and replace it with the USB base

20240211-115247.jpg 20240211-115255.jpg

With a plastic tool or a small screwdriver, press the plastic pins (there are 4) and the ashtray comes out easily.press the plastic sheets (there are 4) and the ashtray comes out easily.

20240211-120618.jpg

In the opening created, put the plastic with the USBs and make sure it clicks correctly.

20240211-120655.jpg

20240211-120726.jpg

20240211-120814.jpg

We connect the brown plug in place and fasten all the plastic to the center console.

20240211-120837.jpg

20240211-120904.jpg

΅We are done!!!

Now we can enjoy our new USB ports.

20240211-121145.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This is fantastic guide. Thank you so much, only part that I am not sure is preparing the new wiring, any tip what thicknes of wires to use?

16 hours ago, s3bek said:

This is fantastic guide. Thank you so much, only part that I am not sure is preparing the new wiring, any tip what thicknes of wires to use?

Thanks, the thickness of the wires is 0,5mm. 

• Like 1

One question. Have you tried connecting devices to rear and front ports at the same time?

Front ports are not only for charging, but also data. If you have just split the cables, it means rear ports are now also data ports, but shared with front ones. So once you connect 2 devices to ports in front and rear, which for infotaiment are same ports, you may get some strange behavior.

On 13/02/2024 at 10:08, Felix2021 said:

One question. Have you tried connecting devices to rear and front ports at the same time?

Front ports are not only for charging, but also data. If you have just split the cables, it means rear ports are now also data ports, but shared with front ones. So once you connect 2 devices to ports in front and rear, which for infotaiment are same ports, you may get some strange behavior.

Hi, 

no, there is no chance of that happening.

The plug I use to connect it is for power only, not data. Please see the following picture.

USB-Power-data.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for clarification, now it's clear.

I didn't know, that they have separated power and data to separate plugs, as it's rather uncommon. Good to know.

Knowing this, wondering if that means we could try to increase power delivered by those ports. Am not sure where voltage regulation and PD unit would be. In the ports, or somewhere else? Maybe it would be possible to connect "External" PD unit to those ports or replace ports themselves (depending on how it's done) and keep data connection as if?

Edit: Ok, seems to be the hub, that needs replacement. Need to dig a bit more to find part number that would fit. Seems doable.

Edited by Felix2021

Cannot edit second time now :)

If anyone interested.

Octavia's USB hub part numer is 657035736. In other VAG cars same hub is 5NA035736. The have slightly different case, hence other part number.

In other cars this hub is interchangable with 5NA035700, which is same hub but supporting power delivery protocol (45W). For some models those 2 part number are shown for different trim levels.

So from electrical side hub in O4 can be replaced with 5NA035700 with PD.

Only question is if it's possible to make it fit physically.

I guess i'll try...

I know this topic is about rear ports, but sometimes ideas come when reading other topics :)

BTW - rear ports are also available with PD and are interchangable, so should be possible to install 45W ports in the rear using different part number.

Ιt is definitely possible.

It depends on one's willingness to do such a task. Can someone get such a module from Alixpress, open it and put a board with PD.

But it definitely needs a lot of details.

for example:

USB port dual TypeC USB-C For VW EVO 2020 -2024 T-Cross T-Roc Golf MK8 ID3 ID4 Touran Polo Arteon Variant B8 - AliExpress

Btw, do you have the part number of the 45W port ?

Edited by Giannis20

For front it's 5NA035700. Just ordered one and will check how i can fit it to O4.

Actually there are two versions of standard port. 5NA035736 and 5NA035736A. By the looks of it, newer part number with A has same (or similar) casing as 45W one, so maybe it's possible to już swap PCB between the cases. One without A looks a bit different, and it might be harder, but i'll check. My car is from march 2021, so i assume i will have one without A.

As for rear ports, i would have to check in ETKA, a just saw there are options, but haven't really checked for part numbers.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, guys, I recently owned the Octavia Combi and I immediately felt the need to add two USB ports to the rear.  With this guide you have completely answered my question.

What do you think of this plastic, with its module?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_ExjYUaH

For the cable I will make changes.

They say compatible with Octavia 2014. Do you know if it's the same as the IV?

18 hours ago, mangio85 said:

Hi, guys, I recently owned the Octavia Combi and I immediately felt the need to add two USB ports to the rear.  With this guide you have completely answered my question.

What do you think of this plastic, with its module?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_ExjYUaH

For the cable I will make changes.

They say compatible with Octavia 2014. Do you know if it's the same as the IV?

Plastic (decorative face) is not suitable for our cars. You must buy the correct one, I gave the part number a few posts ago, this is: (5E3863618 (9B9))

Edited by Giannis20
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to drop my thanks to Giannis20 for this guide, it helped me install it on my '21 Octavia. I didn't use the black connector, I just got the USB module, the trim and the cable from a write-off vehicle and just connected the pins 1-3 with WAGO connectors, I assume it was easier with the black connector extender, but I didn't have it handy.   And as you said, Giannis20, the space under the front module is quite narrow and there is not much cable to use. 

image.thumb.png.0a024d16e1e7870fc9ef6e8f434263e2.png

• Love it! 1