2818 ŠKODA Octavia VRS TDI just bought

Just bought this car, very pleased with it, nice drive, comfortable and responsive when needed.

just a few minor gripes I’m trying to sort 

is there bigger cu a

p holders available to purchase, the size of the existing cup holders amazes me

is there any repair guides for this, I want to get the climate control out to install a retrofit Brodit mount

my mpg is very low, 37.2 , surely this can’t be morma

Hi,

I don't think there is a bigger cup holder

There is a repair guide on briskoda, I got mine here.

37 mpg seems a good consumption imo. It is about 6l/100 on my 2l TSI I get 7.2 to 8.5 l/100 on the highway at 130 km/h

For a TDI that seems a bit low unless you have just been doing shorter journeys and/or stuck in traffic.

As you’ve only just got it I’d fill it up and reset all the trip data and see what you get from a full tank.

I’m seeing high 40 to mid 50 mpg in a TDI vRS. I tend to do longer runs on A/B roads these days.

Edited by CookieMonster87

Must look for a aftermarket cup holder. I love the new car, but lack of space in the centre console is very annoying 

I was driving a subaru xv before the skoda which had permanent AWD and also very quick, the advertised mpg was 52 and i was getting 44-46. So if skoda are advertising 64mpg, you would expect mid 50s for sure

Its 2018 and has 85k on the clock, should i be concerned with any servicing, particularly the timing belt kit? 

Official workshop manual source is https://erwin.skoda-auto.cz/erwin/showHome.do

My 245 TSi averages 37.5 MPG so I'd expect more from a TDI. Think my best from a tank is 43.5 MPG...

As Cookie mentions, it'll depend on where you're driving. It won't be great round town or shorter journeys as it'll only start getting decent economy once it's all warmed up which takes a while. You can also check the obvious things like tyre pressures and sticking calipers.

43 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

37 mpg seems a good consumption imo. It is about 6l/100 on my 2l TSI I get 7.2 to 8.5 l/100 on the highway at 130 km/h

Be careful when converting MPG as the UK and US gallons are different sizes :wondering: 37 MPG (UK) is 7.6 L/100 whereas 37 MPG (US) is 6.2 L/100.

14 hours ago, aidy55 said:

is there bigger cu a

p holders available to purchase, the size of the existing cup holders amazes me

1st world problem that amazes me!

3 hours ago, aidy55 said:

Its 2018 and has 85k on the clock, should i be concerned with any servicing, particularly the timing belt kit? 

Clean the throttle valve body and inlet tract, its probably completely choked by schmoo from the constant EGR activation after the emissions "fix". Once done your MPG and throttle response will be way better.

The EGR inlet stub can also be realigned to reduce the build up of schmoo, I bit the bullet and fitted an EGR emulator/simulator.

10 hours ago, J.R. said:

Clean the throttle valve body and inlet tract, its probably completely choked by schmoo from the constant EGR activation after the emissions "fix".

@J.R.  a 2018 model car is an EA288 engine (Euro 6 emission compliant) not the EA189 (Euro 5) engine that was  affected by "emissions fix" scandal. 

@aidy55 TDI timing belt is "recommended" at 60k miles or 5 years, prices vary between ~ £400 and £650 depending on where you go (independent to main dealer). 

Edited by paulski
  • Like 2

On 21/05/2023 at 09:59, langers2k said:

Be careful when converting MPG as the UK and US gallons are different sizes :wondering: 37 MPG (UK) is 7.6 L/100 whereas 37 MPG (US) is 6.2 L/100.

Wow I was not aware of that!!!!

I just learned something new 

1 hour ago, nickytheshaft said:

Wow I was not aware of that!!!!

I just learned something new 

1 UK gallon = 4.54609 litres but 1 US gallon = 3.78541 litres

On 21/05/2023 at 12:10, J.R. said:

1st world problem that amazes me!

Clean the throttle valve body and inlet tract, its probably completely choked by schmoo from the constant EGR activation after the emissions "fix". Once done your MPG and throttle response will be way better.

The EGR inlet stub can also be realigned to reduce the build up of schmoo, I bit the bullet and fitted an EGR emulator/simulator.

Both me and the other half have just bought new cars.

The cup holder size was high on her list of must haves, believe it or not!! She can't stand the size of the ones on the octy. Mindblowingly to me, it was a deal breaker on her part!

14 hours ago, BT_11vRS said:

The cup holder size was high on her list of must haves, believe it or not!! She can't stand the size of the ones on the octy. Mindblowingly to me, it was a deal breaker on her part!

The cupholders are tiny to be fair. The ones in my old Leon while not amazing, were much better. I have taken to putting my travel cup in the door storage area closest to the speaker. Fits nicely.

14 hours ago, BT_11vRS said:

Sounds like time for a new 'other half' B)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Sounds like time for a new 'other half' B)

You jest but it nearly came to it! 🤣 she's smug as her travel cup fits in the octy, mine, like @Hilly81 goes in the door pocket

59 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

So she's grumpy about the size of cup holder yet her cup fits? 

Also, what giant cups are you using that they don't fit!?!?

She's a rare breed! 

When we were looking, she was shocked how small the holders were, and I do agree they are smaller than most I've come across. Ut wasn't til after buying the car, we realised hers fit.

And for what it's worth, my cup is a Contigo, it just doesn't taper at the base like some 😁

Am I the only person in the world that doesn't want to drink from a cup while he drives his vehicle?

I drove 600 miles today, 14 hours door to door and stopped for 3 coffee breaks, the coffee drunk with a snack sitting at a table.

I bet rare breed grumpy monster cup OH drives less than 5 miles with her drink 🤣

At one coffee stop I watched bemused as a young mother with baby in some freakish moon buggy like contraption spent 15 minutes to extracting her child from the contraption,  install him/her in the child seat, then collapsing the contraption to load it in the boot, they will have spent the same time getting out so 30 minutes plus whatever they did in the services which was no more than 10 paces from her vehicle parked in the space allocated for the purpose.

They must spend an hour doing the same for a 5 minute drive to the shops and back.

As a child I was either carried on my mothers hip or my fathers shoulders and dumped in the external dicky seat of their Morris 8 Tourer, my elder sisters had the rear seat inside the cabin, no seat belts so it would have taken all of 10 seconds to load me!

• Like 2

Škoda dealerships usually stock insulated mugs that fit into the cup holders in Škoda cars.  I have one that was included when we bought our Karoq in 2019. 

13 hours ago, BT_11vRS said:

She's a rare breed! 

When we were looking, she was shocked how small the holders were, and I do agree they are smaller than most I've come across. Ut wasn't til after buying the car, we realised hers fit.

And for what it's worth, my cup is a Contigo, it just doesn't taper at the base like some 😁

Same! 😂

• Haha 1