Control unit for battery monitoring brings error code

nj3turbo

Hello, dear since I bought my car brings my car the following error message control unit for battery monitoring. I have once after a battery replacement the battery re-tuned, but that was also without success. I was once told that the Skoda Fabia actually has no control unit for battery monitoring? Do you have any idea what the problem could be? A photo I attach below with.

Screenshot_2022-11-28-18-04-04-588_com.voltasit.obdeleven.jpg

The 'battery monitoring' is a current clamp on the negative battery terminal. 

Using a non genuine diagnostic tool wont always give perfect descriptions so that may be the confusion. 

It could be the current clamp has failed or the wiring to it.

36 minutes ago, nj3turbo said:

I have once after a battery replacement

Was the correct type of battery fitted?

Most Fabia's have an EFB stop/start type battery fitted.

Thanks, AG Falco

• Like 1

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

A photo of your battery (in landscape as that gives more info) might help.

Below are photos I lifted from here or the web (I forget) that show the awkward (to me) small plastic connector off the negative post clamp side of the battery, this is for the battery monitoring.

You could check the clip is clean inside and fully located, though you should see a dash warning(s) if it is not. 

stopstartbatteryconnection.jpg.f4852aa8f0bf8f92e01831169a4f71e3.jpg

stopstartbatteryconnectionclip.thumb.jpg.0bb4823d883e8cabe833b942fb93cbdb.jpg

Edited by nta16
ETA: Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

On 28.11.2022 at 21:43, ApertureS said:

Die 'Batterieüberwachung' ist eine Stromzange am Minuspol der Batterie. 

Die Verwendung eines nicht originalen Diagnosewerkzeugs liefert nicht immer perfekte Beschreibungen, was zu Verwirrung führen kann. 

Es könnte sein, dass die Stromzange defekt ist oder die Verkabelung dazu.

I have looked at the negative terminal of the battery. I noticed that there was probably once a Mader damage, because everything is taped with insulating tape. I have seen that two small wires come out of the pliers must be so? Or must there be more sticking out. I'll take a picture tonight. An EFB stop-start battery is installed. @nta16 thanks for the photos, that's exactly what it looks like. I'm only concerned about the two small wires. And don't worry, I'm not a mechanic either.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like someone before might have done something, possibly wrong, if there is insulating tape.  There are just two wires as I remember.

People make mistakes, as in the photos I posted I think the battery post clamp has been over tightened, it needs to be tight so that it does not move at all but that looks squashed.

If I remember correctly the start/stop function will not work if that plastic connector is disconnected, or damaged, perhaps the insulating tape was from a time when the plastic connector was disconnected to disable the start/stop function instead of pressing the button at every start up of the car.

34 minutes ago, nj3turbo said:

Here are three photos. Please do not be surprised that is a Mader protection connected to the pole with. Only before, that was already before! The error message.....

Sorry my wife's car has just returned her to work so I can not compare with yours and I do not know what a Mader protection is or for but if the problem and error message was before its installation then obviously it was not the original cause whether it contributes to the issue now or not.

I am not a big fan of the look of the Mader protection wiring though it may all be perfectly fine in installation and operation.

I am curious about what is sticking out from the green/yellow and red/blue cables sleeving as that does not look correct to me and I can not remember ever noticing the sleeving being like that on my wife's, certainly not with stray wires protruding.

njnjjnjn.thumb.jpg.ff56393610d58729d6a1b460f2ae09b6.jpg

Edited by nta16
better image quality
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nta16 said:

Bitte beachten Sie -  ich bin  kein  Mechaniker oder Experte in irgendetwas.

Entschuldigung, das Auto meiner Frau hat sie gerade zur Arbeit zurückgebracht, daher kann ich es nicht mit Ihrem vergleichen, und ich weiß nicht, was ein Mader-Schutz ist oder wofür, aber wenn das Problem und die Fehlermeldung vor dem Einbau aufgetreten sind, dann war es offensichtlich nicht die ursprüngliche Ursache, ob es so ist jetzt zum Thema beiträgt oder nicht.

Ich bin kein großer Fan des Aussehens der Mader-Schutzverkabelung, obwohl bei Installation und Betrieb alles in Ordnung sein kann.

Ich bin neugierig, was aus der grün/gelben und rot/blauen Kabelummantelung herausragt, da das für mich nicht richtig aussieht, und ich kann mich nicht erinnern, jemals bemerkt zu haben, dass die Ummantelung bei meiner Frau so war, schon gar nicht mit hervorstehenden Streudrähten.

njnjjnjn.thumb.jpg.ff56393610d58729d6a1b460f2ae09b6.jpg

nta16 if it calms you the Mader protection flies out the days because he does not work more. So you think that's a cable that sticks out there? Who look at the whole thing on Friday times with my father. Let's see what comes of it, maybe it's just a cable break in there somewhere. Thanks for your help ;)

VW's computer programs are complex, over complex, intertwined and over-intrusive in my opinion, so any aftermarket additions may cause issues add-on alarms systems particularly from what I have seen (I do not know, or say that the Mader protection is an alarm).

My preference is to not only disconnect but to remove and make good any electrical connections from the removed add-on system as much as possible.

I was not worried or over excited or upset by the Mader protection wires just that I would prefer the two cables were sleeved together as much as is appropriate, this would also offer further protection to the red live cable that is very close to the negative post clamp and take it further away from the post clamp.

But those cables are insulated, the wires that I circled appear to be bare.

If I get the opportunity I will photograph how the connection is in my wife's car for you.  Good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ApertureS said:

the bit you think is a wire just looks like a bit of twig or hair.

You might be right but to me it looks shiny, so good conditions or shampoo used, also reflective and copper-like looking to me.

Edited by nta16
photos from phone camera weren't used

Well, not too productive but hopefully some reassurance (I hope).

Provided it is just a twig and not some bare cables someone has slipped up the sleeving (I have seen some strange stuff done with wiring and some times by professionals, professional what I am not sure).

So as with the first reply you got from ApertureS if you have no issues on the car (warning messages or lights) then the scan tool application you are using is leading you astray about this.

Photo taken with 2013Fiji (battery eater) digital camera, 3.2 Mega Pixels !!

DSCF0002.thumb.JPG.223b1f4610a1e23d955084450645cd5d.JPG

10 hours ago, nta16 said:

People make mistakes, as in the photos I posted I think the battery post clamp has been over tightened, it needs to be tight so that it does not move at all but that looks squashed.

Unfortunately, having a "fully overtightened" battery clamp, can also mean that the local dealership has in the past removed that lead! 

12 hours ago, rum4mo said:

Out of interest, what are the black wire from the battery -VE and the red wire showing, being used for?

20 hours ago, nj3turbo said:

Please do not be surprised that is a Mader protection connected to the pole with.

I don't know what Mader protection is but obviously an aftermarket item.

5 minutes ago, nta16 said:

I don't know what Mader protection is but obviously an aftermarket item.

Protection against critters that nibble on wiring

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234288886190

VAG talk about 'Marten' damage to wiring in several documents.

Marten damage often occurs in summer, as the animals' territorial behaviour is particularly pronounced during mating season. If a marten living in your car detects the scent of another marten, it becomes aggressive – and it bites into cables, hoses and anything else it can get between its teeth.

Pine Marten

Well if it's an electric ultrasonic siren type thing I hope it's more effective than the cheap thing my neighbour fitted to front of his property to keep animals off his front garden.  He fitted, but not set it up, just before going out for the night and it went off every time  a car drove passed in the road or someone walked by on the public pavement and was very audile and annoying.  As he was out I disconnected it from it's power supply and left him a note.

Next day I went across to help him set it up properly and turn the audio off, it was too cheap to have any real control range and made for Canada where they must have much bigger gardens and worried about moose, bears and spiders.  It was very effective at keeping bears away as we never saw any all the time it was fitted, totally useless at keeping other animals off his front garden though.  The clonk of the switching was so loud that you could hear it walking passed in the middle of the road.