Nicola Sturgeon MSP and First Minister Scotland resigning.

Ootohere

There were Scottish born PM,s ones with Scottish heritage / roots / family and party leaders they were not popular,

so in Scotland anyone can be disliked for any reason,

but the greedy might be detested the most.

Man of the people Gordon Brown will be sticking his oar in, that will give a boost to the SNP, even ALBA, the Greens, the Tories, everyone other than Labour.

Edited by toot

Very well put, @Aspman and a better job than I could have done. This is why I said on page 1 that it's a complex discussion (or in a roundabout way).

This from the FT seems pretty fair and thorough to me but maybe a Scot would know a bit more than I.

The last two paragraphs;

As for Sturgeon herself, within minutes of the news, pundits were noting that she had not secured independence and trotting out the cliché that all political careers end in failure. This is an inadequate conclusion. She rebuilt the separatist campaign after the 2014 defeat and created an image of a modern, confident, liberal Scotland capable of standing on its own. That she did not get all the way there does not mean she did not advance the journey.

Hers are big shoes to fill and history may yet show that her tenure was the high water mark of separatism. This is a good day for unionists. Nonetheless, those who want to preserve the UK would be foolish to rest easy and assume the fight is now won just because a talented general has left the field.

Hopefully the paywall's been removed 
https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcontent%2F40b11dcb-f0df-44d6-be07-207b09528c02

Edited by @Lee

2 names in for the Leader of the SNP party & First Minister so far.

Humza Yousaf & Ash Regan 

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64693915

I seriously hope the current Health Minister, Ex Transport Minister and Ex Justice Minister has not a snowballs chance in hell of getting the gig.

Hopeless / Useless & hapless as far as i am concerned. 

Surely also in the minds of any paid up SNP members that get a vote.

I am waiting to see if the other Geez  a Job stands.

That is  Keith Brown MSP Ex Cabinet Secretary for Justice & Veterans, for Economy, Jobs and Fair work, for Infrastructure, Investment and Cities, for Transport, and for any damn thing.

Probably he will be happy as 2nd man, the power behind the throne, or something like that. Maybe he brings money into the party because i can not see what else his skills are.

I have no vote or skin in the race as I cancelled my SNP membership a while back because the First Ministers useless husband could not even deal efficiently with Memberships and direct debits and auto renewals.

The SNP elected members in Holyrood are not of a standard to run a Jumble Sale let alone a country IMO. Neither are those in the other parties as far as i am concerned.

@toot What's your opinion of Humza Yousaf, George? I don't know enough about him tbh. That said he does seem enthusiastic from what I have seen or read about him.
Maybe the SNP could do with some younger blood front and centre.

Very enthusiastic.    I was not pleased he lives in one area, Broughty Ferry but stood in a constituency he represented in when he lived in that area.

He says and his a supporters do that Nicola Sturgeon trusted him to carry out some of the most difficult jobs.

True, 3 chances and unlike the Spider in the Cave with Robert the Bruce he tried, tried and tried again.  Here we are now February 2023 and no better with NHS Scotland with him in the job he was given.

Keith Brown MSP has ruled him self out which is good.   

Hopefully there will not just be Angus Robertson or Kate Forbes left standing if they do & getting 100 votes from 20 SNP areas. 

There must be others that are not going to split the SNP they way that both of those will.

At times of high demand in the NHS take care and do not be a plonker.

Always have an assistant with you with crutches when the Minister for Health and already getting medical treatments. 

Always have insurance cover when driving if you are a the Transport Minister or even if not, & if the Justice Minister make a bit of an effort with stuff, like knowing what you are doing..

Edited by toot
  • Thanks 1

Angus Robertson MSP and Ex MP. 'Will not stand.'

He was not re-elected as a MP.  So was Out out out!.   Lost his seat to Douglas Ross. 

Shows his popularity in the constituency he had represented.   Answer is stand in a safe seat in another area for Holyrood...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_Robertson

Maybe getting a job not tax payer funded would be an idea for him. 

It is a good thing he is not standing and will not be FM of Scotland, that would have really put people against the SNP.

http://itv.com/watch/news/angus-robertson-will-not-stand-to-succeed-nicola-sturgeon-as-leader-as-snp-leader/cgnrp6f

Kate Forbes MSP is standing.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-64702474

http://bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-64704134   Nicola Sturgeon also gave her a big job to do so must have had faith in her.

This means we might hear her views on same sex marriage and abortions & the transgender recognition bill as the Scottish Parliament passed and the UK has blocked. 

Also on other stuff, we can assume she is for Independence for Scotland.

Edited by toot

As i see it today the Tory / Unionist papers are biging up how Humza Yousaf is the out front favourite.  They wish as they know how badly he will do as First Minister.

They are getting tore into Kate Forbes because she might well be the Tories nightmare if such a thing exists.

As it is they are both tying themselves up because of their hypocrisy over their beliefs which they will just put aside to get the job. 

We will see what the 3rd candidate says once she starts putting her case to be the SNP leader and First Minister.

To me this look as bad as it was when the Conservative & Unionists had to elect a leader from the ones that put themselves forward then got enough support to continue.

Not sure how the SNP can get on if they were to be declared Bankrupt in the future. 

It looks like the party is pretty well skint. 

I doubt any of the 3 standing will bring more paying members into the party or any major donors. 

Edited by toot

Kate Forbes MSP's personal life, family, religion etc is her business.   

What i find odd is that what we are getting told seems not much and going against her.  

I think her life as it is or was might have her getting more support if the public knew.  But then it is SNP members only that vote in the new leader.

http://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-scottish-mail-on-sunday/20210207/281998970145551

http://thecourier.co.uk/fp/columnists/2605558/financial-experience-key-credentials

Edited by toot
  • Like 2

On 21/02/2023 at 14:47, toot said:

But then it is SNP members only that vote in the new leader

Interesting. Wasn't it the case that the current/former SNP First Minister heavily criticised the Conservative & Unionist Party for doing that very thing -  the election of their new leader by party members only? I might be wrong, but can't see them missing the opportunity to score some political points. 

Did she criticise their procedure for selecting a leader?  That will be in the Daily Mail, Express, Daily Record, Sun etc now if she did.   And more fool her as she was just put in place without any voting.  But then they were not forming the government.    They are just electing a Leader.  The Scottish Parliament can block that person from being the First Minister.  Not likely they will but they can.  So different from the PM who the Tories voted in as Leader and then automatically became PM after seeing the King.    Edit. I see when Salmons stood down after the 2014 referendum she just got the job unopposed and they were the Government at the time. 

July 2022

Edited by toot

Just the 3 standing to be the Leader of the Scottish National Party. 

I can not decide of the 3 which is the worst. 

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-64754523

Hopefully which ever one gets to be Leader & the First Minister of Scotland will not have the job for long.

Maybe they will even last until the next Holyrood election and can stand under their name and not just in the hope they get in the the list. 

That might be at the point they get punted. 

Sadly that is Thursday 7th May 2026 before anyone in their constituency can get them out with a vote.

Unless there are scandals off course.  Maybe even like one candidate had much earlier knowledge of Nicola Sturgeon MSP / FM standing down as leader and had their campaign already prepared.

Limited number of Media now getting into the hustings for SNP members.    As it is after 1 of the Secretive Sect is chosen as a leader it is surely time for a Holyrood election.   Or, just the person that becomes the new Leader stands down and there can be a by-election and then the constituency can re-elect them or not.  After all the 3 seem to not be going by what the SNP were voted in to do or were doing in this parliament.       I understand that those members that can get into a hustings might not want their faces seen by the general public but tough really as they are getting to vote on the First Minister of Scotland.  No need to be shy.   Well maybe there is!

Edited by toot
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, toot said:

The next SNP leader after which ever of these waste of spaces gets the job might be Stephen Flynn MP.    Today he asked Rishi Sunak MP who inspired him, Enoch Powel or Nigel Farage?

I was listening to that and I thought 'fantastic! It's about time someone called them out'.

I remember Mahri (sp?) Black saying it how it is last year.

'If' Humza Yousaf MSP is to become the leader of the SNP and the First Minister of Scotland & 'if' he was to call a snap Holyrood election i think it is possible he would not get re-elected as a MSP.

Maybe he could stand for election in the constituency he lives in so Dundee City East which is where Shona Robison represents, rather than where he is currently a MSP for Glasgow Pollock.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-64931626

Edited by toot

The voting has began for one of the candidates, hop, skip or jump.

When Nicola Sturgeon first resigned Tom Harwood on GB News made the mistake of saying Anas Sarwar MSP would be one of the candidates.

I suppose to him all Scottish Politicians look the same. 

*Tom Harwood has his finger on the pulse when it comes to Scottish politics. Not!*

Screenshot 2023-03-13 09.58.53.jpg

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

'Phil McHunt' is always good for a word search on 'ti internet.'

Always worth checking if Local Councillors or Politicians have any financial interests or family members have in Tyre & Exhaust Centres.

(John Swinneys's uncle is Sir Tom Farmer.) 

http://www.scotsman.com/business/businessman-popular-hero-sir-tom-farmer-2455497

http://sirtomfarmer.crazybillionaire.org/sirtomfarmer.php

Screenshot 2023-03-13 19.23.31.jpg

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

This might have been the future leader of the SNP down the line if they changed the rules to allow that to be a MP or if he got a seat in Holyrood but now he has maybe shown a real lack of judgement by backing Humza Yousaf to be the leader & First Minister.

Right lads, lets get rocking and rolling as they say in Dundee.

So the SNP has lost 32,000 + members in over a year. http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64976104

That is if the amount of members they supposedly had were accurate.  Surely the books show if people paid their memberships and how much.

The ALBA party was formed in Feb 2021 and by July 2021 seemingly had 6,000 members. 

I have no idea if they got any more than that.

Maybe some stayed members of the SNP and also joined ALBA, or just left the SNP and did not join ALBA or any other party.

I left both parties after joining to get a vote and get some inside gen,  both were incompetent with the Joining process, the taking of my payment, and ALBA were hopeless when i tried to leave when they Auto Renewed my membership, failed to reply to Emails, were not contactable by phone and then members or just people on the ALBA Facebook page called me a troll and gave abuse when i asked about how their management and founders were running the party & was it a clique,

That is ALBA though, they were just a party that took the lead from how SNP was run with that clique. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 2