Front assist (collision avoidance) braked out of the blue. What could have caused it?

andyste1

Just had the wife ring me very stressed out, as she was driving the car (30mph through town) when it decided to brake to a stop out of the blue. Luckily there were no cars behind her at the time. She continued her journey and it was fine after that.

She said she could hear occasional beeps in the 5 minutes leading up to it happening, and said it sounded a bit like the parking sensors (but obviously not those as she was doing over 10mph). I guess these were related to what happened.

Any theories as to what might have caused the collision avoidance to kick in? It's a bit worrying that something could have so easily fooled the radar, unless it's a fault of course. Am I right in saying this can be turned off? The thought of it happening again has us both a bit spooked now!

Edited by andyste1

• andyste1 changed the title to Front assist (collision avoidance) braked out of the blue. What could have caused it?

A bollard, railing, parked car.

Is your collision sensor set to max or min sensitivity.

The Red Horror symbol has appeared for many of us over the years.

Unexpected and silly (on the part of the car).

iI don’t suffer from spurious alarms these days with sensitivity turned down.

• Like 1

I had that yesterday in our Kodiaq approaching a cattle grid...   I can you assume the grid reflected that front radar in such a way that it thought it was another stationary vehicle 

Had mine turned down to minimum, still used to go off occasionally backing down my drive, so now turned it off, not a fan of all these gizmos on modern cars, driven for 50 years without them..... 

15 hours ago, Bryfly said:

Had mine turned down to minimum, still used to go off occasionally backing down my drive, so now turned it off, not a fan of all these gizmos on modern cars, driven for 50 years without them..... 

That’s a new one, front radar causing braking whilst reversing 

I'm confused. Isn't the radar, when fitted, situated at the top of the windscreen where the rain sensor is situated?

Surely emergency braking is initiated by the parking proximity sensors in the bumper.

tom

32 minutes ago, Sanqhar said:

I'm confused. Isn't the radar, when fitted, situated at the top of the windscreen where the rain sensor is situated?

Surely emergency braking is initiated by the parking proximity sensors in the bumper.

tom

The radar for emergency braking ( front assist)  is situated in the centre of the front grill.

The manoeuvre braking provides low speed braking using the parking sensors.

Edited by Kenny R
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenny R said:

The radar for emergency braking ( front assist)  is situated in the centre of the front grill.

The manoeuvre braking provides low speed braking using the parking sensors.

Thanks.

Presumably the radar is only fitted if you have ACC.  I don't, does that mean I don't have Emergency Braking?

tom

1 hour ago, Sanqhar said:

Thanks.

Presumably the radar is only fitted if you have ACC.  I don't, does that mean I don't have Emergency Braking?

tom

I don’t have ACC.

The Red Horror braking can still happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sanqhar said:

Thanks.

tom

As far as I'm aware it's standard fit across the range regardless.  Our 2018 SE certainly has it

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

That’s a new one, front radar causing braking whilst reversing 

I guess the rear sensors/camera must be linked in as well, as that is the only time it happens to me, never had a front emergency brake event, but turning it off has stopped it happening when reversing down my drive...

Kodiaq rather than Karoq, however on current facelift model I'm convinced that the front camera plays a part.  I often get braking for cars parked at the side of the road when they'refacing oncoming traffic and not for those parked in the direction of traffic.  It seems unlikely the radar can tell the difference?

• 1 year later...

Near me is a dual carriageway, with a sharp bend to the left. Being in town, it is 40mph limit, with chevron signs on centre island to remind drivers where to go (some fail!). My radar picks up one of these signs, as it does appear to be ahead, but a second or less before following the turn. Frightened the life out of me, first time it did it, when in the Octavia, but the Karoq ignores it!

• 1 month later...
On 21/12/2022 at 15:08, BoxerBoy said:

A bollard, railing, parked car.

Is your collision sensor set to max or min sensitivity.

The Red Horror symbol has appeared for many of us over the years.

Unexpected and silly (on the part of the car).

iI don’t suffer from spurious alarms these days with sensitivity turned down.

I appreciate this is an old post. But this has just happened to me today. Absolutely no traffic in front. A car was waiting to come out of a side road much further ahead but they weren’t sticking out onto my road. It scared me as there was a car behind me. 
how do I turn the sensitivity down? I have a Skoda fabia

16 minutes ago, Stonekeeper said:

Thanks.  What I can see is an “advanced warning” which is set at medium. I’m assuming it means that it will just warn me earlier or later that it’s going to happen. Not a sensitivity setting as such?

12 hours ago, Headphones said:

I appreciate this is an old post. But this has just happened to me today. Absolutely no traffic in front. A car was waiting to come out of a side road much further ahead but they weren’t sticking out onto my road. It scared me as there was a car behind me. 
how do I turn the sensitivity down? I have a Skoda fabia

Perhaps ask on the Fabia forum ...