Maintenance list to keep car long time

Hi,

I've a 2016 mk3 999cc manual petrol and as my name suggests I'd like to keep the car for 15 years.

I was wondering what maintenance tips you could advise me on please to get my Octavia to 2031 without insane repairs costs.

I have changes the following at regular intervals already..

Oil

Oil filter

Cabin filter

Air filter

Coolant

Break fluid

Air conditioning service

Timing belt

Spark plugs

Struts

I've yet to replace the battery and I've got 121k km mileage. Not sure how much longer I will get out of it.

I'm just not sure are their any other considerations?

Are their other belts other than timing belt I should replace?

Does power steering fluid need to be flushed and should I replace manual transmission fluid?

Should I simply replace thermostat once I get to high mileage ?

Apologies if these are stupid question.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks a million roottoot. Thats a very comprehensive list. I'll keep a copy and refer to it.

How do you stand on replacing manual transmission fluid. I've heard conflicting reports.

Thanks

No harm in replacing it come time, @ whatever km / miles those in the actual know suggest or if the gearbox feels like it needs it.

I know nothing about manual boxes, but when not in an offroader they should not suffer much because of the environment used in.

• Like 1

Thanks theclient, what type of oil should I use? Obviously the engine says 5w30 but I believe the owners manual refers to transmission fluid as life long and doesn't tell you what type is in it.

Am I correct to say I should just drain and replace and not flush it?

As columbo would say, just one more thing..got the oil changed only last week and they put 5w20 in it. Could that lead to issues or is it better for more modern engines?

Thanks again

@keepfor15

The recommended oil for Fixed or Variable servicing of the engine is 5w 30 FS III (long life oil)   That is VW504 00 / 507 00.

But you are wanting to run your 1.0 TSI 3 cylinder engine for 15 year.  So maybe do fixed service Oil & Filter changes @ 9,400 miles / 372 days or sooner.

& do not use LONG LIFE OIL.

Use VW 502 00 which is 5w 40 Full Synthetic.   

Then fingers crossed a longer lived 3 cylinder Euro 6 TSI

Since they came in in 2015/16 they have just been on the roads for 7 years, so lets get to 10 years and beyond and see how well they last. 

http://volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners-and-drivers/servicing/service-plans/service-schedules.html

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

No mention of discs and pads being replaced in that 121000km? I am certainly considering keeping my Octavia long term having owned since February 2017 when it had 11 miles on it and now has approaching 65000. 

Regular servicing with new discs and pads, brake fluid change and cambelt and water pump change. Car still feels like new and feels like it’ll last forever. 

• Like 1

You only need to replace discs and pads as required.  So only time will tell how often that is.

*Service brakes, pre or post winter or both, strip, clean and grease as preventative servicing, 

if maintaining a car is a hobby and past time then your time spent might be cheaper than buying parts that are not required if preventive maintenance is dine.*

Your time is likely cheaper than paying for other peoples time.

1.0TSI Timing belt changes needs the correct gear and more than just ideas.   Not a DIY job, unless you are a good DIY'er.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/507324-10-tsi-cam-belt-change

http://www.mechanexpert.com/timing-belt-replacement-on-mk7-golf-1-0-tsi

PS

At some point Ignition coils / coil may need replaced.

Not letting spark plugs go too long between being replaced to the point they shorten the life of coils can be an expense saver.

Checking and cleaning an air filter can save fuel, so money, and do not replace air filter if a shake and vacuum can extend the life.

Same with a Pollen filter, remove it, check it is dry and not smelly, vaccum it, blow it through, clean the area. 

These things are not expensive to replace, but are free to check & replace only as needed.

Mony a mickle maks a muckle over 15 years. 

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks roottoot and threadbear

I've have consistently changed the oil and 9300 miles (15k km) since I got the car. Granted the last 2 services they put 5w20 in instead. I was considering changing the interval to 5000 miles once the car hits 100k miles.

I'm gonna look at changing to 5w40 now to give the engine better chance.

Any suggestions on what oil to use for the manual transmission?

I've had the pads done front and back and the waterpump was done when I got timing belt done 👍👍

Thanks again

Thanks Roottoot, a friend said best to get it done when they are doing the timing belt (when they are dowm there). Figure change both every 100k km.

I'll have to dig out receipts but I don't think it was mad expensive, it was done as part of regular service

Had to get all 4 struts done last week. Almost €900. Hope I get another 6 years from the new ones 🤞

6 minutes ago, keepfor15 said:

a friend said best to get it done when they are doing the timing belt (when they are dowm there).

The advice to replace the water pump at the same time as the timing belt is only valid on engines where they are on the same end of the engine - which means it does NOT apply to the 1.0, 1.4 & 1.5 TSI engines.

• Like 2
  • Groan 1

2 minutes ago, keepfor15 said:

How long should waterpump last generally?

I can only remember one post regarding water pump failure on the smaller TSI engines, so given the oldest cars are now 9 years old I don't think it's something to be regarded as a preventative maintenance job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As an aside, I'd say it's wise to budget for general wear and tear items, and even some other things, too. As someone who is presently running a 15 (turning 16) year old car, it's wise to have money available for when something breaks big time rather than scrabbling around at the last moment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Breezy Pete. 

In truth I'd never have considered replacing it. I was doing some searching online and Scotty Kilmer recommended flushing and replacing power steering fluid.

Is it more hassle than it's worth?

Spot on AnnoyingPentium,

I don't wanna be left high and dry without a car. Have to keep a buffer fund.

Just wanna try a take as many preventative measure as I can and Hope for the best.🤞🤞

Seemingly oil and coolant are by far the most important

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, keepfor15 said:

Thanks PetrolDave. Its looking like its got its one and only water so 🤣🤞🤞

One mechanical water pump plus one electric after-run coolant pump IIRC.

image.png.0297b6e5be7f56e228c8cc8ecf467d3a.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keepfor15 said:

Thanks PetrolDave

One of those midway through replacements maybe. 7 or 8 years in

If it ain't broke don't fix it.  You don't usually get a sudden, total failure of the pump. You'll probably start to notice a slight water loss or the heating not working properly. Then's the time to investigate.  No guarantee that if you replace the pump it won't fail in a short time.

One think you should check is if the water expansion tank has the wording "mit silikat" stamped  on it.  If it has, the silica bag inside the tank is prone to rupture and the contents will block your heater matrix which would need repacing.

Many people have removed the bag and then change the water every 4 or 5 years. Quite a few threads on this subject.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ords

Alot of great info in this Thread now. Can dip in and out.

Does anyone know what type of oil I should replace with manual transmission fluid with ?

Thanks again to all👍

• Thanks 1