coolant expansion bottle

On 14/04/2023 at 13:00, Crasher said:

That note about approval to use is interesting

Yeah.

I have a niggle of a memory about something to do with G12evo being "environmentally friendly" and "organic", but it's one of those "I think I read something somewhere..." memories that are unreliable.

According to the graphic, it's got better corrosion inhibition, so that will do for me.

• Like 1

That price from "SEAT PARTS" for 5 litres of 50/50 premix is seriously cheaper than I paid over 2 years ago,  I paid roughly £7.50 per litre bottle with, at that time, no option to buy 50/50 G12evo in 5 litre containers, somewhere was selling the more dilute 40/60 in 5 litre containers but for roughly £35.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the discussion on this - thought I'd share in case it helps someone...   I just ordered a new expansion tank for £16.78 with discount Sav27 from carparts4less; 

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/mahle-radiator-expansion-tank-205440210

I saw similar deals on ebay but thought buying from a known distributor would be best to ensure quality/fitment of the part (and think currently cheaper), I am assuming it'll come without silicone bag.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to swap out my Coolant Expansion Tank, Probably with the one above! but I think I might need to replace the Overflow and possibly the inlet, pipework (the car stood for a year before I bought it) and I think the pipe may have perishes slightly, as I'm getting Coolant drops, but the Oil is clear (not mayonnaise), The Temps are bang on, there's no smell of Hydrocarbons!.. What there is, is traces of Coolant around the cap and neck of the bottle, a residue on the outside of the bottle and a small puddle of the Coolant on the Engine Brace below the Expansion Tank.

The system has been pressure tested at Skoda, but I think it might be somthing associated with the bottle, and 10 year old Rubber that's stood for a year has a tendency to perish.

What Pipes (with Part Numbers) are needed for the Expansion Tank?, how hard a job is it to do? (I'm no mechanical n00b but I've not really done this sort of thing since my Mini Cooper back in the 90's)

Cheers!

14 hours ago, ords said:

Could just be the cap not sealing properly.

It's a brand new Cap! albeit from Ebay...

After some investigation (had a read on the Golf 6 and 7 forums)... I have a horrible feeling it's the 'Mit Silikat' bag leaked into the Heater Matrix! It's taking Aaaaages for the heater to get hot (thank god for heated seats) 

Gonna be 'spensive!!