Tick over speed?

EP90

For a 2016is it Outdoor 2 ltr.  Its just come back from a small service and running at 1 thousand rpm.  which is quicker than pre service and feels too fast.  

The frosty weather has highlighted one wing mirror failing to defrost, I presume a heater element failure.  Can this be a diy job or is it a garage?  Thanks.

9 minutes ago, EP90 said:

For a 2016is it Outdoor 2 ltr.  Its just come back from a small service and running at 1 thousand rpm.  which is quicker than pre service and feels too fast.  

The frosty weather has highlighted one wing mirror failing to defrost, I presume a heater element failure.  Can this be a diy job or is it a garage?  Thanks.

That could be a DPF regeneration cycle, or the battery needed extra power, so the car will increase the rpm to add energy into the 'store'.

DPF regen, the fans would be spinning after you turned off.

Ideally you need a code reader to find out why the mirror is not working.

Alternatively you could measure resistance of each side, and a broken one will read differently.

Too many possibles, but DIY is possible depending on your experience levels.

1 hour ago, EP90 said:

The frosty weather has highlighted one wing mirror failing to defrost, I presume a heater element failure.  Can this be a diy job or is it a garage?

• Like 1

I found out that tickover speed is also higher during cold weather, mine also runs on a 1000 rpms ( well 986 exactly, according to my reader), it must have to do with the battery and the cold, if it is silent in the car, and you start it up, it will run at 800 something, then, you will notice a very slight “click” behind the dash, and the rpm will increase. That “click” follows a slight drop in voltage from the alternator, on which the management decides that the rpms will have to be increased. 
Mirror glass is easy replacement.

• Like 1

Varooom,  Urrell thanks for the mirror reply, hadn't realised it was as simple and didn't think of youtube. 

Revs are constant at start up and idle, engine is not on regen. Taking foot of accelerator at 50 Kph (30mph) the car just keeps on trundling along.  I'm wondering if its associated with the cold weather as Bas750 mentioned.  It went in for a service before this cold snap, was in the garage for 3 days waiting for a body part, then came out into the cold.  After 6 years maybe the battery is getting tired and needs the extra revs ???  Back to the garage for a battery check and they can check the mirror at the same time.

• Like 1

The extra tickover speed, if the car is not doing a regen then the J519 controller will be increasing the revs, and at the same time will turn off (override) high energy demanding items.

This time of year, when you have additional needs on the battery, this will take over, and increase the idle speed.

If the battery you have now is tired @EP90 then this is why the revs are increased.

@Bas750 This will be the clicking noises you are hearing when your car has low stored battery SoC (State of Charge)

773625286_J519IdleRevs.png.3a07a1408f1e2ad9f74f5a1d72850ec6.png

• Like 1

Good explanation @varooom . My battery is only half a year old and in good condition, ( tested it yesterday it still has 680 cranking amps) but the cold and cold startings take their toll. Best to do; long runs and few cold starts. ( better for the dpf to)

• Like 1

@toot service was just fluids and look see/test drive.  I checked the air filter and looks ok.

@Vroooom  I think your diagnosis fits my latest symptoms.  Bitter cold, foggy morning, car started but seemed slower to turn over.  Drove to town with lights, heater, air con, back window heater on.  The air con started turning itself off.  I could turn it back on for a few minutes then it would go off.  etc. Revs are still at 1000.   Anyway a battery check plus wing mirror at my garage a a couple of days.

Thanks everyone..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@EP90 There are some SSP (learning documents) that mention about battery drain where they say about say moving in slow moving traffic may not be enough to keep up with the power demand.

So fits in with what you say about driving in cold using additional loading.

Definitely will drain, and increase revs/disable items for protection.

Hopefully when you get chance to check at garage you will know better what is going on with battery/mirror.

Seems someone put these online, feel free to have a read (more on the site for anyone to take a read)

https://procarmanuals.com/vag-ssp-504-vehicle-batteries/

Edited by varooom
  • Like 3

I drove maybe 3 miles to a resto last night,  enough for the heater to start putting out heat and the water temp to just begin to climb, on arrival 1k RPM tickover, was expecting a regen but no fans, car has only done similar short journeys this week once with rear screen heater on.

The battery was not discharged (I have a voltmeter), I think because of the cold weather the initial high tickover at start up was prolonged.

Mines been doing this since it got really cold. Also does it in the summer when it's really hot. Seems to me it's either trying to get more heat into the cabin quicker in the winter or running the AC faster in the summer.