On 24/07/2022 at 13:35, D.FYLAKTOS said:

Final thought: i wish my Felicia had some kind of Warning for the coolant temperature rising. 😟

I've been thinking this for a while.

Looks like, there was a warning LED for temp. on the dashboard of early Favorits.

rMBBQV.jpeg

Using a dedicated LED like this as a trigger, one can easily add a buzzer too. That'd be a perfect warning system.

New style dashboards (which I have) are missing this LED. Also, there isn't such a warning LED on Fellys too. Too bad. It's a stepback.

Of course, with already what we have, one can tinker and add a buzzer to the temp. gauge circuit. Maybe using a small Mosfet, zener, and some resistors.

But there is a more simple and straightforward solution without disturbing sensitive electronics.

Do you still have this? (Asking because: Aftermarket temp gauges can easily be modded to have a warning buzzer or flashing light. One already have these functions can be found too.)

ΕΙΚ-20201015_133157.jpg

Did you disable the temp display after this?

IMG_20200416_200523.jpg

If your answer is "yes" to all questions above, please look at this:

Plug question.jpg

Remember my recent topic? Asking about this plug? If you have this plug on Felicia block too, do you think what I'm thinking now?

It's a coolant plug!

According to 7zap data:

https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/felicia/fel/2000-101/1/103-103000/#33

Its threads are M14x1.5

That's the same thread size what I've ordered from AX as a temp. sensor.

DSC_0639.JPG

(My replacement sensor for temp gauge mod above)

In theory, you can screw this sensor above in the place of that coolant plug! You won't disturb your car's electronics and coolant hoses this way. What do you think about this now? :)

Also, If I were you, I would make the 1.6 radiator conversion and add a double fan setup for it.

Maybe something like this:

1.JPG

Make the second fan to have its own circuit and fuse, also add a manual emergency switch hidden but close for you to easy access when needed.

That's what I think as an ultimate cooling mod, worthy for your Trusty. :)

Edited by R_Blue

9 hours ago, R_Blue said:

Looks like, there was a warning LED for temp. on the dashboard of early Favorits.

rMBBQV.jpeg

Using a dedicated LED like this as a trigger, one can easily add a buzzer too. That'd be a perfect warning system.

New style dashboards (which I have) are missing this LED. Also, there isn't such a warning LED on Fellys too. Too bad. It's a stepback.

Of course, with already what we have, one can tinker and add a buzzer to the temp. gauge circuit. Maybe using a small Mosfet, zener, and some resistors.

Do you still have this? (Asking because: Aftermarket temp gauges can easily be modded to have a warning buzzer or flashing light. One already have these functions can be found too.)

ΕΙΚ-20201015_133157.jpg

Did you disable the temp display after this?

Remember my recent topic? Asking about this plug? If you have this plug on Felicia block too, do you think what I'm thinking now?

It's a coolant plug!

According to 7zap data:

https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/felicia/fel/2000-101/1/103-103000/#33

Its threads are M14x1.5

That's the same thread size what I've ordered from AX as a temp. sensor.

DSC_0639.JPG

(My replacement sensor for temp gauge mod above)

In theory, you can screw this sensor above in the place of that coolant plug! You won't disturb your car's electronics and coolant hoses this way. What do you think about this now? :)

Lucky guy!

Yes i still have them but after the well known problem the sensor ''reads'' the coolant temperature just before the radiator and it's hard to look in the console while driving especially in Mountain roads.

I had in the past a gauge in the plastic column (driver's side) but blocks the vision in parking movements.

I have to thing about it.

What worries me is that i can not attach a sensor inside the expansion tank for example so i could read the digital numbers  easily at a glance.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Some years ago i heard some noises from the engine bay, something like ''metal clang'', i opened the hood and after thoroughly check i found the guilty:

byPJ8nM.jpg

H4nJ0cd.jpg

dDTfkYY.jpg

An idiot from the bodywork workshop forgot it inside the engine bay.

• Sad 1
  • Groan 1

16 hours ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

An idiot from the bodywork workshop forgot it inside the engine bay.

A free tool for you. :biggrin:

I'm glad it didn't get caught in a belt. Results could be disastrous.

• Like 1

On 13/12/2022 at 12:46, R_Blue said:

This is actually used on racing Skodas :D

7_539_186917__2016-04-20_14-12-42_2.jpg

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

Another ''engine bay surprise'' today.

I asked for an inspection due to my future trip for Christmas, few days ego i noticed that the level of coolant was few cm lower i asked for a Coolant leak test (by ''pressing" as we say it here) and a ''sneaky" leak was found.

Sloppy work from previous mechanic with overtighten and a crack show-up in thermostat housing (it's plastic), the leak was on the lower side, not visible as you look the engine bay.

Plus some cracks show up in Poly-V belt and i change it as a precaution and the mechanic found one Steering Rack Boot with a cut so i replaced them both.

3 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

Do the work yourself

Yeah, if i had a backyard with plenty or space, a large lifting jack, a bench, an expensine toolbox,an extra guy to help me and lot of time then yes.

Try to work many blocks away from home on the road, in cold, with cars passing very close to you to see that even a bulb change in rear light is difficult.

If you need a tool that you haven't in the trunk or an extra hand to help you then "you are finished".

I speak by experience 30+ years working in the side of the road with motorcycles-cars.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

I remembered another one ''Engine surprise",

few years back i had an annoying squeaking noise (metal to metal) from the radiator area, i checked and was that black metallic cover where the fan is supported.

As i look it from above everything looked fine but when i grab and shake it was moving a bit from the lower side, i said this to a mechanic and he started ''it's an old car...it's normal due age....below has plastic sockets that must be broken" etc.

I insist to check it and when a day i went for oil-filter change i said to him to make an inspection.

Few hours later when i went to take it he said that he fixed, i made a quick check and yes was not moved as before (he didn't said what he has done).

After some days the same problem, at idle the same repeatable metallic noise from engine bay, i opened the hood an yes the cover was slacken so i start cursing.

I couldn't anything by myself (as i have said here ) so i went to another repair-shop, when he lift the car and removed the cover he called me ''come and see".

The cover has 4 screws (example photo from another Felicia)

eeqyxrqa1z9iexwamuj173y0c7arl3sa.jpg

2 up and two down and not plastic sockets as the idiot said and guess what? that stupid the first mechanic put a screw like this one !

lamarinobida-aytodiatrhth-48x25mm.jpg

Which of course due to vibrations got away.

In front of me the second mechanic put 2 new bolts and since then everything is fine and as you can imagine the first one got from me a ton of slander words.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found in my photos archive another unpleasant ''Engine bay'' surprise.

Xh2N8cE.jpg

Sloppy work from a mechanic in thermostat, the screws and the use of gasket glue, after some years i noticed the Coolant level went 2cm down and in purpose i asked for a ''pressing test'' and the new mechanic found a small leak.

Was from below, not obvious at first glance or as you look at it from above.

21 minutes ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

Sloppy work from a mechanic in thermostat, the screws and the use of gasket glue, after some years i noticed the Coolant level went 2cm down and in purpose i asked for a ''pressing test'' and the new mechanic found a small leak.

Was from below, not obvious at first glance or as you look at it from above.

The thermostat outlet shall be held in with 3 plastic thread screws, and no need for RTV just buy a 20cent O-RING, replace it and be done with it.....

Read again, i said ''archive'' which means Old.

IF you have paid attention you would notice the Yellow ring, was for a test period only since i use Blue, the thermostat housing has been replaced.

53 minutes ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

Take note on how it should look like

You are wasting your time. He is not able to do anything on his car by himself. It is called "the syndrome of two left hands".

• Haha 1
  • Groan 1

• 1 month later...

Another Engine Bay Surprise, Cats.

1) I was passing buy my parked car when i saw a note on the wind-shield that there is a cat beneath my car, i stopped looked down but saw nothing, then i heard the meowing coming from the engine bay.

Due to cold conditions of hidden from dogs a cat was inside, i pull the lever, press the button and raised the hood while in purpose i was on the side and of course the cat popped-up like a rocket, made a quick inspection no cables scratched or any other damage.

2) Some years later i was going to take my car for work when i saw some people gathered in front of my car, i said ''Oh no, accident" but when i get close they told me that there was a cat trapped and do not move it, i explain them that i can not stand all day and i had to go to work, they insisted that i must stay there till the cat goes away, i said to them ''Forget it, i have to go", they start shouting but my final answer was ''NO".

I looked beneath and there was no cat so it must be inside the engine day, i said to them that i will raise the hood so they can reach the cat by their own responsibility, so it happened, was a kitten and fortunately no damages.

Maybe the Kittens like the smell of my 10W-40 Synthetic oil, i can not explain it otherwise. 😄