Real world mpg

My 2015 vRS TSI DSG averaged 29.5mpg over a measured 25,300 miles.

For perspective, the majority of my vRS's travelling was four miles in 30mph stop-start traffic, doing home to work.  So mine's probably a worst case scenario.  A steady run would easily see early to mid 40's.

Best tank was 42.4mpg.

Gaz

1920740034_Screenshot2023-05-26at15_19_21.thumb.jpeg.bcb25195f0d106b6bb665c246737bc75.jpeg

Edited by Gaz
Added a screen shot

It'll depend how you drive and what roads you're on....

In comparison to Gaz, my '18 plate vRS 245 (hatch, manual box) has averaged 37.5 MPG over the last 32k miles, best tank was 43.6 and the worst was 33.

How many miles a year are you doing and how long are your journeys normally? TDi's can take a while get to get warm which can really effect the economy.

Thanks for replying, About 12k per year I used to have a 25th anniversary GTI which diesel and was spoilt by the economy and preformance. My tfsi has a stage 1 on it and I can get 34 if drive it on a long run super careful,  I'm feeling now that I want that kind of figure at worst. I'm considering a 16 plate tdi so I can get round the clean air charges when I have to drive into Brum work. 

I commute a 5 mile journey into work and back, mixture of 40/50mph dual carriageways and 30mph town and I'll see 32mpg most times. I get 37ish going out to my parents in the sticks and best I had was 41mpg on a sensible motorway journey. Mines a 220 DSG and I drive it sensibly most of the time.

• Like 1

With those kinda of figures @Dooge that threw a spanner in the works. I was also this time considering getting one with DSG even with the fact it costs more to tax. The petrol and diesel prices are only a penny difference that was another thing that was steering me towards the diesel. 

20 minutes ago, BiggaG said:

With those kinda of figures @Dooge that threw a spanner in the works. I was also this time considering getting one with DSG even with the fact it costs more to tax. The petrol and diesel prices are only a penny difference that was another thing that was steering me towards the diesel. 

Depends on time of year. Winter I see 28ish for the same commute. But a 5 mile commute see's my oil temp get to 75-80 degrees as I'm arriving in the winter. Based on that I wouldn't own a diesel unless I was doing at least a 12 mile journey, it just wouldn't be worth it. I covered just over 6k last year and probably won't do much more than that this year.

Guaranteed you'd always get better MPG with a diesel but you'd need a newer TDi for clean air zones whereas you'll have more flexibility with Petrols from what I understand.

Compare the issues with diesels in waterpumps, carbon build up and DPF issues the offset isn't alot compared to petrol problems.

You'll pay more for a petrol and DSG, they just seem to command more money than diesel and generally the diesels will be the leggier ones. 

• Like 1

Is there anyone else getting the same or more mpg out thier petrol vrs and what year? It seems as that after 2017 years mpg is better.

Today I did 38.6mpg from Southampton to Yeovil, not taking it easy.

On way back, drove carefully and 46.5mpg.

If I put it in eco I could have gained a few more, I only had a green score of 87.

Petrol / DSG box, Tesco 99.

2015 Vrs 220 DSG. Original 18 mile commute on steady B roads with national limits saw anywhere between 37-41mpg.

I now do a 9 mile duel carriageway stint and I'm seeing 32-35mpg.

Family trips fully loaded and a steady 70 see between 40-42mpg.

Best ever is 44mpg

I am getting 4,7-5 l/100 km from 2.0TDI (MY 2019). Car is driven almost exclusively  on long trips (200+ km one way) on motorways with some local roads. Speed is 120 km/h, with 3-4 persons in a car.

Facelift 2018 tsi 245 (running 310bhp)

5 mile commute can see anything between 22-30mpg (depending how I hit the traffic lights,there is lots of them. . If I end up stood at all of them mpg suffers massively)

Did a 300+ mile trip to Dundee in Dec (2 days after it was mapped, so it was good to see what it would do) boot loaded with Christmas presents and all the gear for 2 people and a baby for 5 days and managed 47mpg. . While keeping fully to the speed limits,not sitting at 60mph or anything.

1 hour ago, RoddersUK said:

I'm pre then!

If your car is the one in your profile picture its a facelift not pre-facelift

Pre-one headlight 

Facelift-spit headlights

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BiggaG said:

Mpg in the 40s has definitely got me thinking about the petrol cars again. That's near diesel territory. 

It's not rocket science, if you have a fairly traffic-free10-20 mile A road commute, then buy a petrol. Otherwise just get a diesel, particularly as it's getting to be cheaper than petrol. All the cars in my signature block  and my current 272 have returned 32-34 Mpg winter  37-42 Mpg summer only because of my commute and motorway type driving.  

Edited by Redboy
Adding mpg info.

I filled up today meaning I had my first properly measured tank since owning the car. 2019 vRS 245, completely standard. 38.7mpg. Lots of short trips. Probably only 100ish motorway miles. Costco 97 petrol. Pretty happy with that to be fair. 

I meant to check what the car said ‘since refuelling’ but completely forgot. Good car.