My Superbs DRL turning yellow

Any experts here to comment abt a problem with Skoda Superb 2017 DRLs tuning yellow and light itself is very DIM. Any DIY solution instead of replacing headlights which costs bomb!

IMG-20230605-WA0021.jpg

IMG-20230605-WA0023.jpg

• Sad 1

As far as I know, u can't replace or fix the DRL illumination separately.

It's literally part of the headlight assembly, and can't accessed unless u open up the headlight unit.

5 hours ago, JR RS said:

As far as I know, u can't replace or fix the DRL illumination separately.

It's literally part of the headlight assembly, and can't accessed unless u open up the headlight unit.

Did I imagine you said there was an LED driver?

Either was as the OP’s both like that I can’t see a double failure happening, possible though

4 hours ago, Danoid said:

Did I imagine you said there was an LED driver?

Either was as the OP’s both like that I can’t see a double failure happening, possible though

Discoloured LEDs, even Xenons r not caused by the AFS Slave modules (driver) or ballast.

If it's a faulty driver - the LEDs will stop working altogether, or it will flicker, misbehave.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, deepshegde said:

I have this problem with both my headlamps unfortunately, does driver module comes as seperate part or its part of assembly?

There 3 modules on each headlight - 2x drivers and 1x ballast.

U could try replacing each of the drivers, but it will b trial and error as to which one, and likely an expensive exercise. They might also need coding and/or parameterization.

Based on my SLA headlight retrofit, I would look at the modules (LED driver) with part number 8U0941329, assuming u have the Version A headlights.

If u have Version B, then it's 4H0941329.

aviary-image-1549226291467.thumb.jpeg.f383ff5785a542bd5938ffda9521dce5.jpeg

1 hour ago, deepshegde said:

Thanks folks...just wondering if it is faulty led module then would ut not throw error code?

Yes it will throw an error if there's a problem, but then it will b obvious with the actual lights not working, or flickering.

In ur case, the yellowness - it is not a symptom of a faulty module, at least I doubt it.

I have the exact same issue. 2017 Skoda Superb Bi-Xenon headlights. Right side DRL went yellow and  now the bottom longer stripe is hardly visable. Left side is now yellow too and dying slowly. The smaller side part of the DRL is still bright on both sides.

Had Skoda do test on the right side when it was dying.

Full replacement of headlights required. $1600 per headlight. 

I just bought an OBD11 and used the preset coding to activate the option to turn on the menu to allow turning off the DRL's. 

Once the headlights activate at night though the DRL's automatically come back on again which is annoying. 

Once the left side bottom DRL strip burns out  completely as well, will reactivate the DRL menu and live with only the side DRL strip on both headlights.

• Like 1
  • Crying 1

1 minute ago, Hank98 said:

I just bought an OBD11 and used the preset coding to activate the option to turn on the menu to allow turning off the DRL's. 

Depends on country but in some countries its illegal to not have DRL's after a certain model year. Just a heads up for anyone doing this :) 

• Like 1

Crikey....that's two 2017 Superbs here in Oz with faded yellow DRLs!!

Mine is a 2017 model too, but it's still behaving..... touchwood.

In fact, I retrofitted even older headlights in mine, one manufactured in 2015 and the other in 2016 - because I retrofitted SLA headlights.

Screenshot_20230607-221212.thumb.png.e9e864c0395cef7ac0104f791155340d.png

2 hours ago, Danoid said:

I do find it odd how passenger and drive side have both done the same thing.

Have you had any work done on the car recently or coded the car in any way?

Do the indicators look normal?

@Danoid yes, turn indicators work perfectly fine..its just that white DRLs faded ir turned yellowish. See video.

Just a thought here, but I seem to recall while playing around with a OBDII device on my old mk2 Superb that for certain lightings, such as DRL's etc, there was an option to regulate the voltage that was supplied to them. I'm not 100% certain however if the DRL's were included in that aspect, but certainly some of the lights did have the option to do just that with. Is this option carried over to the mk3 and if so, has someone invoked that possibly and chosen an bad voltage? 

This is something that my own newly acquired mk3 has, when I saw it at the dealers it had the long horizontal section on the N/S not working, they ordered anew fitting and fitted it prior to handing the car over and now the N/S is nice and white light while the O/S has a yellowish tinge to it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/06/2023 at 12:01, Graham Butcher said:

Just a thought here, but I seem to recall while playing around with a OBDII device on my old mk2 Superb that for certain lightings, such as DRL's etc, there was an option to regulate the voltage that was supplied to them. I'm not 100% certain however if the DRL's were included in that aspect, but certainly some of the lights did have the option to do just that with. Is this option carried over to the mk3 and if so, has someone invoked that possibly and chosen an bad voltage? 

This is something that my own newly acquired mk3 has, when I saw it at the dealers it had the long horizontal section on the N/S not working, they ordered anew fitting and fitted it prior to handing the car over and now the N/S is nice and white light while the O/S has a yellowish tinge to it.

Both mine have failed on my mk3. Any idea what the part was that they fitted??

18 minutes ago, Philtaxi said:

Both mine have failed on my mk3. Any idea what the part was that they fitted??

Yes, it was a complete new headlamp unit and that was very expensive I was told that it was about £700 trade, but for a single unit it is probably even dearer but the dealer tells me that they got deal because he also had to replace the N/S rear lamp cluster and he was cheeky 😉 enough to ask if he could get a deal by buying both items. So unless you are able to get a trade deal I would expect that you'd be looking at something around £1000 per headlamp?

Now is an interesting fact, I just Googled to see if you was put your car in an MOT test with the DRL's not working, would it pass or be a failure, and the answer is it would be a pass if your car was registered before 1st March 2018.

Would a broken daytime running light be an MoT fail? | Ask Honest John | Honest John 

Edited by Graham Butcher

40 minutes ago, IulianE said:

they can be fixed.Even in Romania are shops wich can unseal the lamps and replace the modules.Is not OE but is not 1.6 k either.

I am based in india. Anyway i can get parts or kit for repair?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, IulianE said:

they say Superb 3 has same drl design

https://youtu.be/a84UTrQD4Q8

Ok, couldn't interpret the language but i gather he changed LED DRL Module driver part no 301 330 064. Not sure if this part is compatible with Skoda Superb Mk3. I tried to reach out to that guy on insta...so far hasnt responded.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JR RS said:

It's a different design, although same technology.

Superb 3 has an L-shaped DRL

Octavia 3 has a single line DRL

You are right and even part numbers will be different because superb DRL is 2 piece and Octavia is just one tube. I am still researching a better way to get part numbers before ripping apart the headlight. From what i understood so far is that this could be simply burnt out LEDs attached to a controller and then light is projected using a transparent tube. I do not see why tube will become discouloured. I found this video on YouTube not for superb but for Audis:

https://youtu.be/zELs-TY9Cy0