Advice required

Hi,

New to the forum basically to seek a bit of advice. I'm currently looking at replacing my 08 Mazda 6 2.5 sport estate with something newer. I'm looking at a Skoda superb sportline 2.0TDI (150hp) estate (in meteor grey....cracking colour). 

Im just wondering if theres any common faults/issues I should be looking for? What's everyone's experience of owning superbs? It seems to tick all the boxes for me. 

Ideally I would have preferred a petrol but my budget doesn't allow me to be all the fussy it's whatever is available on used market. I'm not doing any real city driving, mostly bypass roads so Im sure diesel would be fine.  

Cheers. 

It’s a good car in general. The diesels seem to suffer from water pump issues, there is a slightly weird water pump that has a shroud that stops it working when it’s cold, in order to heat up the engine quicker. But over time the shroud gets stuck and you get wildly varying coolant temperature/overheating, new pump required. But all brands have some weak spots, this is one of Skoda (VW group)’s ones.

3 hours ago, brian_80 said:

Im just wondering if theres any common faults/issues I should be looking for?

As @nicknorman says about water pumps, with the note that this appears to apply to certain engine families rather than specific marques and/or models.

Until recently I’ve not had one single problem with my car and would still highly recommend one.

If the car you’re looking at has xenon headlights then and around 2016 check the headlight cable isn’t touching or anywhere near the high pressure coolant pipe as mines split on such a young car and only around 40k miles.

Other than that I’ve not had any issues and I only do around 3k miles a year in my diesel

TMC the traffic alert system has stopped but that’s for all VAG cars pretty much not including mib3 radios which is from 2019 onwards or so

Edited by Danoid

Thanks guys, that's great. I'm pretty fixed on a Skoda superb. I'm just torn between petrol or diesel. 

Every car will have things that can go wrong, but doesn't sound like there is anything too substantial need to look out for. 

Hopefully will be back soon with photos of new motor👍

What's your usual trip like? From the stories on here the more recent diesels do suffer a little with infrequent long journeys. I got rid of my 2014 2.0tdi Octavia for those reasons. My trips changed from weekly trips over 100miles. To more like every other month. Most trips are 10 miles or less. Got a plug in hybrid but a regular petrol would have done the job too.

7 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

My gut feeling is that's not enough so I'd go for petrol.

I appreciate the advice. To be honest that was my feeling as well, so I pulled out the sale this morning for car was looking at. Shame as it was perfect apart from that. Meteor gray estate sportline. Looked great condition. 

Back to drawing board. 

Anyone had any dealings with cinch when buying? Feels a bit odd ordering car online. Maybe I'm old school though, like to kick some tyres🤣

• Like 1

2.0 petrol engines commonly develop a coolant leak from the combined thermostat/waterpump housing on the front of the engine with coolant then running down the front of the block. Apparently it rarely lets go spectacularly but its not something I was prepared to leave on mine (a 2018 Sportline 280 with 30k miles). Its a common fault on the engine in all the vehicles it appears in (Golf most common). cost me £660 inc parts to get fixed at my local independant.

Other than that the 2.0 petrol units appear to be pretty reliable.

5 hours ago, brian_80 said:

I appreciate the advice. To be honest that was my feeling as well, so I pulled out the sale this morning for car was looking at. Shame as it was perfect apart from that. Meteor gray estate sportline. Looked great condition. 

Back to drawing board. 

Anyone had any dealings with cinch when buying? Feels a bit odd ordering car online. Maybe I'm old school though, like to kick some tyres🤣

Your money but it would have been fine

Two 1.4 150bhp ACT in the family. One manual, one DSG, Both have been mechanically 100% reliable. It is a refined, quick and frugal engine and in my mind much better than the noisier diesels assuming you're not doing mega mileages.

Look out for:

Can be noisy on big wheels

Creaky front suspension
Electric window switch one touch can fail

Cracked chrome on DSG gear deliver
Poor fitting glovebox lid
Corroded brake discs
Failed boot handle switch

Climatronic pollution sensor failure

Top chrome window surrounds can fall off, most fixed under warranty by now.

Most of the above is a cheap an easy fix and wouldn't detract from the ownership experience. 

My last Superb (190 L&K) was a diesel.  Before covid it was fine, and I was doing a lot of miles.  During and post-covid, probably no more than 15 miles a day, and I was having to take it for motorway spins to clear the DPF.  You could tell when it was due - it smelt like it was burning when the car tried to do "active regeneration" (usually not enough).  Changed to a petrol L&K last year.

• Like 1

I'm in a similar position as I've retired sine buying my diesel.  During the winter, especially if we have a spell of bad weather and I don't go far, I have to drive up and down the Brecon Bypass to clear the DPF.  It's OK at the moment as I'm in Lithuania and the long drive doesn't give any active regeneration problems.  When I started out from home, the car was showing AdBlue range was 5,500 miles and after covering over 1,600 miles, the range has only dropped to 5,000 miles, so I assume the DPF runs cleaner when the car is covering long distances at full temperature.

• Like 1

@PenpusherThe issue is that the range for Adblue stops dropping by the likes of 500 miles a time and when you fill with Adblue the range gets better as the miles go on the car, 

then eventually Regens get more frequent and Adblue is sipped and the clogged DPF starts showing and takes longer and longer to clear.

Well with some, the last of the great defeat device Euro 6 TDI's. After 2015 / 16.

DSCN1207.JPG.0235449e45950d641c1214f8fbf8eb6c.jpeg

DSCN3648.JPG.8968cfaf1c3b011a7c4bf181220053e5.jpeg

DSCN1297.JPG.60c76491ebd93caad22ab91badc68005.jpeg

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

On 22/05/2023 at 11:56, brian_80 said:

Back to drawing board. 

Also my totally unscientific and unproven feeling that your use case don't suit a diesel. 10miles barely enough to warm up the engine regardless of motorway or not. OK in high summer but winter ....

• Like 1