What's seeing off all the Fabias?

My partner's 1.4 PD 80 has been very reliable for the last 7 years, unfortunately there is now rust around the front wheel arches and sills. The AC doesn't work and it's the not the most comfortable thing for long journeys so he will be selling it soon. Interestingly, examples of a similar age (55 reg. circa 178k miles) seem to be selling for more than I what I got for my 54 reg. PD 75 over 5 years ago with the same sort of mileage.

On 30/03/2023 at 13:14, vindaloo said:

From my perspective and looking at the newer cars around the neighbourhood....

Shortly, I'll have to pay ULEZ to watch rugby in Richmond or visit friends near Wimbledon. So that's not too expensive but if visiting friends will cost £25 per overnight visit.

Utter lack of tech. No cameras, no parking aids, no heated front screen.

Bits that fail that you can't easily find..... Headlights becoming scarce. I have hazy and dimmer Xenons. Factory prices were always high to replace those. Recently had several £££s of turbo pipes replaced .... Which then caused the turbo to explode. So ££££s to fix it.

The now complete lack of any cushioning from the top mounts front and back. Driving a concrete road is like operating an old style hammer drill.

It's a one owner car. First car I bought new in 2005. Having previously owned second hand cars.

No getting around the fact they are getting old but less tech is less to go wrong.

im in the fortunate position that I’m a vehicle tec so repairs to the old girl are free😊 

But like you say doesn’t sound that practical where you live.

I’m in the country side so 12 mile drive to work is all it does this is our 2nd car as we have another car for weekend use etc. Misses hates the skoda jerky and old she says with some other words.

1 hour ago, Damo152003 said:

No getting around the fact they are getting old but less tech is less to go wrong.

im in the fortunate position that I’m a vehicle tec so repairs to the old girl are free😊 

But like you say doesn’t sound that practical where you live.

I’m in the country side so 12 mile drive to work is all it does this is our 2nd car as we have another car for weekend use etc. Misses hates the skoda jerky and old she says with some other words.

Great you can do yourself. I'm up for brake discs and basic repair work, but any engine out or heavy stuff like cambelt then it's beyond me. But even then I think the Fabia is worth any garage costs. I'd rather spend even £3000 on a lot of work and know I was getting a 'new car' in those areas than spend £5000 on something unproven. I have never seen a woman driving a Fabia vRS, so your missus hating it is interesting. I can't imagine hating such a great little car but I'm a bloke. Maybe women don't like them for some reason? 🤔

• Like 1

On 20/03/2023 at 20:03, Tailhappy said:

Well built, not too complex electronics, rust resistant (and easy to weld if needed), tough engines and resilient interiors...the Mk.1 Fabia is a high point for Skoda and deservedly won Car Of The Year in 2000. But they are getting to be a rare site now, maybe only one every fortnight. 

Why us this? What is seeing them off?

I'd think they would still be a common car but this is definitely not the case (in the South East anyway). Shame really. 

I was going to suggest they may have gone under the Government's scrappage scheme, but not that many Fabias were scrapped under the scheme, according to the Government's data.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/357672/bis-foi-2014-20775-scrapped-vehicles-supporting-data.csv/preview

image.thumb.png.bbfde9b61fe373eda441a9d3a19996a2.png

11 hours ago, Tailhappy said:

Maybe women don't like them for some reason? 🤔

My Mrs hated her Fabia when we had it, but I liked it.

(It wasn't the best example of a Fabia though, TBH.)

Where do you live ? Near the sea? I’ve got a 54 plate and had just a small blister which I’ve repaired other than that nothing I’m in the midlands a lot of country driving but wash it every week 

Edited by Damo152003

26 minutes ago, Damo152003 said:

Where do you live ? Near the sea? I’ve got a 54 plate and had just a small blister which I’ve repaired other than that nothing I’m in the midlands a lot of country driving but wash it every week 

In the midlands as well, but car has had a lot of owners so prob been all over the place :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prt57 said:

Here’s my Elegance. I paid £250 for it nearly three years ago. It’s been ideal for the job I’ve been doing in some dodgy locations where I feel confident it will still be there when I get back!!

It’s kept me reasonably busy with jobs, especially at the beginning but never let me down yet. B963FCFE-E6F8-413A-97EA-DD4661EC83F9.thumb.jpeg.ddbfc27f56d4ce024f08df5b40c11836.jpeg

Same wheels as my one!

MVC-020F.JPG.e5e132eaca27e0d02ff8e9b064c41d97.JPG

I've had mine two years now, and done about 23k miles in that time. It's picked up a decent amount of war wounds in my time, but mechanically it's fairly sound now.

Edited by AnnoyingPentium

Then 30 seconds later, check out the registration compared to the previous car on the the right. 

You’ll see the other two in the distance. 

I talked to the owner and she had owned it since new and it has been reliable. 

I wonder what the collective noun is for a group of Fabia Mk 1s?

Maybe a swarm, or a pack or possibly a herd!!

25B36F1B-C08B-42D4-BD8A-CB6FA0597075.jpeg

Edited by prt57
  • Like 3

• 10 months later...
On 08/04/2023 at 23:01, AnnoyingPentium said:

That's only for vRS models, especially at "meets", right? :D

I recall when there were a lot of VERY silly townie boys with VRS's on here...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sepulchrave said:

I recall when there were a lot of VERY silly townie boys with VRS's on here...

At least one is still here but drives a low end EV now. Spends a lot of time driving around looking for free electricity from what I can make out.