Tyres any recommendations

thanks for all the the reply's, but like you say how many people are driving round with slightly different size tyres fitted and have no idea they are not stock and or fitted with cheap tyre brands. 

i would only be upping the profile from 40 to 45 and they will be of a premium brand 

cheers kev

• 4 weeks later...

hi every one, would it be ok to fit (Michelin cross climate 2) on one axel and (Michelin cross climate + on the other axel) ?

i managed to get hold of a pair of really good  (Michelin cross climate + part worns) but finding it a bit difficult to get the same tyres near to me, they all seam to be selling the (Michelin cross climate 2 tyre)

thanks kev

p.s they would be exactly the same size, just 2 on one axel would be + and the other axel would be 2s on them.

sorry forgot (225/40/18) 

Edited by Kevgem

@Kevgem

Do you really care if people you do not know and that are not anything to do with your loved ones tell you it is OK?

Personally i would do that.

But then i sometimes use All Season Tyres on the front of a FWD car and not on the rear or Snow tyres on the front and All Seasons on the rear. 

Not recommended by anyone anyplace really. But i have a devil not care attitude to advice and am not in the habit of crashing off the road in the past few decades, i did all that in my first decades of driving. 

see your point pal, they look very similar in tread pattern, but was just trying to find out if there could be any affect to the (heldex) working correctly.

cheers kev

3 minutes ago, Kevgem said:

trying to find out if there could be any affect to the (heldex) working correctly.

No idea, at least in part because I don't know if the 2 types are the same nominal size, never mind actual size.

1 minute ago, Kevgem said:

the only thing i noted was the cross climate 2 some of the sites where saying it was a run flat tyre.

cheers kev

If true, I guarantee that axle will feel like the tyres are made from concrete.

cheers lads for the help, just been on the phone and i can get cross climate 2s that are not run flats. don't know why but i thought the (cross climate 2s) where the run flat version of the (cross climate +s)

cheers kev! 

• Like 1

I went from 225/40r18 to 225/50r17 in effort to reduce road noise.

It was a 3% change up in size, the  fit is a little tight in the front. The speed is now 100% accurate according to my gps (and roadside speed cameras apparently 😈)

I’ve been looking at 215/50r17’s but I’m now not 100% convinced about losing 5mm of side wall.

The difference between 17 and 18 is incredible. Soooo serene.
I used Pace PC10’s as they were the cheapest I could find for the experiment. That tyre has impressed me. 30k km,  I’ve driven in snow/slush, flooded roads and 40+ deg Centigrade in the past 18months.

I’m on the hunt for some 16’s to put AT tyres on now for outback holidays.

Absolutely would not go back to 18’s.

• 2 weeks later...

i bite the bullet and had 4x Michelin cross climate tyres fitted best deal i could find was £110 each fitted balanced and disposal of my old tyres.

i went for the same size that was on the car when i bought it (225/40/18) the only thing i have noticed is a small increase of road nose but i expected that i have also noticed a better response on the steering the car dose feel a bit more responsive and more shore footed, to be honest there wasn't a hole lot wrong with the original tyres that where fitted i even thought of renewing like for like, i suppose its like some people say you have to pay for better quality and you do have to pay they are not cheap, but you do feel the difference just hope they live up to the hype of being a long wearing tyre.  

Edited by Kevgem
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Can't fault the Uniroyal Rainsport 5's, had them in a variety of sizes on a variety of cars, good solid all round performance. My Flying Spur had Kumho tyres all round and I was tempted to swap them but they turned out to be excellent 👌. I have a Saab 9000 and a Honda Civic too, both running Michelin tyres, and both of them have had MOT advisories about sidewall cracking after just a couple of years, apparently many Michelin tyres are now made in China.

• Haha 1

Regardless of Michelin manufacturing tyres in China which might well be to a higher quality control standard than anything made in Europe or anyplace, the ones with cracks in the sidewalls were maybe made in Dundee in Scotland where Michelin no longer have a factory.  

16 hours ago, aero-hot said:

Can't fault the Uniroyal Rainsport 5's, had them in a variety of sizes on a variety of cars, good solid all round performance. My Flying Spur had Kumho tyres all round and I was tempted to swap them but they turned out to be excellent 👌. I have a Saab 9000 and a Honda Civic too, both running Michelin tyres, and both of them have had MOT advisories about sidewall cracking after just a couple of years, apparently many Michelin tyres are now made in China.

I bought my Michelin Crossclimate tyres in 2017 for my 2014 Superb II. I'm about to replace them as the tread is low near the edges but not complaining as I've done over 36k miles with them - no sign of cracking. Fabulous tyres especially in the wet and amazingly quiet. The only slight gripe is they only come with 7mm tread new - but they have lasted the test of time.

Edited by bigjohn

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2022 at 18:52, aero-hot said:

My Flying Spur had Kumho tyres all round and I was tempted to swap them but they turned out to be excellent 👌

Nice to hear, as I’ve just gone Kumho pa51 all round 👍🏻