Creaking noise on slow manoeuvre fix

And the official VAG solution to this design error?

Slather the console bushes in grease 🙄

I've been saying this was the problem for a long time and their solution was ludicrous and in denial , thanks for posting the photographic evidence 👍

• Like 3

You have now lost the NVH benefits of a void bush but its better than accepting metal to metal contact.

19 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You have now lost the NVH benefits of a void bush but its better than accepting metal to metal contact.

It was a concern while looking into replacements. 
Superpro claimed no difference in NVH levels, which is something i’m always sceptical about until I can test myself. 

I have to say though, since fitting them, I have genuinely not noticed any difference at all in NVH levels. 
(So far) the car is driving quieter and smoother than ever, which has even been noticed by passengers. 
I’ll just have to drive it and see what longevity is like, but so far there are no negatives at all. 
obviously, if I do come across any, I will report back to help others avoid any pitfalls if attempting the same fix for issues of their own. 

• Like 4

The longevity will be far more than the original void bushes, they were probably still like new, they have metal to metal contact from new and the dealers slather them with grease, some forum members were even brainwashed into thinking it was a standard service procedure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gammyleg said:

What were the approx costs of the replacements and were they a DIY fix or garage?

If you’re only doing the arms then it’s a DIY and you could set the alignment by line of sight if you’re not too far from tyre centre to get it done. It will need adjusted as mine was WAY off when the new arms went in. 
The new arms were £230 or thereabouts plus postage depending on where you are. Everything to N.I from the mainland is like a million pounds to send these days, if they’ll even send it at all. A lot of mainland delivery is free. 

Edited by UndertheRadar
  • Like 1

what are your thoughts,
what advantages give whole arms replacement
instead to just replacing the rubb mounts to
8S0 407 183 B (AUDI TTS) or 5Q0 407 183 F (AUDI S3),

last one were installed on my previous ŠS Mk3 2016 TSI 220ps FWD, no complaints :)

i'm in preparing of new parts list for my current ŠS Mk3.FL 2023 TSI 280ps AWD
20221012T160233723.jpg

47 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

what are your thoughts,
what advantages give whole arms replacement
instead to just replacing the rubb mounts to
8S0 407 183 B (AUDI TTS) or 5Q0 407 183 F (AUDI S3),

last one were installed on my previous ŠS Mk3 2016 TSI 220ps FWD, no complaints :)

i'm in preparing of new parts list for my current ŠS Mk3.FL 2023 TSI 280ps AWD
20221012T160233723.jpg

The entire arm was replaced as it wasn’t that much more expensive to buy the entire arm compared to buying the bushes and the ball joint separately. 
Also the fact that on quite a few occasions, the OEM arms can allow the replacement bush to flex/move after being pressed in. The arm must distort slightly during fitment. This requires a new arm anyway. 
With all the time wasted messing about pressing, it’s just handier and quicker to replace the arms. 
it’s personal preference though, as I’ve seen the bushes you refer to giving great results as well. 
I actually was initially going to try that route until I found the ones I used and for the reasons above just went that route. 

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Thank you @UndertheRadar I've finally had enough of mine creaking on anything lowspeed. Be that bumps, and humps, to manouvering. Even noting it with a little speed, <20mph.

My local Indy also said not much can be done as they all do it. I've been putting it off as it's only noise, but it didn't do it when I brought it so even the worst mechnaically minded person should figure out thats a change in behaviour.

I'll see if they are willing to change the mounts, otherwise a new local indy will be sought.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ColinD said:

Thank you @UndertheRadar I've finally had enough of mine creaking on anything lowspeed. Be that bumps, and humps, to manouvering. Even noting it with a little speed, <20mph.

My local Indy also said not much can be done as they all do it. I've been putting it off as it's only noise, but it didn't do it when I brought it so even the worst mechnaically minded person should figure out thats a change in behaviour.

I'll see if they are willing to change the mounts, otherwise a new local indy will be sought.

Mine was driving me nuts and my OCD decided it had, had enough of it. 
The only thing I would do differently if I had the cradle out again (roll bar) is for an alignment kit. Racingline do one that looks like it might cut out all the faffing about when doing the wheel alignment, and save a load of ramp time. 
The arms are definitely the source of the creaking/grinding and well worth the cost in mental health benefits alone. 

3 hours ago, UndertheRadar said:

The arms are definitely the source of the creaking/grinding and well worth the cost in mental health benefits alone.

Is this a different sound to the well documented ARB creaking feature, or could this thread be mistaken for it? (or vice versa for that matter!?)

52 minutes ago, numskull said:

Is this a different sound to the well documented ARB creaking feature, or could this thread be mistaken for it? (or vice versa for that matter!?)

The ARB will show under different circumstances. Going up or coming down off speed ramps etc. Sounds more like a rubber creaking. 
the arms sounds like a metal creaking and appears during slow speed manoeuvres or when crawling in traffic, just before you would come to a stop. 
The first time I heard it, it sounded like the low brake pad warning, and eventually almost like metal on metal when pads are done. Just not as high pitched as a worn pad. 
I uprated the roll bar at the same time (wasn’t making a noise) only to avoid further hassle removing some of the new items when pulling out the cradle. 
Basically, I had ramp time (a rare thing indeed) and did everything. 

• Like 1

Thanks @UndertheRadar.  At the moment it’s only the squeeky bed sound I’ve experienced (the ARB is doing it again) so I’ll listen out for the grawncing sound of the arms destroying themselves! That’s after I stop trying to listen for weird sounds from the DSG/Haldex/Diff/Tyres blah blah blah..😂

• Haha 1

@ZacDaMan72

Front axle most likely will get this tested setup
-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/514514-superb-sportline-shock-replacement/#comment-5767281
+ this thread hero (Superpro TRC1070)

+ Bilstein Top Mounts (partcode ???)

still have no answers for Rear Axle

1. which Eibach Pro springs will add stiffness without lowering on 280ps AWD

2. are Bilstein B6 Damptronics the same for 220ps FWD and 280ps AWD

p.s.

have made few attempts to order APR Suspension Control Unit (SCU) Upgrade - MQB - VW Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC)

but payment were returned and i have saved huge amount of $$$$

• Like 1

Just by way of an update on this. Anyone thinking of going down the same route to upgrade suspension and roll. 
everything so far is going well apart from the new OEM front drop links, which have started to pack in very quickly. 
obviously not up to the extra work load being asked of them from the bar being quite a lot stiffer. 
I’ve ordered super pro trc4301 links and will report back once they arrive and I’ve had a chance to fit them. 

Are the Superpro arms lighter than OEM?  Have you notice any difference in camber?  Mines is creaking like nobodies business especially from the rear - I'd be interested in the MQB alloy control arms as an upgrade. 

I do have B16 Coilovers with Whiteline ARB's, which I believe the installer never greased the bushes as the kit didnt come with some! 

3 hours ago, Awesam said:

Are the Superpro arms lighter than OEM?  Have you notice any difference in camber?  Mines is creaking like nobodies business especially from the rear - I'd be interested in the MQB alloy control arms as an upgrade. 

I do have B16 Coilovers with Whiteline ARB's, which I believe the installer never greased the bushes as the kit didnt come with some! 

I would say no as I didn’t notice any difference when lifting one or the other. 
The alloy arms are listed as a lighter version of the same arm when upgrading for the track to try and save weight where possible. Not sure it’ll make a big difference in a passenger car with variable loads at any given time. 
Camber was fine, but the alignment need reigned in quite significantly after fitting to correct it. 
They do have another similar arm but it designed with offset bushes to adjust caster. Should be a TRC1071 arm. 
I went with the H&R bars due to them claiming no grease needed due to the bushes they use. 
Only time will tell if this is true or not. 

Super pro don't list these arms as a replacement for the Superb, was the length the same? 

Someone on FB Australia group followed your advice but arms were shorter, lost camber and the front of the car was raised! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Awesam said:

Super pro don't list these arms as a replacement for the Superb, was the length the same? 

Someone on FB Australia group followed your advice but arms were shorter, lost camber and the front of the car was raised! 

There’s Two different arms for the front from them. 
Different part numbers. 
One is listed as camber adjustment. 
These arms are the same length. Measured before fitment and confirmed with supplier. 
My camber is spot on and front of car height unchanged. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, I’m interested in these arms as mine are starting to make a few noises, so it’ll need addressing in the near future.

As Awesam said, superpro don’t list any comparability with the superb so I emailed them and they claim these parts aren’t interchangeable….

So then I thought I’d research the golf vs superb control arms and found this.

IMG_2822.thumb.jpeg.e48e74a0676bf3ac767e42f351b92895.jpeg

Golf control arm is 313 ‘wide’.

IMG_2823.thumb.jpeg.55b294c60bd9d6a9260bdacfc31ddf23.jpeg

Superb control arm is 327.5 ‘wide’.

So now I’m fascinated as to how this has worked, because this ties up with what the Aussie person found.

Thoughts anyone?

• Like 1

On 09/11/2023 at 18:16, rcblur69 said:

Hi, I’m interested in these arms as mine are starting to make a few noises, so it’ll need addressing in the near future.

As Awesam said, superpro don’t list any comparability with the superb so I emailed them and they claim these parts aren’t interchangeable….

So then I thought I’d research the golf vs superb control arms and found this.

IMG_2822.thumb.jpeg.e48e74a0676bf3ac767e42f351b92895.jpeg

Golf control arm is 313 ‘wide’.

IMG_2823.thumb.jpeg.55b294c60bd9d6a9260bdacfc31ddf23.jpeg

Superb control arm is 327.5 ‘wide’.

So now I’m fascinated as to how this has worked, because this ties up with what the Aussie person found.

Thoughts anyone?

I'm the Aussie guy who had TRC1070 on my Superb and then removed it. I can confirm the arms for Golf are shorter than the ones on Superb.

I also did some calculation:

The front track on a Golf R MK7.5 is 1537mm. The OEM wheels on MK7.5 are et50, So the distance from left disc to right disc is 1637mm.

The front track on Superb is 1578mm, supernova wheels are et44. The distance between two discs is 1666mm.

AFAIK, the subframe on Golf R and Superb are actually the same size, correct me if I am wrong. In this case, two arms on Superb are 29mm longer than Golf R's arms in total. So each is 14.5mm longer.

Which 100% match the number you showed here. 

6 minutes ago, rcblur69 said:

Cheers for the input, glad the maths all adds up.

What doesn’t add up is how @UndertheRadar got this work. Intrigued.

I think I’m going to go down the more oem+ route anyway of solid rubber bushes.

You can still replace the OE rubber bushings with poly bushings. My front suspension is full poly now.