Preferred petrol engine

My SIL has tasked me with finding her a car, Petrol, Fabia, not white, with A/C, up to £6.5 k are the parameters. 

So looking late mk11, early mk111. Is there an engine that is best avoided or recommended?

Had the 3 cylinder 60hp 1 litre in son's previous Up which was OK but slow. He now has the 105hp 1.2 tsi in his Polo which seems a nice little engine. Personally I'd have the 1.6 tdi but this is not allowed. 

Views please?

When I retired I went from a 4.2 V8 Audi to a 1.4TSI Octavia 3 and was pleasantly surprised with the performance, particularly the mid-range torque, of the 1.4 TSI so I would suggest you consider the 1.4TSI.

Not read good things on here about the later 1.5TSI with ACT which had gained a bit of a reputation for kangaroo starts.

• Like 1

I don't think the 1.4TSI was used in the Fabia. I had the 1.2 TSI (4 cylinder) in a Roomster and now the 1.0TSI (3 cylinder) in a Fabia estate, both had the lower bhp and both pretty good for my purposes with the 1.0 being especially frugal unless thrashed!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The 1.4 TSI 132 kW (180ps) Twincharger engine was in Mk2 Fabia vRS 2010-2014/15.

Just give that one a miss but they are in budget.

Out of the budget likely but a Fabia mk3 1.2 TSI would be a good choice, then a 1.0 TSI pre GPF (2018) 

So a later 1.2 Fabia TSI,  or in any car / model  after 2012.

Or a 1.4 TSI with max 148 / 150 ps. 

A 1.0 or 1.2 MPI engine is KISS. 

Avoid a 1.4 TDI Euro 6 engine car even if it can be had for £6,500. 

Edited by roottoot

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bobupndown said:

It's gonna be a commuter for my late middle-aged sister in law, power output is not a big issue 😆

Town traffic commute or dual/motorway commute?

Just driver or passengers and/or heavy work stuff?

My wife is passed middle-age and she was given a Corsa courtesy car once and said it could hardly make it up the hills coming back and we're very used to "low" powered cars, they never offered it her again after she moaned about it.

Edited by nta16

Not sure if it is found in the later mk2 fabias but the 1.4 16v naturally aspirated engine may be worth looking at, its faster than the 1.2 htp but still very economical and providing its been serviced properly I understand its very reliable too. I had one for 5 years and never had an engine issue, now my brother has it and its still going strong.

• Like 1

If performance isn't needed and it's just the driver with no other load and the car is to be kept a very long time I'd avoid a turbo if possible, and based on my wife owning a 2015, 1.2 TSI (90hp) and direct injection.

Edited by nta16

17 hours ago, bobupndown said:

Any thoughts on the 1.2, 3 cylinder 69hp engine. 2014 so late mk2.

15 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

Rice pudding skins everywhere will rejoice in their safety...

@sepulchrave is correct there. I drive the version of this engine that came in the Mk1 Fabia, and has slightly less power. About 13000 miles later, albeit slowly, it's been okay, but I'd rather something with a bit more oomph.

These cars are great in urban environments where speed and power is less of a defining factor, but take one out to rural areas or even motorways and you'll realise the shortcomings of this engine rather quickly.

So what's my verdict? 1.4 16v, or even 1.6 16v if it HAS to be a petrol and a Mk2 Fabia. I don't know enough about the newer ones to give a clear answer.