1.0 TSi and 1.5 TSi Cambelt change interval

Hi all... I'm looking at getting a 2018/2019 Octavia with either 1.0 or 1.5 TSi engine. Can anyone clarify the cambelt change interval, as I'm getting mixed messages from the dealers selling the cars, and not all are franchised dealers. Looking on-line there doesn't seem to be a clear answer either, with some comments that Skoda have changed the intervals from 5 years to 10 years.

As the 2018 cars are 5 years old quite a few are noted as having the belt changed, however, another car for sale is at 90k miles and the non-franchised dealer is saying it doesn't need to be done until 140,000 miles.

Would appreciate some guidance, and a rough cost to change the belt...

Many Thanks..

If they are giving mixed messages then they have not caught up on the stuff VW / Skoda UK started putting out from July 2023.

Maybe read the many threads on here about them dropping the @5 years in the UK for Cam Belt replacements.

Maybe avoid places where the Service Desk Staff can not actually get their info from the Master Tech, or leave you having to 'Call a friend or ask on social media. 

If you get a 1.0 TSI done it is not as expensive as a 1.5 TSI ACT which might get you quotes from £850 - £1,150.

(There are places that have even messed up doing 1.0 TSI,s.  As seen in the Fabia Mk3 section. Simple enough with the looking tool and follow the correct procedure.)

Best you ask at where you might go to have the cam belt changed, see what they quote, if they have the equipment and the knowledge to do it.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/510175-karoq-cam-belt-change-start-saving-now/page/8

575794279_Screenshot2023-03-1822_35_35.jpg.f1eafd544592c6770c8a17f54f93155c.jpg.6eaa9972ff8192f71328afb8002892f6.jpg

Edited by toot
  • Like 2

I asked Skoda UK this same question regarding my son's 2017 Octavia and my 2018 model (both with the 1.0 TSI engine).  Their reply is below.  I believe the same arrangements also apply to the 1.5TSI engine.  Two local Skoda dealers also told me the same.

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the recommended interval for changing the timing belt on your vehicle.

I can confirm that the ŠKODA recommendation for the timing belt servicing on both vehicles is below:

Inspection every 15 years or 180000 miles which ever comes first.

I hope this information proves useful. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me on the details below.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, toot said:

It is similar as in it is a TSI and a cambelt.

I take it yours is a 1.4 TSI but not a 1.4 TSI ACT.  If it is or even not the £320 is much cheapness taking into account the parts & VAT.

Yes it is a non ACT 1.4tsi, I got mine done at 150k as didn't want to risk of pushing it any further despite no specific intervals from VW

• Like 1

Officially the 1.5tsi ACT engine is 10 yearly change intervals (mileage dependent), but that's only guidance, there would be no guarantee if it were to snap early. Skoda wouldn't pick up the bill, unless it was within their extended warranty. I own a 19 plate 1.5tsi, recently took out Skodas all in warranty/servicing package, so if my belt were to snap over the next two years, as it's still on the original belt it would be covered. 

I'd probably test drive the 1.0tsi engine first, I was impressed by it, although it was fitted within a friends Up GTI, that cars a lot lighter. 

• 2 months later...
On 04/09/2023 at 07:54, JamesK said:

Hi all... I'm looking at getting a 2018/2019 Octavia with either 1.0 or 1.5 TSi engine. Can anyone clarify the cambelt change interval, as I'm getting mixed messages from the dealers selling the cars, and not all are franchised dealers. Looking on-line there doesn't seem to be a clear answer either, with some comments that Skoda have changed the intervals from 5 years to 10 years.

As the 2018 cars are 5 years old quite a few are noted as having the belt changed, however, another car for sale is at 90k miles and the non-franchised dealer is saying it doesn't need to be done until 140,000 miles.

Would appreciate some guidance, and a rough cost to change the belt...

Many Thanks..

Hi I recently just bought an Octavia 1 litre TSI 2021 with just 35k on the clock & I had the same issues as you getting different answers so I decided to contact Skoda Ireland & this is their reply and answer . Hope this helps anyone else who is trying to find out information

Good afternoon Damian,

Thank you for contacting SKODA Ireland.

We have sent your VIN to our technical team to get confirmation on this query.

They confirmed that there is no timing belt service intervals for this vehicle meaning it is not needed.

They advised that it would only be necessary if some other work is performed that requires it to be changed.

Should you have any further queries, do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,
Bella

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@DamoD  That is total nonsense from Bella and her sources.

There is a timing belt service , inspection & replacement interval. 

It is just that it is many years / km away.  But there is a schedule / recommendations & guidelines.   Skoda UK and now Skoda Ireland just seems to be quoting different numbers 

and now from Skoda Ireland no numbers.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rooted said:

@DamoD  That is total nonsense from Bella and her sources.

There is a timing belt service , inspection & replacement interval. 

It is just that it is many years / km away.  But there is a schedule / recommendations & guidelines.   Skoda UK and now Skoda Ireland just seems to be quoting different numbers 

and now from Skoda Ireland no numbers.

Her sources are from the manufacture of the car so I’ll tend to lean towards what the manufacturers say .. plus my mechanic also said more or less the same thing inspect it at 250k … there’s no schedule in the manual but for the Diesel there is 

Well the others that have asked have answers of 15 years,  140,000 miles, 180,000 miles, but none have been told there is no service interval that have posted the replies.

So really it is not a No Service Interval it is a long time in the future.    Which is amazeballs because just in June 2023 in the UK it was still 50,000 miles / 5 years and the rest of Europe / EU & dust free what ever they decided to give in Time / km,s.

Have Skoda now globally deleted the service schedule for belt replacement of 1.0 TSI,s since others have been told it was extended? 

?

Are Tensioners for life not just for Christmas and leave until theu fail?

SEAT had deleted the Service Schedule back before February 2023.

Screenshot 2023-11-29 14.58.30.png

Edited by Rooted

I’m just passing on the information I received from Skoda directly a quick search shows they revised there maintenance schedule in July also a quick search on the forums shows where that’s been acknowledged . So in that respect I tend to go with what the manufacture of the car states. It’s like if you Google Ford focus timing belt replacement you’ll get all sort of information mostly wrong stating the belt needs replacing every 60k when in fact it’s a 10 year wet belt or replaced 130,000 miles whichever comes first