Pi$$ED OFF

29 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I think the vehicle that the 3rd party was driving is influencing your judgement and equally may have influenced the decision of the OP to make a risky overtake.

It was a 60mph speed limit and the OP was only doing an indicated 51mph on the dashcam when the Ferrari hit him. Had the Ferrari not sideswiped the OP, I expect the OP would have got up to about 60mph before moving back onto the left side of the single carriageway, about 5 seconds or 150 yards further up the road.

The Ferrari doesn't influence my judgement because had it been a Fabia, my judgement would be the same.

On 60mph speed limit single carriageways many drivers do choose to drive at 60mph. However, I can see a yellow sign on a photograph dated March 2023 on google maps steetview near the accident spot that says "New 40mph Speed Limit Proposed Here" so that would indicate that the council aren't happy with drivers doing 60mph along that section of road. Maybe it's an accident blackspot.

"New 40mph Speed Limit Proposed Here" sign shown on google maps streetview (photo dated March 2023)

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.2409309,-0.5210647,3a,15y,101.98h,83.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s12ZfSmzt1z2_ylHZJ4SImg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Carlston said:

It was a 60mph speed limit and the OP was only doing an indicated 51mph on the dashcam when the Ferrari hit him. Had the Ferrari not sideswiped the OP, I expect the OP would have got up to about 60mph before moving back onto the left side of the single carriageway, about 5 seconds or 150 yards further up the road.

I made no mention of speed, in the context of the accident its not relevant, in the context of whether it was a risky overtake then the speed, the visibility and the distances are very relevant, the latter is hard(er) for me to judge from a selective partial video.

• Like 1

I was very surprised to learn that there were any NSL country roads left in Surrey, some 26 years ago when the roads were my personal racetrack there was already far too much traffic on them for me to continue to indulge my selfishness, I took to getting up at dawn on Sundays to go for long blats in Surrey and Sussex (I lived on the border) one Sunday I was shocked to find that every one of my favorite roads had had the limits reduced to 40mph, all the signs were new so some guys had been very busy that week.

Sussex at that time was unchanged but 40mph limits have pretty much crept in everywhere, even back in the day I could not find any NSL B roads in Surrey, very shocked to find there was one and that there was supposedly a gap in the traffic long enough to overtake 2 vehicles.

• Like 1

I watched an impatient driver in front of me do exactly the same thing today trying to overtake 4 cars behind a convoi agricole (combine harvester), it was fairly obvious all of the 4 cars were wanting to do the same thing but hopefully waiting for those in front to overtake first, one moved over oh so slowly to look past, he was sat well back and the overtaker either didn't see him which is scary or decided to go for it, even scarier, he ended up in the ditch because his reaction was so exaggerated he lost control.

Every weekend and Mondays for the last 19 years I see at least 3 or 4 cars in ditches or on their roofs in fields, there never seems to be any other vehicle involved or any skid marks, usually on dead straight roads as well.

Be careful out there.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

Got this back from my insurers 

Claim Update: Based on a detailed review of your claim and the information you have provided, we believe that you were not responsible for the accident. We've sent our views to the other insurer and will update you once we receive their response.

I take it that you gave them your dashcam footage as well, with that they can't fail to agree that the other driver was to blame for the accident, anyone who has not got themselves one really should reconsider getting one in their car, especially with the rising cost of premiums these days.

• Like 2

Just now, Graham Butcher said:

I take it that you gave them your dashcam footage as well, with that they can't fail to agree that the other driver was to blame for the accident, anyone who has not got themselves one really should reconsider getting one in their car, especially with the rising cost of premiums these days.

I gave my dashcam footage and screenshot of the SORN information to my insurers, the latter the next day and they we're most grateful and I think that the Ferrari will only be covered for 3P,F&T, so he could find himself with a BIG bill for his car, my car, plus my expenses for legal costs and hire car charges. 

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

You are the Third Party, why could he find his-self with a bill for your vehicle and your expenses?

Not the old "if your vehicle is not taxed your insurance is invalid" nonsense again is it?

Edited by J.R.