MKIII Fabia battery type: only EFB?

jon15

Recently my MKIII's battery finally gave up the ghost after almost 8 years, so I'm in the market for a new one.

The current one is by MOLL and it says EFB on it. In the users' manual, however, I noticed it says "AGM - battery type" in the Abbreviations section. I assume that's just a general reference and likely not for this car in particular? Or can MKIII in fact also use AGM-type batteries?

AGM's are designed for Stop/Start cars

EFB tend to be cheaper, and live a little less time as a rule of thumb.

Recommend you fit EFB, unless you have Stop/Start and you could switch to an AGM that was made for the job.

Be sure to fit the same CCA rating as you have, and remember that the car will need adapting to the new battery ideally also with tool.

59 minutes ago, jon15 said:

Or can MKIII in fact also use AGM-type batteries?

Mine came with an EFB Moll as well and has stop/start.

Yes you can fit an AGM but you will want to code the new battery type to the car to change it from EFB to AGM.

As above.

Thanks, AG Falco

Aren’t all MK3 Škodas Start-Stop anyway? In fact, all 2014 and later cars in general? My Fabia surely is… that’s why it’s surprising they fit an EFB battery in the first placs?

Edited by jon15
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, varooom said:

It also goes against their own SSP document.

Screenshot_2022-09-20-10-56-40-531_com.google.android_apps.pdfviewer.thumb.jpg.415f75eab4d24631e2528088f191d049.jpg

However, EFB is a choice for smaller cars, AGM for bigger cars.

https://batteryworld.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/efb-or-agm-which-battery-do-i-need

Bottom line for you is you can choose either for your car.

Thanks, I went ahead and got an EFB one…

• Like 1

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

My wife's 2015 Mk3 start/stop was EFB, a Moll (no longer available IIRC) car manufacturers work to decimal places with costings and AGM were possibly even more expensive nearly 8 (and 7) years ago.

Well done on getting nearly 8 years out of the EFB (IIRC someone told me 7 years would be lucky, and IIRC with an AGM) but bear in mind whilst your battery is new your car and charging system are nearly 8 years old with use so possibly you might get less than nearly 8 years with the replacement battery (depending on other factors too).

The very hot and extreme hot weather we had will have done for a lot of car batteries and those that survived may not later this autumn and into winter.

Edited by nta16
ETA:

I had the alternator and battery on my MY16 Octavia replaced under warranty in the first year of ownership due to the stop-start not functioning. The cheapskates at the supplying dealer replaced the original AGM with a Moll EFB! - which still tests OK at 6 years, but I do 'nurse' it with an occasional charge because of frequently doing fairly short runs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Warrior193 said:

The cheapskates at the supplying dealer replaced the original AGM with a Moll EFB! - which still tests OK at 6 years, but I do 'nurse' it with an occasional charge because of frequently doing fairly short runs.

As you might know already I've been told by another forum poster that the alternator would take care of this and there no need for recharging the battery - personally by decades of experience I believe the same as you and more so with modern cars particularly German marque and/or start/stop. 

By your own admission you have only needed to charge your car battery once in 45 years!

On that basis I have 4 decades  experience of Bungy Jumping but I dont proffer my knowledge (none) or evangelical beliefs of the subject to others.

4 hours ago, nta16 said:

As you might know already I've been told by another forum poster that the alternator would take care of this and there no need for recharging the battery - personally by decades of experience I believe the same as you and more so with modern cars particularly German marque and/or start/stop. 

I think you will find that the mode of operation of energy recuperation VW uses normally prevents the alternator from charging the battery more than 60-75% - this to allow battery capacity for the energy recovered under recuperation conditions - which, on shorter trips is limited and does not normally get the battery anywhere near 100% charged. It is not ideal for these types of battery to be undercharged for extended periods.   

• Like 1

On 21/09/2022 at 18:02, Warrior193 said:

I think you will find that the mode of operation of energy recuperation VW uses normally prevents the alternator from charging the battery more than 60-75% - this to allow battery capacity for the energy recovered under recuperation conditions - which, on shorter trips is limited and does not normally get the battery anywhere near 100% charged. It is not ideal for these types of battery to be undercharged for extended periods.   

I've not seen the exact percentage pinned down for the Mk3 but again I'm with [ you ] on this.  I find many don't know the importance and I'm just trying to help them finding out in often a very inconvenient way.

As autumn progresses and then into winter there'll be many premature battery deaths and battery replacement sales, particularly this year - perhaps I should just shut up and get shares in car battery sales. 😄 

Edited by nta16
ETA: you
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 20/09/2022 at 11:17, varooom said:

It also goes against their own SSP document.

Screenshot_2022-09-20-10-56-40-531_com.google.android_apps.pdfviewer.thumb.jpg.415f75eab4d24631e2528088f191d049.jpg

However, EFB is a choice for smaller cars, AGM for bigger cars.

https://batteryworld.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/efb-or-agm-which-battery-do-i-need

Bottom line for you is you can choose either for your car.

What the bit at the bottom about charging. Something about not connecting the charger negative directly to the terminal?

15 minutes ago, Gonzini said:

What the bit at the bottom about charging.

When charging a Stop / Start  EFB / AGM battery you need to:-

Use a smart charger and,

Connect the Positive to the battery terminal,

Connect the Negative to the earthing point on the inner wing.

Note that the nut is painted so you need to attach it to the clip at the end of the earthing cable under the nut.

See your manual for detail / diagram.

Thanks, AG Falco

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gonzini said:

What the bit at the bottom about charging. Something about not connecting the charger negative directly to the terminal?

That's so the car can know the energy being input for state of charge calculation/measurement.

The negative charge point will vary, on mine it is just above my battery terminal, a read of the manual will tell you.

I'll have to pop the bonnet and have a look. Its been stress free motoring for 3 years, but the problems started this morning....
I don't think its the battery though! Unless it can cause a sudden constant high idle with no warning lights on the dash.

Edited by Gonzini

15 hours ago, Gonzini said:

Arrgh, cheers. Maybe i should i read up on such things.

Have a read of your Owner's Manual it will tell you about this and a lot more very useful information on your car. - https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Models

14 hours ago, Gonzini said:

I don't think its the battery though! Unless it can cause a sudden constant high idle with no warning lights on the dash.

Don't be so sure and don't wait for the warning lights and messages (on anything on the car) prevention is better than cure.

This summer's very hot weather wasn't good for batteries and now the shorter days and colder weather is here and both get more so there will be more than even usual for the time of year battery issues.  I've tried to advice charging car batteries to help against these sudden issues at inconvenient times, like when it's wet , dark and cold, and save some unnecessary premature new battery purchases.  

From the 2019 Owner's Manual. -

ghhghgh.jpg.6365a302d7b0e29ca606d7be19ef3ae7.jpg

Earth point for charging. -

zszszz.jpg.57e2d4f1f10f23ed63908eee6fa9f1d6.jpg

Edited by nta16
ETA: Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

15 hours ago, varooom said:

That's so the car can know the energy being input for state of charge calculation/measurement.

varooom have you got a link to the info and details on this please that I could read (SSP? and what does SSP stand for?).  TIA.

Just now, nta16 said:

varooom have you got a link to the info and details on this please that I could read (SSP? and what does SSP stand for?).  TIA.

Those are from VW (erWin VW) sadly I have paid for these myself, but you might be able to find those wild on the internet.

SSP = Self Study Program

I find that to get ALL the information for our cars, we need to read non-Skoda SSP's as so much is missing for us.  VW has quite a good range of these documents as does Audi.

• Thanks 1