Kamiq corroded rear brake discs

Bobbagreg

Just been told by Vantage that my rear brake discs are corroded and need replacing. Typically the car is recently out of the 2 year brake warranty. My argument is that they are showing slight corrosion on the edge after just 12050 miles and daily use, albeit low miles. They are blaming the problem on the car standing around and not being hammered from one end of the country to the other. Says a lot for the quality of steel they are using, probably Chinese. They say it’s wasting my time speaking direct to Skoda about the issue. The car is a 1,5 SEL auto. Any ideas, suggestions, comments? Cheers.

Common across the Skoda models.

Easier to do something about with the cars like yours without an e-Brake where you can apply the parking / hand brake a bit to clean off cosmetic rust.

As for spirited / sporting driving or even doing 500 miles a day everyday, that does not mean that the rear brakes are being asked to do much, or even the front ones with people who drive looking ahead, using the gear shifter etc, even with a DSG. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/510933-brake-disc-rustscoring

Edited by toot

Thanks for the replies. So I suppose I have to give in and get the discs renewed, but not at Skoda. My “out of warranty” go to mechanic will do the job for a third of the Skoda price. Will ask him to fit Brembo discs as recommmended.

Try finding a safe quieter stretch of dual carriageway with nobody on it.

70-10MPH firm braking (not quite emergency stop) and do it 4-5 times with suitable time between them to make sure you don’t get any brake fade/heat issues.

That should clean up the surface well. 

When it’s all cold you can run a wire brush over the very edge of the disc (not the braking surface) to get rid of any there, but that isn’t required.

• Like 1

On 19/02/2023 at 17:02, Bobbagreg said:

Just been told by Vantage that my rear brake discs are corroded and need replacing. Typically the car is recently out of the 2 year brake warranty. My argument is that they are showing slight corrosion on the edge after just 12050 miles and daily use, albeit low miles. They are blaming the problem on the car standing around and not being hammered from one end of the country to the other. Says a lot for the quality of steel they are using, probably Chinese. They say it’s wasting my time speaking direct to Skoda about the issue. The car is a 1,5 SEL auto. Any ideas, suggestions, comments? Cheers.

Just a thought, but are the rear brake calipers working correctly?

Brake calipers can get stuck (though it would be unusual on such a recent vehicle) and if they're not working as they should, you might not notice in normal driving, but the brakes wouldn't clean the disks.

A pic of the disks would help.

@cheezemonkhai's idea of careful emergency stops sounds sensible, as the effort of hard braking should shift the caliper piston if they're a bit reluctant to move.

• 6 months later...

My car has just been for its first MOT.  Prior to that, I took it in for my trusted independent garage and tester to look at the discs as I was very unhappy with their condition - they appear to be badly corroded and look like ****e.

(As previously  mentioned on here, I intended that he should replace them with non-OEM items). I was surprised when he told me that he was certain that the rear brakes would be up to scratch and that he could not see any point in replacing them.  In the event, when I went for the scheduled test, the brake   readings on the test equipment were perfect!  He confirms that rear brakes in general only provide 25% of the braking, and on a lightweight car like a Kamiq - especially an automatic -  they do sod all.  He advised that I should continue to apply the hand-brake from time to time to clean up the surface of the discs to address the cosmetic aspect, otherwise I should ignore what really was not an issue!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I also have the dreaded 12K miles 2 year rear disc advisory.

It's suggested I change on next service in 12 months.

What is the current Skoda price to supply and fit rear discs and pads  Please?

May well go Brembo but need a comparison.

Edited by EJB

Cannot answer the question but - as I am sure you already suspect- you can virtually guarantee that a Skoda dealership would charge top dollar to replace with the same crap discs that cause the problem.  I am sure that an independent would supply and fit Brembos for much less money.  If you do get some prices it would be really interesting if if you could post them here.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I agree with some of the comments I have owned quite a few VAG models and they all suffer from this issue if you are light on your brakes which I suspect you are then the rear brakes don't come into play much causing the corrosion if you get to a reasonable speed and apply your brakes quite hard it will keep the corrosion at bay please be careful when yo do this. This goes all the whey back to the GOLF MK2 days so not new hope this helps

The topic of rear brake corrosion is well known. I'm just wondering about the OP's 2yr brake warranty. I rightly or wrongly, was under the impression it was only 6mths or 2500 miles, whichever comes first.

Never heard of a 2yr brake warranty but if it does exist then I find it hard to believe it'd include wear and tear.

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Like 1

Yes I agree, our younger daughter and husband has a 2019 SEAT Arona and I can see that if it appears up my way from Bromley before it gets its next MOT in April-May, then I'll be replacing the rear discs with Pagid and either Textar or Pagid pads. That will only sort things out for a few years as they are smart enough to not use the car unless they really need to and drive "too carefully"!

In the past I've found Pagid rear discs to stay cleaner and longer than VW or SEAT factory fitted rear discs, either coincidence, luck or something else.

Our nearly 6 year old Karoq has never had this issue and our one year old Kamiq is also fine. I suspect salt air doesn't help, but certainly a good dab on the brakes occasionally should keep them from suffering too much.

I live on the north Yorkshire coast and on my now three and a half year old Kamiq SEL 1.0 DSG with about 22,000 miles on the clock I have noticed minor rusting on the rear discs at times.  The answer I find is to drive slowly with the brakes lightly on to clear the rust for a short distance, and if rust is a problem I drive the few hundred yards to the main road doing this to clean the discs for a few days when taking the car out.  Recently, much more of my driving has been in town and I have noticed that the rear discs are bright and shiny with no sign of rust without using the "driving with the brakes lghtly on" method being used.

I have this problem on my 2020 1.5 Kamiq but only on one side but badly scored as well as rusty. At last service (21000 miles) was told they need replacing for a cost of over £300 this year. For info I just checked GSF car  parts and a pair of Brembo discs are £35 which is a good deal. Shall be doing them myself with the Brembo discs and check my calipers when I do it. Also I live in Wiltshire and not near the coast and have never seen this on any of my previous cars. 

George

On 09/02/2024 at 08:57, GeorgeN49 said:

Also I live in Wiltshire and not near the coast and have never seen this on any of my previous cars.

👍  The 'coast' thing is a red herring no doubt dreamt up by those who've never had the problem.  It's cleary a quality issue unique to many VW group cars. In almost 40 years of driving I've never once needed to change discs or pads on any of my cars.  I had to change my rear discs and pads after 3yr / 13k but noway was I going to risk them being replaced by the same OEM parts - I used Bosch this time.

What I think would be interesting to know, is that out of those of us VW group owners who've changed the OEM discs + pads for popular named brands, how long have those replacements lasted  - less, the same  or longer than the OEMs. I suspect it may be the latter. Surely they can't be any worse! :D

Edit - I say never had the problem, I did, back in 2002 - 2004 on a Volvo. The difference being Volvo acknowledged there was a quality problem and replaced the discs under warranty -  twice !

Edited by kodiaqsportline

53 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

👍  The 'coast' thing is a red herring no doubt dreamt up by those who've never had the problem.

As someone who lives on the coast - half a mile from it and about 200ft above sea level - I can assure it is not a red herring, salt air adds to any problem of rust even if it may not be the primary cause.  

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1