MIB1 android auto/ car play solution

Has any one tried one of these on their MIB1 system? 

Looks like a cheap way to upgrade the stereo to include android auto/car play for now. 

Let me know if you have done this please. Thank you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cactusjack said:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, worth a punt so just ordered. I'll post back with outcome when it's delivered and tested.

MIB1 with Columbus screen.

Yes please do report back. 

This is really interesting and might make life a little more palatable for us MIB1 users.

I see when he plugs in the phone via USB he uses the port of the device as opposed to the OEM USB input - I wonder whether the OEM USB is compatible or not as it's a great location for plugging in the phone.

3 hours ago, foregonereality said:

This is really interesting and might make life a little more palatable for us MIB1 users.

I see when he plugs in the phone via USB he uses the port of the device as opposed to the OEM USB input - I wonder whether the OEM USB is compatible or not as it's a great location for plugging in the phone.

I would definitely look at routing the usb cable to the same sort of location not in the glove box like he has done. 

Found loads of these on eBay and Amazon, all about the same price as Aliexpress.. £210ish

But none of them seem to have any reviews! So I'm still a little cagey about pressing the 'BUY' button on any! I still don't really understand quite how it works! 

Plus they all say "Glovebox Unit must look like this" and shows 2x SD card slot Infotainment unit! mine only has one! otherwise everything is the same!

55 minutes ago, Cactusjack said:

Arrived today, however car is in the garage having a replacement ECU so I will post back once I've installed and got it working...

16787228534884404908748094578013.jpg

Great. Very much looking forward to your feedback. 

On 09/03/2023 at 15:13, papatsonis said:

I've ordered few days ago, (MIB1 Amundsen user here..) and when arrive, after installation, i'll keep the thread notified

Can you put a link?

The one in the video points to an Android auto box and not a pure Android box as the video shows.

Edited by nickytheshaft

3 minutes ago, papatsonis said:

€ 246,48 20%OFF | EBILAEN Wireless Carplay Android Auto Module Box For VW Volkswagen Skoda Octavia A5 Golf 7 Polo Passat B8 Mirror Link MIB MIB2

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPzVYBs

Ok thanks, so it is just an android Auto box and not an Android box. I guess I will have to go with an AI box to have more Android features. Thanks.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, papatsonis said:

Just powered it...

Ok the 5.8" 400x240 resolution sucks a bit, but "it works.." and will suffice my need to have Google Maps with traffic..

20230315_190939.jpg

20230315_190727.jpg

This is really not bad at all.

Are you wireless ?

How IS it dictating messages, my previous ai box was a hastle with it.

Edited by nickytheshaft

yes, on the instance above, i had connected wireless. Regarding your question, i cant answer now, i have left a mess in the car, cause i want to find a solution to bring the USB cable in the position of the Multimedia connector (i dont like the idea to hide somewere in the passenger box

Managed to finish* . As i wrote above i hated the idea of the usb in the passenger box, so i removed the MMI port and until to arrive* the correct usb port (5E1857367B 9B9) that cost only 18€ from the official VW distributor) i attached the USB cable to the MMI port.

For quite some time i was frustrated cause everything was working except the Audio... could make calls though), In the end i realised that i had to disable the MMI port and enable the AUX-IN from obd11.

The scroll between the menus was never the strong point of my MIB1 (even in stock..), i can say that it's totaly acceptable the performance ;)

Only issue /for now/ i have noticed, that the left scroller, that adjust the volume on the steering wheel, when you press, functions like mute, i'd prefer to pause the song, like the stock operation

01.Module_In_Place.jpg

02.USBINPrep1.jpg

03.USBINPrep2.jpg

04.USBIN.jpg

05.USBIN.jpg

06.TuneIN.jpg

07.Spotify.jpg

08.Maps.jpg

09.MapsSpotify.jpg

10.AndroidAuto_Wired.jpg

Edited by papatsonis
  • Like 1

Nice...

Can you show me the camera menu? I would like to see if it handles and and if there is a way to trigger it in and when reverse in engaged on the stock interface. 

This "look safe to move" hiding my bumper is driving me nutts

36 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

Nice...

Can you show me the camera menu? I would like to see if it handles and and if there is a way to trigger it in and when reverse in engaged on the stock interface. 

This "look safe to move" hiding my bumper is driving me nutts

I don't have camera (too lazy to pass the cabling across the car...), the menu i think without an actuall camera, doesnt show something usefull i think

ps.> the resolution is really low on our screen.. but still can playback videos for the kids behind :D (with Fermata Auto)

εικόνα_Viber_2023-03-17_08-51-35-061.jpg

Edited by papatsonis

1 hour ago, Tcuk31 said:

This is looking promising. I think I need to purchase. Thanks @papatsonisfor your information. Do keep us updated with how it goes over the coming week and any problems you may encounter. 

i agree , really tempted to hit the purchase button after looking at your reviews , look forward to the future updates , thanks @papatsonis