Considering a 2020 Kamiq 1.0 TSI SE L DSG - anything to be aware of?

hendley

Good Afternoon

I am considering buying a new to me car. I am considering a 2020 Kamiq 1.0 TSI SE L DSG and would appreciate your thoughts on whether it would be a good buy.

Is this likely to be a reliable car? Are there any potential problems that I should bear in mind?

Whilst I appreciate it isn't a direct competitor, I am also looking at a 2019 VW T-Roc 2.0 TDi manual. Would that be a better buy?

I do 20,000 miles a year, mostly on the motorway and A roads, although I tend to drive quite gently.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Should be fine, you will find that the 1 litre DSG works best with E5 super unleaded (reports of 7% cruising to 14% urban) better fuel consumption than E10.

Generally reliable.   The DSG box works brilliantly with this engine.

Can't really comment on a T-roc, but they were generally lower on equipment unless lots of extras specified, or high spec models chosen.  It's a heavier car so with diesel prices running at 20p+ a litre over petrol, might not save much (if anything) if fuel costs

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/03/2023 at 14:34, SurreyJohn said:

Should be fine, you will find that the 1 litre DSG works best with E5 super unleaded (reports of 7% cruising to 14% urban) better fuel consumption than E10.

Generally reliable.   The DSG box works brilliantly with this engine.

Can't really comment on a T-roc, but they were generally lower on equipment unless lots of extras specified, or high spec models chosen.  It's a heavier car so with diesel prices running at 20p+ a litre over petrol, might not save much (if anything) if fuel costs

Surprised at this, although my 1.0 Kamiq isn't a DSG I found when the E10 fuel came out in 2021 my Kamiq's economy went up, it felt a little quicker and the engine ran smoother.

I have had a 1.0 SEL DSG Kamiq new from June, 2020, and am very pleased with it,  Your driving style sounds pretty similar to mine and using E10 (the recommended rating and also better for the environment than E5, and cheaper) I find a trip of any length usually turns in economy around 53mpg.  Recent examples are:

224 miles, 53,2mpg

180 miles, 55.3mpg

73 miles, 51.3 mpg

In fact, figures are very consistent.  For example, I regularly do a trip of 55 miles and economy is nearly always 53.3mpg and I can expect the same figure on another regular trip of 181 miles.

On shorter runs, economy is also good:

3 miles, 35,3mpg

2 miles, 39.2 mpg

3 miles, 32.4mpg

10 miles, 46.3mpg

Those figures are from cold.

DSG is smooth and car is quiet.  In the D (detached) option where the car travels with the engine detached from the gearbox, it is pretty much silent.

Edited by Seasider
Corrections of mistypes.
  • Like 1

@Seasider I take it you mean the DSG in D and 'coasting function' enabled.

if it is true the E10 is greener as in you get the same or better economy and lower emissions from it and the ethanol is not using as much energy / crops to produce and transport then good.

That better fuel efficiency or lower emissions is not true for all petrol engines compared to the E5 though.

& all E5 in the UK is not the same, as the E10 is not.  You do get at the very least the minimum octane though, be that 95 ron with unleaded or 97/99 with super unleaded.

(Winter formulation petrol and diesel should no longer be getting delivered to filling stations in the UK this month, but there might be some exceptions.)

E5 Super unleaded from Tesco (99min) or Sainsbury (97 min) might be no more expensive than E10 95 Min from the BP, Shell, Texaco, Esso, Gulf, Rix etc etc.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/en/need-help/need-help-faqs/fuel.html

340214144_1384336435_Screenshot2022-01-3014_03_59.jpg.d43b66a38bf086423e31cbd1b02722b8(1).jpg.dce3a2706e11f7c315d6b050e3a54835.jpg

Edited by toot

4 hours ago, toot said:

@Seasider I take it you mean the DSG in D and 'coasting function' enabled.

if it is true the E10 is greener as in you get the same or better economy and lower emissions from it and the ethanol is not using as much energy / crops to produce and transport then good.

That better fuel efficiency or lower emissions is not true for all petrol engines compared to the E5 though.

& all E5 in the UK is not the same, as the E10 is not.  You do get at the very least the minimum octane though, be that 95 ron with unleaded or 97/99 with super unleaded.

(Winter formulation petrol and diesel should no longer be getting delivered to filling stations in the UK this month, but there might be some exceptions.)

E5 Super unleaded from Tesco (99min) or Sainsbury (97 min) might be no more expensive than E10 95 Min from the BP, Shell, Texaco, Esso, Gulf, Rix etc etc.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/en/need-help/need-help-faqs/fuel.html

340214144_1384336435_Screenshot2022-01-3014_03_59.jpg.d43b66a38bf086423e31cbd1b02722b8(1).jpg.dce3a2706e11f7c315d6b050e3a54835.jpg

With the Kamiq, you can, it appears, only disable the "coasting function" by driving in S mode. 

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, lichfielddriver said:

hire one for a week... you may change your mind

and the boots tiny

Strange cos my boot is quite large for the size of the car

• Like 2

On 15/03/2023 at 13:03, hendley said:

Good Afternoon

I am considering buying a new to me car. I am considering a 2020 Kamiq 1.0 TSI SE L DSG and would appreciate your thoughts on whether it would be a good buy.

Is this likely to be a reliable car? Are there any potential problems that I should bear in mind?

Whilst I appreciate it isn't a direct competitor, I am also looking at a 2019 VW T-Roc 2.0 TDi manual. Would that be a better buy?

I do 20,000 miles a year, mostly on the motorway and A roads, although I tend to drive quite gently.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

1ltr petrol dsg is sluggish

• Confused 1
  • Groan 1

1 hour ago, lichfielddriver said:

1ltr petrol dsg is sluggish

I could not disagree more, our 1.0 115 BHP DSG is very nippy . The DSG box suits the engine and car perfectly.

Happy to recommend 

• Like 3

Pretty nippy.

Certainly not going to hold anyone up that is behind you and able to keep up with UK traffic and NSL.s.

& a Kamiq or Scala is a different size / class of car from an 'Octavia, Superb, Mondeo, or Passat which is why they might not be used as Taxi / Private hire cars, (There are some Scala Taxi / Ubers about.)

& a Kamiq is a size down from a Karoq.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, toot said:

Pretty nippy.

Certainly not going to hold anyone up that is behind you and able to keep up with UK traffic and NSL.s.

the combination of stop/start/dsg and 3 cylinders make it exciting to pull away and not in a good way

• Confused 1

On 01/07/2023 at 09:46, lichfielddriver said:

Smallest ive had, 1 child seat seems to fill it

Mondeo

Superb (3) Etate (1)

Octavia

Karoq

Epica

Passat (4)

Just reading your posts over the past 24hr or so and come to the conclution you're just pee'd off at your employer downgrading your car.

Who in their right mind can complain at the size of the boot in a Kamiq? You seriously not comparing it to the cars you list are you?  It's a small SUV, of course ababy seat in the boot is going to fill it up, what else would anyone be expecting?

21 hours ago, lichfielddriver said:

I would strongly suggest you try other engine/gearbox combinations, other models/makes within budget

Name the cars in your budget that you'd recommend.  As per your previous replies over the past 24hr, I strongly suggest you're comparing apples with pears.

I haven't personally tried this engine/gearbox combo in a Kamiq but I have in the larger heavier SEAT Ateca and was so impressed I wanted to order it. Unfortunately neither the trim level in that Ateca or the Karoq which I bought after it offered the 1.0tsi DSG so I ended up buying a 1.4tsi and 1.5tsi thereafter.  IMO honest opinion, the 1.0tsi would have been my preferred option.

Some of you may remember many moons ago a short series about the company car driver ( or was it motorway driver?  I forget Think it was back in the 90's). Anyway there were these sales guys wating on their new company cars and the cameras followed them as they picked them up - all the bog std rep mobile stuff - Cavalier, Mondeo, Passat.  Anyway, they interviewed one guy who's dream car was a red Vauxhall Calibra but he'd heard rumours his company were now ordering Rovers. So what would it be a 600? MG Montego? As the cameras followed him to head office, he was almost in tears when they showed him his car - one of the last Maestro's in basic spec. ( it may have been a 1.3 from memory ).

That program was the first thing that entered my head when reading your posts today.  Are you sure you're not sore at your employer rather than it being the car's fault? Nobody in the market for a small bodied + small engine auto SUV should have the disappointments you're having.

EDIT:   Ha Ha.  been looking on youtube for past  30mins  ( I have a sad life ).  Found it !    Broadcast 30 years ago !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQsMFQZa8os

If there was ever a program that summed up our crazy British attitude class then this has to be it. A bunch on nobodies thinking they're something just because they drive a particualr car.  And I'm one of them !  We're all one of them !  Why?  This attitude doesn't really exist to the same extent elsewhere in the world. 🤣   

Edited by kodiaqsportline

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst the 1.0 115 bhp may be “nippy” (you gotta love a dodgy backstreet car dealer term😂) the 1.5 148 bhp DSG is bordering on pretty fast in comparison, so my recommendation would be the 1.5 DSG.  Furthermore, the mpg difference is pretty negligible for the increase in performance.

Plus, you don’t have that horrible lawnmower engine sounding thrum of the 3 cylinder🙄.

And yes, I’ve driven the 115bhp before anyone asks🙄

DISCLAIMER - these are only my opinions folks, no offence meant🤣

Edited by carefree
  • Like 1

Couldn't agree more. I test drove both before I ordered the 1.5, it's way above the 1.0 in terms of performance and very happy with the mileage, better fuel economy and as quick as the Ford Focus it replaced which had another 30 bhp under the bonnet, partly I suspect due to the 7 speed box rather than the 6 gears of the Focus

• Like 1

Agree re the ‘nippiness’ of the 1.5, though I’ve never driven the 1.0. Bigger is better in my view - the greater capacity makes the delivery of power effortless, and when combined with DSG gives a superbly relaxing drive. And there is little, if any, penalty in fuel consumption. I can get 55mpg plus on a motorway drive half laden. 

• Like 2