Nicola Sturgeon MSP and First Minister Scotland resigning.

Ootohere

A member of the Scottish Parliament.  One that usually answers questions asked of her.  No idea what the stuff about getting into Europe is about.  There were many that voted to stay in the EU.  So plenty in Scotland support rejoining as do members in  the SNP or support Independence from the Westminster government.    Plenty do not.  The next General election and election for Holyrood and local elections will be telling the story of who supports what in Scotland.   No SNP politicians going off to the House of Lords like other ex MSP,s and MP,s do for services to the Union..   @Sad555 do you know anything about the SNP constitution or the reason the party was formed and still exists for?   Or even about who actually are the elected members in Holyrood or Westminster?

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sad555 said:

So what gives you the right to bring this terrible killing of a young person into a topic about a Scottish MP,SHAME ON YOU FOR BEING SO JUDGEMENTAL AS USUAL🤫

I wasn't being judgemental. I was offering the suggestion that if you wanted to discuss trans rights and issues you should start your own topic on the matter and sharing my hope that if you did you would condemn Brianna Ghey's killers. Hope that's clear enough for you  :thumbup: 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, @Lee said:

I wasn't being judgemental. I was offering the suggestion that if you wanted to discuss trans rights and issues you should start your own topic on the matter and sharing my hope that if you did you would condemn Brianna Ghey's killers. Hope that's clear enough for you  :thumbup: 

• Confused 1

YES you were being judgemental and YOUR post was the first and only raised on this poor child’s terrible death,please don’t use the horrendous death of a child,which has nothing to do on a political topic about an Smp to further your own agenda.I’m saddened you sunk so low to use this in your comments. Once again SHAME ON YOU,this was particularly distasteful by anybody’s standards or views.ps as a parent and grand parent yes I am upset by your remarks but don’t apologise to me ,save it for the dead child’s parents.

Edited by Sad555
  • Groan 2

20 minutes ago, Sad555 said:

YES you were being judgemental and YOUR post was the first and only raised on this poor child’s terrible death,please don’t use the horrendous death of a child,which has nothing to do on a political topic about an Smp to further your own agenda.I’m saddened you sunk so low to use this in your comments. Once again SHAME ON YOU,this was particularly distasteful by anybody’s standards or views.ps as a parent and grand parent yes I am upset by your remarks but don’t apologise to me ,save it for the dead child’s parents.

I notice in your rant in which you try to blame me for things I haven't said and try to play the victim of something I didn't say you forgot to condemn HER killers.

I'll not be reading your rants or replying to you anymore. 

If you want to know more about Sturgeon's resignation, Channel Four News have given it extensive coverage.

Edited by @Lee

1 hour ago, toot said:

A member of the Scottish Parliament.  One that usually answers questions asked of her.  No idea what the stuff about getting into Europe is about.  There were many that voted to stay in the EU.  So plenty in Scotland support rejoining as do members in  the SNP or support Independence from the Westminster government.    Plenty do not.  The next General election and election for Holyrood and local elections will be telling the story of who supports what in Scotland.   No SNP politicians going off to the House of Lords like other ex MSP,s and MP,s do for services to the Union..   @Sad555 do you know anything about the SNP constitution or the reason the party was formed and still exists for?   Or even about who actually are the elected members in Holyrood or Westminster?

I didn’t even know or cared that they existed until today😀😀😀😀😀

• Haha 2

I will listen later to what they are saying.   Who was being interviewed?

I have heard reporters from England saying that people do not know who some of the politicians that might run for the position of SNP leader is.

I can believe that, there will be plenty who do not know who Westminster politicians are.

I heard that Nicola Sturgeons stance on transgender was unpopular.   It certainly seemed to be with the media or some media and some journalists, 

but the Scottish Parliament voted on it. 

Somehow there are many that do not know just how many transgender people there are and how many support the rights of transgender people, or the rights of anyone for anything. 

I read the Poll results from polls Lord Ashcroft commissions, those i take with a very large pinch of salt. 

?

Is that what the BBC were reporting on?

Edited by toot

Something to ponder.

She won eight elections in 8 years. Quite an achievement.

In that time the Conservative party have chewed and spat out four of their leaders and are chewing on the fifth.

With Sturgeon on her way out, there is no leader of any mainstream party still in place after the 2019 general election except for, I think, Caroline Lucas of the Greens.

Johnson gone. Corbyn gone. Swinson gone and Sturgeon going.

Have a general election and let the country/ countries decide its/ their leaders. Seems fair enough to me.

Edited by @Lee

We need to remember Patrick Harvie MSP who has been kicking about in Scottish Politics foe 20 years with the Scottish Greens and now with the co-leader of the party has had too much of a say in what has been getting done in Scotland.

I think they are going to get blown out by the new leader of the SNP who will not be Kate Forbes MSP because we can not discuss the Wee Free's just as she can not.

Same sex marriage in Scotland is something that has has plenty support and that includes from members of the SNP or just the general public.

A leader opposed to same sex marriage or abortion would be like going back to the dark ages or even England.

Making these 2 Government Ministers was a huge error.  There were and are SNP members and supporters less than impressed and even more so as the time has passed.  

Edited by toot

35 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Perhaps you should STFU since you admit to not knowing what you're talking about then?

If you are going to quote me please do it correctly🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😀and take it the way it was meant GAFL

30 minutes ago, @Lee said:

Something to ponder.

She won eight elections in 8 years. Quite an achievement.

In that time the Conservative party have chewed and spat out four of their leaders and are chewing on the fifth.

With Sturgeon on her way out, there is no leader of any mainstream party still in place after the 2019 general election except for, I think, Caroline Lucas of the Greens.

Johnson gone. Corbyn gone. Swinson gone and Sturgeon going.

Have a general election and let the country/ countries decide its/ their leaders. Seems fair enough to me.

Even Labour got through three leaders! 

I may not have been a fan but at least she was consistent and seemed to handle covid better than most across the world, even if she seemed to be a one trick pony. 

• Like 1

On a BBC context section a short while ago someone said that Labour might benefit in the next Election and get more than 1 MP in Scotland, maybe even 14.

Jim Murphy the Ex Scottish labour leader was speaking, he landed a well paid job after he was punted, as did Henry McLeish ex First Minister, fuddle not fiddler.

Baroness Davidson left politics to have more time with the family otherwise known as making money.

Today Alex Salmond was speaking, he who will take money from anyone, sanctions or not, partners of brothel keepers or not. 

Scottish politics is like a never ending merry go round of snouters.

Douglas Alexander is supposedly going to stand at the next election someplace, maybe sister Wendy will have the hard neck to do the same.

Obvious the drop in pay would be too much so maybe just doing the 2 jobs will be just fine. 

Screenshot 2023-02-15 22.19.13.png

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

The front pages are naturally all covering Sturgeon's resignation.

A couple of interesting takes from the Telegraph and the Express.

The Express front page even has a main article about Nicola's problem with her addiction to alcohol.

No, not Nicola Sturgeon, a different Nicola. And a different tragedy by all accounts.

I wonder how many of their readership who struggle to read will see that headline and confuse the two before skipping to the juicy stuff such as Shag Island and the last night's footy 

The Telegraph says she was brought down by the trans rights issue. But that is the Telegraph. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-the-papers-64658595

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

10 Scottish Labour Leaders since 1999 and there was a Scottish Parliament.  Currently Anas Sarwar MSP

Alexander, Wendy 

Dewer, Donald.  The first First Minister.

Dugdale, Kezia

Grey, Iain

Lamont, Johann

McConnell, Jack.  Baron McConnell of Glenscorrodale.  Was the First Minister.

McLeish,Henry.  Was the First Minister.

Murphy, Jim

Rowley, Alex MSP

Edited by toot

19 hours ago, @Lee said:

One moment OT. This raised a smile when I saw it. 

Rude word warning.

Hide contents

FotEbMpXgAAMmVl.jpg.e6004ec1fea1c3cdd3bc9e401ac8956d.jpg

15 hours ago, @Lee said:

Much the same in the upper echelons of the tory party then if you ask me.

As for the trans rights issue, that's a discussion best left to those who fully understand the issue IMHO. What I will say though is that dehumanising people on the basis of gender, race, religion, colour, creed etc etc is never helpful. 

The sincerity of an appeal not to dehumanise people looks pretty hollow when it comes hot on the heels of a "Douglas Ross is a ****" post.

9 hours ago, toot said:

On a BBC context section a short while ago someone said that Labour might benefit in the next Election and get more than 1 MP in Scotland, maybe even 14.

Yeah, I could see Labour getting a boost north of the border from the SNP taking a hit.

Add that to the betrayed "red wall" voters who briefly lent their vote to the Conservatives in the hope they might do something conservative (and were completely betrayed by the Conservatives), and Labour should get a pretty big boost at the next election.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, toot said:

Sir Keir Starmer MP has as much appeal in Scotland as Boris had or Rishi or many other politicians or leaders from the Unionist Parties. 

We will see soon enough if Labour can gain a few MP's in Scotland in the next GE. 

You might be right, certainly the Lib Dems were more popular than Labour in Scotland, prior to devolution, IIRC, but labour did have some support up there.

Mind you, that might be down to being seen as the best of a bad bunch. Much like support for the the Conservatives in England, though hopefully that will start falling off.