Superb L&K 272 Hatch incoming!

Hello everyone!  Some of you may remember me from a good few years in the Octy forums. 

I had a Petrol vRS Mk2 Estate from new 2010 to 2017 (80k miles), then a Mk3 of the same for two years.  Loved them.  

I then moved to a Kia Stinger GTS 3.3 in summer 2019. Amazing car in many ways, but not perfect.  

Long PH thread here: 

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=47&t=1829074

This was replaced in September 2021 with a 2018 BMW 530e. Reasons explained in the above thread, but TLDR, I needed something less thirsty (27mpg) without a rattling sunroof, other niggles and a poor local dealer…….

I have absolutely loved the 530e.  The quality is amazing and I average (electric and ICE) about 63mpg. 

But, it is almost too competent and just a little dull.  I find myself taking Mrs Dunc’s 1.4 TSI 150 DSG Golf out for some fun sometimes!  

And a bigger but, we have just picked up a black working cocker spaniel puppy and I need a hatch or estate ASAP.  

So, as per the title, I paid a deposit today on a 2018 (68) Superb 272 L&K. 

Every toy / option except sunroof (I think).  Really excited. I feel like I should have bought one of these earlier……we’ll see! 

Looking forward to being back on here and contributing. You guys are comfortably the best forum crowd I have come across!

Lots more to come. Need to sell the BMW before I collect the Superb.  

Cheers. 

Edited by dunc69
  • Like 3

Couple of pics. 

Beemer advertised for sale

today on Pistonheads.  

Have been reading Superb threads on here whenever I’ve had a few mins today.  

I’m sure I’ll have loads of questions when the 272 arrives. 

DCB3600F-2F0E-4C5C-B8B7-194D472AE81F.jpeg

89A1E3A8-B241-48E9-A377-25D9662B3FFA.jpeg

47423084-0B62-4C44-9B36-DA03397BAF3B.jpeg

• Like 3

Sold BMW today. Being picked up Monday. 

272 arriving Wednesday 24th August.   

7 sleeps ‘til new car day!! 

• Like 1

It’s here and, predictably, it’s raining. 

Absolutely beautiful in brilliant silver metallic.  Has been prepared well by Skoda.  

Drove it 50 yards into the drive after it came off the trailer, and all the controls felt so intuitive - my fifth Skoda. 

Much more to come once I’ve had a good poke round and a decent drive later today.  

1989D09C-3903-4087-A59A-2931FBBD121D.thumb.jpeg.c43400ecf2919f16c5913e759fb0e14b.jpeg

• Like 2

Parcel shelf is clever in how it stows.  Dog mode! 🐾

So, had a little drive and poke round. 

Definitely a comfy cruiser in Normal mode. Goes nicely in Sport. 

Need to play with Individual settings I think.  

Canton sounds good. 

5 series had passive dampers and steered better, but I knew that. 

Love the toys and spec.  Perforated leather seems decent quality.  

Tracking slightly out - but will check tyre pressures later first - will let them cool down. AD2340EA-4093-4B8A-8279-46A36936B1A0.thumb.jpeg.bc2b70d1dd92387c79352755ce83ad15.jpeg03FA646D-D498-49B8-B721-3D7EC334F599.thumb.jpeg.c001e6f687bc9ebebfcf501917fee501.jpeg

Edited by dunc69
  • Like 1

Tyre pressures done and set. Will assess tracking tomorrow.  

Have had another good poke round. 
Very pleased so far!  

Feel very comfy being back with Skoda. 

It's toss up between the hatch or the estate for practicality vs looks. For me it's the estate for it's squarer back end & more practical load carrying capacity up to the roof.

The L&K is nicely spec'd & yours has a few extras by the looks of it. After two years of owning mine I found out I had the Virtual Boot opening pedal thingy with your foot which is handy from time to time. I have turned off the Lane Assist (really annoying thing) & I never use the Auto Park Assist. I would have gladly swapped those features two for a sun roof but when you buy used you have to take what you get in terms of spec & colour. That said I'm happy with mine after 5 years of ownership.  A limo with a fair turn of speed & sure footed 4 x 4 system.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

It's toss up between the hatch or the estate for practicality vs looks. For me it's the estate for it's squarer back end & more practical load carrying capacity up to the roof.

The L&K is nicely spec'd & yours has a few extras by the looks of it. After two years of owning mine I found out I had the Virtual Boot opening pedal thingy with your foot which is handy from time to time. I have turned off the Lane Assist (really annoying thing) & I never use the Auto Park Assist. I would have gladly swapped those features two for a sun roof but when you buy used you have to take what you get in terms of spec & colour. That said I'm happy with mine after 5 years of ownership.  A limo with a fair turn of speed & sure footed 4 x 4 system.

Agreed Colin. 

I’ve had three Octavia estates, two petrol vRS and a petrol Scout, so I fancied a change of shape. 

625L vs 660L is not really a compromise when you consider the competition. 

To add, L&K petrol 272 / 280 estates are extremely rare on the second hand market, so when I saw this hatch in the perfect spec / colour scheme for me, I had to go for it!  

Very happy so far (day 1). 

Edited by dunc69
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

& I never use the Auto Park Assist. I 

You might not realise but it's generally always scanning at speeds of up to about 20mph. I use it when parallel parking now because it's much quicker and I no longer have to faff around putting the passenger mirror into the L position to see the kerb etc

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Patent said:

You might not realise but it's generally always scanning at speeds of up to about 20mph. I use it when parallel parking now because it's much quicker and I no longer have to faff around putting the passenger mirror into the L position to see the kerb etc

Interesting, might give this a go! 

When I first had my car, I didn't like lane assist very much, but I stuck with it and now find it helpful and keep it on all the time.  I don't parallel park very often, but I use it when I do and keep an eye on what it's doing and take over if I'm not happy ie too near or too far from the kerb.  The virtual pedal for the boot is very useful when you have both hands full and it's constantly in use when we go shopping.

• Like 1

Hi guys, your thoughts please! 

The car has been supplied with three nearly new Pirelli Cinturato tyres and one new Pirelli Powergy tyre.  

All premium to be fair, but a different tread pattern / rolling resistance / wet weather braking performance (even if the differences are slight) on the same axle? 

Note, the tracking seems slightly out - the car goes in a straight line but the wheel is slightly tipped to the left.  

Many thanks all. 

4 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

The car has been supplied with three nearly new Pirelli Cinturato tyres and one new Pirelli Powergy tyre.  

All premium to be fair, but a different tread pattern / rolling resistance / wet weather braking performance (even if the differences are slight) on the same axle? 

Note, the tracking seems slightly out - the car goes in a straight line but the wheel is slightly tipped to the left.  

Many thanks all. 

Good choice of car @dunc69. I also think the Stinger is great, individual like the early VRS used to be but it’s probably too thirsty for me. Style-wise it’s hard converting from VRS mode 😁I do prefer the style of the 19” wheels on your car. Mine has the 18” and I just replaced the original front  Continental Sport Contact tyres at 23k miles with the same ones for £140 each, they grip and are quiet. I fitted new Bosch 864S wipers at £19 a pair yesterday. It is a bit of a barge but you’ll find it more comfortable and relaxing to drive than the VRS and in DCC sport, capable enough to keep up with most non-lunatic drivers. Driven thoughtfully in the summer and journeys over 10 miles, you should see 40 Mpg. Not sure you’re missing much with the sunroof. Whilst mine is great in the summer it has had its faults. https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/492468-glass-roof-cracked/page/2/

The sunroof mesh wind deflector (£220) has 2 small vertical splits either due to being open at speed (my fault) or it was done during the sunroof surround repair (not my fault) .  Either way I need to replace it. Hopefully the drains won’t block and leak into the car. It’s the best all-round car I have owned for toys, performance and comfort for the price paid. Enjoy! 

8 minutes ago, Redboy said:

Good choice of car @dunc69. I also think the Stinger is great, individual like the early VRS used to be but it’s probably too thirsty for me. Style-wise it’s hard converting from VRS mode 😁I do prefer the style of the 19” wheels on your car. Mine has the 18” and I just replaced the original front  Continental Sport Contact tyres at 23k miles with the same ones for £140 each, they grip and are quiet. I fitted new Bosch 864S wipers at £19 a pair yesterday. It is a bit of a barge but you’ll find it more comfortable and relaxing to drive than the VRS and in DCC sport, capable enough to keep up with most non-lunatic drivers. Driven thoughtfully in the summer and journeys over 10 miles, you should see 40 Mpg. Not sure you’re missing much with the sunroof. Whilst mine is great in the summer it has had its faults. https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/492468-glass-roof-cracked/page/2/

The sunroof mesh wind deflector (£220) has 2 small vertical splits either due to being open at speed (my fault) or it was done during the sunroof surround repair (not my fault) .  Either way I need to replace it. Hopefully the drains won’t block and leak into the car. It’s the best all-round car I have owned for toys, performance and comfort for the price paid. Enjoy! 

Thanks Redboy, appreciate your thoughts. 

The sunroof is something I actively avoided.  The creaking roof on my Stinger was one of the key reasons it had to go.  

Good luck with getting your sorted. 

Yes, very pleased with my purchase. I hope a do-it-all car that will keep me happy.  Comfy family and dog-toting barge 90% of the time, quickish car the rest.   

Edited by dunc69
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

Many thanks all. 

I thought mixing different tyres on the same axle was a no no. It's definitely worth checking the tracking though - front & back. When I got mine the front tracking was Ok but the rears were way out of wack (probably from the factory). I didn't realise it until the car went in for a service & the garage called to say that the inside of the rear tyres were down to the canvass while the outside edges still had 3-4mm of tread. On a ramp it's an obvious spot but when the car is on the ground it's not easy to see the tyre wear of the inside of the rears. I had a Hunter 4 wheel alignment done to make sure it was as good as it could be & to prolong tyre life. According to a garage tech I spoke to about it, this particular VAG chassis is known for wheel tracking issues. Who knew?

If you can visually see a wheel tipped in / out I would have a closer look at the suspension in case it's had a wack. My son carried on driving his Polo for weeks after curbing it to miss a cyclist & wore out a tyre on the outside edge in double quick time. Turned out he had bent a control arm so no tracking adjustment was going to fix that.    

Edited by Colin170CR
gramma
  • Like 1

Having looked at the two Pirelli tyres on the rear axle more closely - their tread patterns are very similar.  

I might just leave that, rather than demand another tyre. 

Unless you guys tell me different!  Any tyre experts out there?

My VAG Indy will do a laser 4-wheel alignment for £48, so that’s my next port of call, and I’ll ask the Skoda Used Approved dealer to cover that - after all, shouldn’t a used car from a franchised dealer have its tracking spot on?

Otherwise, have done a good few miles on mixed roads today and really liking the car. It is comfortable, really quiet, completely rattle free (only noise is tyres) and really quick when needed.  

Have definitely made the right choice on my experience so far! 

Just get the dealer to agree the tracking refund before you stick them with a bill. I only say that in case they want to asses the cars tracking first. Our 280 still has an off centre wheel to the left and it bugs the bejeesus out of me too, but the tracking is spot on. 

• Like 1