Fob battery

BTandSid

Picked up the car yesterday, arrived home and the ‘low fob battery’ indicator appeared on the dash. Existing battery is a cr2025 yet believe it should be 2032? Can’t locate battery size in the handbook so advice would be welcomed. Thanks

Whichever type you fit, don't go for a cheap one. The keys appear to be sensitive to brand, Panasonic being most often recommended. Also, it is sensible to carry a spare battery in your wallet/purse and one in the car to avoid being stranded if a battery fails away from home.

• Like 3

I have never had any warning of imminent key battery failure.

My dealer changes the battery as a matter of course at each annual service.

Battery failure is not a disaster.  It happened to my wife when away from home.  She phoned me and I talked her through the procedure to sort it out.  It's in the Manual.

Prise off the small cover on the underneath of the door handle.  This reveals the key 'slot' then unlock the door the old fashioned way.  This will set off the car alarm.   Get in the car and press the starter button using the body of the key not your finger.  This latter bit might take more than one attempt.

tom 

1 hour ago, Sanqhar said:

I have never had any warning of imminent key battery failure.

My dealer changes the battery as a matter of course at each annual service.

Battery failure is not a disaster.  It happened to my wife when away from home.  She phoned me and I talked her through the procedure to sort it out.  It's in the Manual.

Prise off the small cover on the underneath of the door handle.  This reveals the key 'slot' then unlock the door the old fashioned way.  This will set off the car alarm.   Get in the car and press the starter button using the body of the key not your finger.  This latter bit might take more than one attempt.

tom 

OK if you actually have a manual and it is in the car. At present my manual is on the computer desk next to me!

1 hour ago, Routemaster1461 said:

OK if you actually have a manual and it is in the car. At present my manual is on the computer desk next to me!

Perhaps better in the car then 

In mine the battery type is printed inside the key fob itself. And I change them annually to avoid problems.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, must confess I’d not thought to see if the battery type was noted inside the fob. Will check, although need to pop back to dealer at some point to get a ‘badge’ fitted, the one on the steering wheel with Sportline on, seems it’s gone walkabouts between my checking the car on Tuesday and collecting it yesterday. Will get them to sort the fob.

Add to this a couple of warnings that have appeared on our first trip to the shops, exclamation mark and ‘SOS contact workshop’ 🤔 And the satnav is all over the place - street names on the dash aren’t where we are, albeit they’re in the local area. All was okay until that error message appeared, co-incidence? 

Running the car in to the dealers tomorrow hopefully.

Not an auspicious start to Skoda ownership 😏

Edited by BTandSid

• 5 months later...

Hello group, on my Karoq the message appeared with the battery discharged in the key. I replaced according to the procedure described in the manual with the same CR2032 Panasonic battery model, but opening the car from the button on the remote control no longer works. Starting the car is ok, but I can only open it with the physical key. I mention that the second key works ok. Is there another procedure that is not mentioned in the manual? Thank you.

13 minutes ago, Florin20 said:

Hello group, on my Karoq the message appeared with the battery discharged in the key. I replaced according to the procedure described in the manual with the same CR2032 Panasonic battery model, but opening the car from the button on the remote control no longer works. Starting the car is ok, but I can only open it with the physical key. I mention that the second key works ok. Is there another procedure that is not mentioned in the manual? Thank you.

Double-check you have the button battery in the right way round.

After that, test you have it seated correctly. It can be a bit of a pain to get seated in properly.

• 4 weeks later...

A few months back the battery failed so replaced with a 2016, which worked as a temporary.

Bought the recommended 2025 battery and fitted it.  Didn't work despite fiddling with it...

Opened the car with the key and set off alarm (probably looking for the handbook)...

Replaced battery with cheapo 2032 and it worked first time.

I can't remember the exact sequence of events and  I'm not sure what the moral of the story is but I now know how to open the car manually, I know that the alarm is loud and impossible to turn off without the fob and I've got the rest of the card of 10 cheapo batteries in the glove box...