Oil Sump pan badly cracked and crazed

JakeB1941

Photo cant be viewed, please dont assume that everyone has a Google account or is happy to give their e-mail address and password to see a photograph.

• Groan 1

This is one of those early Karoq's that suffered from the engine stall problem and 'kangarooing' on starting off. It still has the jumps on a regular basis it is 4 years old and has done only 8600 miles. Wonder if any other 'jumping' Karoq owners have had similar problems. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fezhkij0e21ldss/20220915_171736.jpg?dl=0

Why the groan Jake?

If I wanted peoples views on something I would not post a photograph that could not be read.

I can view your dropbox image.

Edited by J.R.

Whilst I would not describe the marking as flash which would be found around the moulding joint line of a pressure die casting they are definitely not cracks now that we can see them in close up, they stand up in relief from the surface, shrinkage wrinkles more like.

Tthere will be a technical name for them but they are not cracks and the pan is not "badly cracked" so the comment "it's normal" is not BS.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your input.

Okay whatever its called I have not got a clue but my Skoda dealer I have shown it to this morning has said he and his head honcho mechanic have never seen anything like it, neither had the M.O.T people (As you will appreciateIt it was not part of the test by the way) and  neither had the service personnel at my local garage. All have advised to get it repaired the quote being £361 with a re-use of the existing and new oil. To a lay person it is a frightening position to be in as it looks as if at any minute some of the deepest canyons/cracks could expand therefore what am I to do. It will be done next week! If the replacement cast is normal and smooth as you would expect then the current one was and is faulty at the time of manufacture. In which case I shall be making a claim.

Will update the post as and when I have something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They will be getting Skoda / VW UK's Tecnical department on it, pictures, area manager inspection or any old crap they want to tell you.

Or they need to.

No re-using oil, no cost to you if a Design, Manufacturing, Material fault.  As in a Warranty Issue.  

Reported to a Authorised Repairer ASAP,  and now they can do what they damn well know they need to do.

New Part delivered, if the car needs to come off the road now then a Courtesy Car.

Skoda UK can not have a car drop oil all over the Kings Highway and they know it if the sump has fractures or the risk of failing.

Screenshot 2022-09-16 15.45.26.png

Screenshot 2022-09-16 15.46.05.png

SKODA_Warranty_Terms_November_2021.pdf

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are no fractures visible there, it is dry and oiltight, oil would leak from the tiniest capilliary fissure.

There are no deep canyons/cracks to expand.

1 hour ago, JakeB1941 said:

All have advised to get it repaired the quote being £361 with a re-use of the existing and new oil

I have read and re-read that, if it is not  a typo then all are advising that they should repair something on an oil pan that they claim to have never seen before and do an oil change.

If the above really is correct then they are taking you for a pigeon and exploiting your anxiety, the only way they could be repairing the surface marking would be to go over it with a linisher, £361 for an oil change and a quick polish up with an air tool, nice work if you can get it 🙄

Ignore it and them, drive your car and enjoy it!

• Like 3

What we need and what Skoda / VW Group UK needs is someone that does NDT / Non-Destructive Testing. 

I am quite sure that some Master Tech that has never seen that before, or that says, they are all like that will be on the case. Literally.

NDT  is my young lads speciality on and offshore in the oil and gas industry, along with rope access. 

A sump off a car would be a doddle.

3-monkeys-620x2401-620x240.jpg.0597dcccb1b603ee629f930dd02f3a1f.jpg.939737afd76f92587a5186702860b8b2.jpg.437740cb8adc15893a8bb2e12df18a96.jpg.e5844141102ada4b15e59a1399e57573.jpg

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

Your money, your choice.

Personally I dont care what the outside of a bucket looks like cosmetically, it's whether it is likely to leak that concerns me, that sump will not.

• Like 1

Just reading the above. Good luck with any warranty claim for that!

There's nothing wrong, it's all cosmetic, I take it the part is working as intended?  And it's on the underside of the vehicle. ( not sure about Skoda but many warranties I've read over the years have exclusions or limitations for underneath the car ).  And nobody else has reported anything like it.  And am I correct saying it was 4yrs before anyone noticed this on the car?

Sounds like and very much looks like to me, that some corrosive substance has found it's way on to the pan.  I can't see anything there that would be covered by warranty. At 4yrs old, do you have a warranty?

17 hours ago, JakeB1941 said:

This is one of those early Karoq's that suffered from the engine stall problem and 'kangarooing' on starting off. It still has the jumps on a regular basis it is 4 years old and has done only 8600 miles. Wonder if any other 'jumping' Karoq owners have had similar problem.

The fix for the kangarooing issue came out years ago. Has it not been applied to this car?    As for the stall problem, I don't recall ever reading the 1.5tsi had a stall problem. I'm sure others will put me right if there was.

EDIT:  just throwing a theory out for discussion. 8600 miles over 4 years is incredibly low. What if something like road salt during the winter months had found it's way on to the underside of the pan and then the car hadn't been used for sometime - i.e. it wasn't cleaned off? 

Edited by kodiaqsportline

If just cosmetic and not an issue that will cause any issue within a few years then Skoda can very quickly confirm that.

They will no doubt have an engineer look and report and then no need for a TPI.  

Simply clever as that.

Just a manufacturing incident, like Zinc Inclusion was but not one that would cost customer time and money to get resolved.

Like the Kangerooing that was greatly exaggerated online.  Or so VW wished it was.

Just as they do when any issues are reported, they are on it ASAP. Not.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/459545-is-there-anyone-not-having-problems-with-15-tsi-manual/page/2

@driventodevon Posted their experience of what happened with them. Maybe others think they used the wrong term when they say 'stalled'.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/459545-is-there-anyone-not-having-problems-with-15-tsi-manual

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/09/2022 at 19:36, JakeB1941 said:

How on earth has this happened.  

There is no external damage or evidence of leaks anywhere 

The Verdict.....l

Well done to those of you who said it was casting flash as that is the verdict from those that know (personally never heard of it) although it was apparantly quite a severe looking cast flash which to the lay person, i.e. `me` would have looked very ominous. Hey ho! wish I

had asked you guys earlier saved me a lot of grief.

It is apparantly, as someone suggested, a common condition especially on mass produced castings and is harmless.  You live and learn.

Cheers everybody thank you all for your input.

Jake.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late on this thread but this is not "casting flash", they are firing cracks or heat shock cracks which are usually caused by molten metal being poured into an unheated or unevenly heated mold.

Here's a link to a full explanation: https://www.giessereilexikon.com/en/foundry-lexicon/Encyclopedia/show/firing-cracks-4794/?cHash=8f9240aecbfc9fac9c45c28366397420

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1