Karoq cam belt change - start saving now !

DBSurrey

27 minutes ago, Driveucrazy said:

Karoq petrol 1.5 TSI FwD    2018 year

I have the same but I’m still none the wiser from the table which gearbox I have, except it’s 7 speed.

Edited by DBSurrey

You have a 7 speed twin dry clutch DSG, of which there is only one type, Skoda produce about 2,500 a day. They are have been used in over 50 VW Group applications, different software, so it is a DQ200. 

Not used with a car with Haldex / AWD. 

Used with 1.0,1.2,1.4,1.5 & 1.8 TSI, or 1.2,1,4 or 1.6 TDI,s with 150 ps / 250 nM or less front wheel Skoda's.  (Kodiaq an exception.)

Electrified Skoda models, Mild hybrid are a bit different , DQ200-e and a 1.5 TSI PHEV gets a DQ400-e.

Edited by toot

18 minutes ago, toot said:

You have a 7 speed twin dry clutch DSG, of which there is only one type, Skoda produce about 2,500 a day. They are have been used in over 50 VW Group applications, different software, so it is a DQ200. 

Not used with a car with Haldex / AWD. 

Used with 1.0,1.2,1.4,1.5 & 1.8 TSI, or 1.2,1,4 or 1.6 TDI,s with 150 ps / 250 nM or less front wheel Skoda's.  (Kodiaq an exception.)

Electrified Skoda models, Mild hybrid are a bit different , DQ200-e and a 1.5 TSI PHEV gets a DQ400-e.

Many thanks.  So no service interval then.  I assume that means no filter or oil to change.  Is there an oil level indicator or dipstick on the gearbox do you know ?

The Dealership staff & customer services will tell you sealed for life.

They are not 'Sealed for life'.  but there is no Servicing guidelines, recommendations or schedule. 

Nothing to be done unless there is a fault. No oil changes at 40,000 or 80,000 miles.   (The wet clutch DSGs have the same oil in the box and MCU, the DQ200 has 2 oils.)

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/510641-yeti-2016-automatic-geabox-oil-change

19 minutes ago, toot said:

The Dealership staff & customer services will tell you sealed for life.

They are not 'Sealed for life'.  but there is no Servicing guidelines, recommendations or schedule. 

Nothing to be done unless there is a fault. No oil changes at 40,000 or 80,000 miles.   (The wet clutch DSGs have the same oil in the box and MCU, the DQ200 has 2 oils.)

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/510641-yeti-2016-automatic-geabox-oil-change

Many thanks, once again.

We fitted a new genuine DQ200 Mechatronic in a Leon last week, bloody thing insisted on the immobiliser being recoded with both keys so the customer had to bring in the second key, I mean why? We have done dozens of them and have never needed to do that.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

1 hour ago, Crasher said:

We fitted a new genuine DQ200 Mechatronic in a Leon last week, bloody thing insisted on the immobiliser being recoded with both keys so the customer had to bring in the second key, I mean why? We have done dozens of them and have never needed to do that.

Because VAG urrrggghh, how weird that it needed key for that, must be some additional security malarky.

• Like 1

We have had similar stupid things happen with other devices such as the BCM on a Passat type 36, the usual screen wash output failure. I plugged it in, started ODIS in GFF for the module coding, SVM and “transport” unlock and the entire car went ballistic, changed the coding on nearly every module, reconfigured the ABS ECU for left hand drive and locked it… I mean, WTF!

Edited by Crasher
  • Groan 1

OT,

My Corsa Electric was in for days and was shutting down during a Recall Action on it.

That is what happens with a Dealership without the Bandwidth in the building to do & complete the updates and they get to 98% or so and then that is it,

try try and try again.   Technically known at Robert the Bruce's spider procedure. .

Less OT.

Remanufactured.

A DQ381

Edited by toot

58 minutes ago, Crasher said:

We have had similar stupid things happen with other devices such as the BCM on a Passat type 36, the usual screen wash output failure. I plugged it in, started ODIS in GFF for the module coding, SVM and “transport” unlock and the entire car went ballistic, changed the coding on nearly every module, reconfigured the ABS ECU for left hand drive and locked it… I mean, WTF!

I now realise how far auto electronics have come on since my first cars. I haven't a clue what these abbreviations mean!😂

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, OldKaroq said:

I now realise how far auto electronics have come on since my first cars. I haven't a clue what these abbreviations mean!😂

You're not alone!

BCM = Body Control Module

ODIS = Offboard Diagnostic Information System (Dealer diagnostic tool)

GFF = Guided Fault Finding (part of ODIS)

SVM = Software Version Management

• Like 2

We fitted a brand new genuine steering gear to a 2017 SQ5 this morning, started the engine and ping, ABS light on... WTF? Went into the ABS, coding incorrect, another WTF! Thankfully I had a prescan so I could code it back quickly, it had altered the coding for a car with direct TPMS instead of indirect, I mean WHY?

• Sad 1
  • Groan 1

I looked at the Skoda UK servicing website today https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/servicing-maintenance-fixed-price

and note that the cambelt option at year five says 'recommended' but then gets a X against it at year ten. That to me indicates that the change at year five is not a requirement - only at year ten.

Cambelts can fail, but I suspect that nowadays the percentage that do fail, given the volumes of cars manufactured every year, is very low and even then are probably caused by external influence (oil or other contamination) rather than manufacturing faults. Using the word 'recommended' helps Skoda 1) in batting back claims for replacement engines if the cambelt fails and the change wasn't done and 2) gives work for the dealerships. If Skoda just said 'recommended but the cambelts are designed with a 100k mile / 10 year life', then they'd lose these two benefits.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, VRT24 said:

I looked at the Skoda UK servicing website today https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/servicing-maintenance-fixed-price

and note that the cambelt option at year five says 'recommended' but then gets a X against it at year ten. That to me indicates that the change at year five is not a requirement - only at year ten.

Cambelts can fail, but I suspect that nowadays the percentage that do fail, given the volumes of cars manufactured every year, is very low and even then are probably caused by external influence (oil or other contamination) rather than manufacturing faults. Using the word 'recommended' helps Skoda 1) in batting back claims for replacement engines if the cambelt fails and the change wasn't done and 2) gives work for the dealerships. If Skoda just said 'recommended but the cambelts are designed with a 100k mile / 10 year life', then they'd lose these two benefits.

What do you expect from a company that can't even publish the recommended grade of engine oil in the owner's manual ?

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

On 25/01/2023 at 20:24, varooom said:

I couldn’t see how to remove the plastic cover to access this part of the engine.  Is there another way for me to know whether my car is affected by this issue? It’s a 19-plate, 2WD, 1.5 litre petrol engine, TSI, DSG automatic gearbox, in SE-L trim, registered in the UK in June 2019

6 minutes ago, Mark-Surrey said:

I couldn’t see how to remove the plastic cover to access this part of the engine.  Is there another way for me to know whether my car is affected by this issue? It’s a 19-plate, 2WD, 1.5 litre petrol engine, TSI, DSG automatic gearbox, in SE-L trim, registered in the UK in June 2019

Engine code off V5

or VIN sent via PM so I can look

I might then be able to tell what it has, but need a moment as doing other things.

@Mark-Surrey There is no 'issue' other than one with the UK Importers & authorised repairers / Main Dealeships.   

You have a Euro 6 1.5 TSI ACT that Skoda UK / VW UK recommends having the Cam Belt replaced at 5 years.

You chose to ignore or not and if you are doing an inspection sooner, or at 5 years or anytime after that then that is that. 

33 minutes ago, varooom said:

Engine code off V5

or VIN sent via PM so I can look

I might then be able to tell what it has, but need a moment as doing other things.

My V5C (log book) document shows the “Engine Number” as 610885. Is this the “Engine Code” you referred to?

28 minutes ago, toot said:

@Mark-Surrey There is no 'issue' other than one with the UK Importers & authorised repairers / Main Dealeships.   

You have a Euro 6 1.5 TSI ACT that Skoda UK / VW UK recommends having the Cam Belt replaced at 5 years.

You chose to ignore or not and if you are doing an inspection sooner, or at 5 years or anytime after that then that is that. 

Thanks for the clarification. I’m thinking of changing our Karoq to an EV within the next couple of years. I might end up switching it before it reaches 5 years old, to avoid the whole discussion of whether to get this cam belt changed at all.