MK3 245 vrs reliability? Skoda still quality?

17 minutes ago, langers2k said:

Grabbing a list of PR codes for the VIN would be the easiest way to check, if you have PR-7CS listed, then it'll have a GPF.

Timeline for the reg changes from VW:

As the vRS was an existing model, the changes would have applied to cars built after the 1st September 2018. That means it'll be MY19 (Model Year 19) or '68 plate onwards. Some very early '68 plates built before September probably avoided the GPF /cdn-cgi/mirage/5f4ef285c808150b3f209d495b21415e83a1029349e39555bc33d19ff4f54894/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/emoticons/emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Had a quick look on eBay at downpipes, Both shown below were listed as Golf MK7 GTI's which has the same (or very similar) 245ps engine as the vRS.

I believe the left is a pre-GPF and the right is with a GPF, it's probably that massive cylinder at the bottom /cdn-cgi/mirage/5f4ef285c808150b3f209d495b21415e83a1029349e39555bc33d19ff4f54894/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/emoticons/emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

/cdn-cgi/mirage/5f4ef285c808150b3f209d495b21415e83a1029349e39555bc33d19ff4f54894/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_12/image.thumb.png.946d4ab999a10696a3da84a119b0f27c.png

Interesting on this point is it worth going for the GPF, in terms of things like ULez. 

I was trying to get a 5/10 yr road map of tfl but there's stone walling me. I'm worried their going to turn up the CO2 per gram in 5 years or something. And I'll be f'd. 

1 hour ago, Mattyboy91 said:

Interesting on this point is it worth going for the GPF, in terms of things like ULez. 

I was trying to get a 5/10 yr road map of tfl but there's stone walling me. I'm worried their going to turn up the CO2 per gram in 5 years or something. And I'll be f'd. 

It's impossible to know.

All the Euro6 standard revisions have the same limits by fuel type, it's the testing that changed. I would hope that Euro6 will be enough for most emission zones for a while. Euro7 is due to be introduced in 2025 I think...

2 hours ago, Mattyboy91 said:

Hmm I was under the impression all 2019 had GPF, would be interesting if there was difference in the mid year change. 

Seems like Skoda playing catch up to regs.

you should be able to see it under the car I believe, towards the engine, has a heat shield around it.

Screenshot_2022-12-18-08-59-56-43_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I don't have a VRS, I have the Gen3B "Budack" engine.

TBH, I haven't checked for a while.

Last time I thought much about my GPF was here.

I've had a search online, and there really seems to be a dearth of information on how to determine if your car does or doesn't have a GPF.

AFAIK, the cut-off point for vehicles needing to have a GPF was Sept 2019, but while people claim to know what's going on with GPFs, when you read their stories, they mostly boil down to "VAG are fitting GPFs to petrol vehicles." And that's about the extent of the information conveyed, as I see it.

Edited by EnterName

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

Grabbing a list of PR codes for the VIN would be the easiest way to check, if you have PR-7CS listed, then it'll have a GPF.

Ah ha! Thanks @langers2k, that code I have.

So the "rule" about indirect injection engines not having GPFs does not hold.

image.png.cb4e607da7336f6af5ea58f71793b382.png

1 hour ago, EnterName said:

Ah ha! Thanks @langers2k, that code I have.

So the "rule" about indirect injection engines not having GPFs does not hold.

image.png.cb4e607da7336f6af5ea58f71793b382.png

Sorry EnterName, in my post on page3 I was referring the mk3 Octavia vRS TSI engines not the 190ps budack engine, apologies for the mix up.

Edited by Bogwoppit
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bogwoppit said:

Sorry EnterName, in my post on page3 I was referring the mk3 Octavia vRS TSI engines not the 190ps budack engine, apologies for the mix up.

No worries, but it rather begs the question, how does the Budack engine manage to have indirect injection and a GPF?

19 hours ago, Mattyboy91 said:

I drove the golf GTi today, mmmmm you do seem to get alot for your money. I might be converting :0. I preferred the vrs seats massively. 

If it helps I have a VRS Challenge special edition. Had it since new, Nov 2019, 37k absolutely no issues. Well apart from frequently bursting the low pro tyres.

22 hours ago, Mattyboy91 said:

I drove the golf GTi today, mmmmm you do seem to get alot for your money. I might be converting :0. I preferred the vrs seats massively. 

What's the info/spec on the GTi?

We ended up in a Golf GTi, it was a close thing though between the vRS 245 and a GTi PP 245.

We didn't need the space and had already owned 4 Skoda's, so went for the GTi in the end.

• Like 2

Stock spec, 220 bhp 66 Really liked the car a little bit better in terms of size for me. Seemed a little quieter. 

I'm still looking for a Octavia with my dream spec in racing blue though haha. But if I find a golf with a pano roof I think I'm sold. 

33 minutes ago, Bogwoppit said:

Be wary of the sun/pano roof on the golf, have a read here:

GolfGTIforum.co.uk - An independent forum for Volkswagen Golf GTI enthusiasts.

Omg that so depressing 😞 cheers for sharing that I had no idea ! :0 

oh god... Lol 

Edited by Mattyboy91
Hell

My 7.5 230 GTI has heated leather front seats which I much prefer to the vRS seats (2015 standard 220)..

I've also got a pano roof - no problems so far.

Gaz

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

My 7.5 230 GTI has heated leather front seats which I much prefer to the vRS seats (2015 standard 220)..

I've also got a pano roof - no problems so far.

Gaz

That's good to hear! I do love the tartan seats, but prefer the vrs ones to them. Either way both very comfy. I'm so glad this forum exists so helpful. 

8 hours ago, Mattyboy91 said:

Has one else noticed the prices increasing recently? A deal I thought was mental 2 weeks ago was actually pretty decent. I'm seeing 2017 main dealer vrs going for 25k! 😬

Maybe a slump around Christmas? I know the increasing interest rate is going to make it unlikely and harder for people to get loans/finances.

I hope it's just the time but it does seem like there's a bit of a shift in the winds.

Took me a while to get a loan but managed to get one at 5% 1 day before the interest rate rise. Funny thing is.. I told my dad and he was like why did you bother doing that I'd give you the money, He's known I was trying to get a loan for weeks. 🙄

1 minute ago, Mattyboy91 said:

I hope it's just the time but it does seem like there's a bit of a shift in the winds.

Took me a while to get a loan but managed to get one at 5% 1 day before the interest rate rise. Funny thing is.. I told my dad and he was like why did you bother doing that I'd give you the money, He's known I was trying to get a loan for weeks. 🙄

Difficult to know what causes the rises isnt it, continued exposure around Ukraine/Russia, perceived demand, lack of cars on the market, etc.

Thats a pretty good interest rate, I was lucky to pick mine up for 3.3% but that was back in May before they started rising any of the interest rates.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dooge said:

Difficult to know what causes the rises isnt it, continued exposure around Ukraine/Russia, perceived demand, lack of cars on the market, etc.

Thats a pretty good interest rate, I was lucky to pick mine up for 3.3% but that was back in May before they started rising any of the interest rates.

Very true, my god 3.3 is just insane now, 4.9% was the best I found from mark's, but they offered me 7.9.

I actually found out Experian had the wrong address which was affecting my score by 38 points! After I fixed that Sainsbury's offered 5 with instant approval, having a nectar card has payed off!

Although I won't be smiling when my mortgage rate goes up though in 2 years time 😞

got a 17 plate I'm enquiring about: 

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202212072337368?atmobcid=soc3

Edited by Mattyboy91
Link

3 minutes ago, Mattyboy91 said:

Very true, my god 3.3 is just insane now, 4.9% was the best I found from mark's, but they offered me 7.9.

I actually found out Experian had the wrong address which was affecting my score by 38 points! After I fixed that Sainsbury's offered 5 with instant approval, having a nectar card has payed off!

Although I won't be smiling when my mortgage rate goes up though in 2 years time 😞

got a 17 plate I'm enquiring about: 

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202212072337368?atmobcid=soc3

My fixed rate is up in September and Im praying that the interest rate comes down a little!

Looks well specced, winter pack, black pack, etc. Im not a fan of black cars but looks tidy. 

4 minutes ago, Dooge said:

My fixed rate is up in September and Im praying that the interest rate comes down a little!

Looks well specced, winter pack, black pack, etc. Im not a fan of black cars but looks tidy. 

I hope it does for you!

It's my 3rd choice colour haha, blue, white then black. 

• Like 1