Erroneous warning lights infrequent pre service but now almost constant!

Nmh

Have enjoyed my 2014 Superb 1.8 petrol estate Elegance for a couple of years but then erroneous warnings and lights started coming on - abs, light tracking, tyre pressure etc. I knew they were erroneous because tyres were def no losing pressure etc. 

My wife got nervous and wanted me to have them checked out by the local garage before a long drive. Garage said they 'updated the computer' and 'updated bug fixes' but now these warnings come on MORE frequently. And I paid £300 for this 'service'!!

Wondering what the issue might be - or if more gravity to it then simply getting the garage to up their game? Should I suggest they use or pay for a particular update to their system? 

Thanks so much in advance. 

IMG_7514.jpeg

The only way to know for sure, is for a diagnostic scan. A member with VCDS should be able to help you, there is a thread with a members map somewhere, I'll try to find a link.

All of those lights (apart from the bulb warning) are related to ABS sensor, so could be a sensor, wiring, ABS pump etc.

Get it scanned, and it will help you pinpoint what's at fault.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nackuk said:

Put a new battery in it.

The battery might be the problem, before buying a new battery a small analysis (monitor battery voltage during engine off, starting and engine on) might be useful.

Otherwise you drop yourself to the level of so-called mechanics who do not perform any fault-analysis, but simply replace random parts (at the customer's cost) until the problem is solved....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, softscoop said:

The only way to know for sure, is for a diagnostic scan. A member with VCDS should be able to help you, there is a thread with a members map somewhere, I'll try to find a link.

All of those lights (apart from the bulb warning) are related to ABS sensor, so could be a sensor, wiring, ABS pump etc.

Get it scanned, and it will help you pinpoint what's at fault.

That is the only correct way to go. 👍
I also suspect there is a problem somewhere in the ABS circuit, and most likely also a broken bulb (which bulb it is can be found somewhere in the maxidot menu).

Edited by andrehj

19 hours ago, Nmh said:

I knew they were erroneous because tyres were def no losing pressure etc.

That was a misjudgement.

19 hours ago, Nmh said:

Garage said they 'updated the computer' and 'updated bug fixes' but now these warnings come on MORE frequently. And I paid £300 for this 'service'!!

Nice work if you can get it!!!!!!!!!

As others have said you will most likely have a problem with an ABS sensor and also a problem with one of the light bulbs which could well still be functioning but have an intermittent contact.

Actually on reflection since replacing a faulty LHR ABS sensor I have not had one single reoccurrence of what were frequent warnings for a rear tail light, coincidence?

Yeah I didn't say much there - was on lunch break I guess - sorry

It could be an ABS sensor with those lights. A duff battery if it has had a long service light will bring up lots of errors and dash lights too.

As above do a VCDS scan and it will pin point it right to which ABS sensor it is.

Thanks so much for everyone's input. HUGELY appreciated. 

I've found a helpful VCDS holding member nearby and will take it from there. Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

My money is on a wheel speed sensor. I've done three in the last week exact same lights (other than the bulb out that is) , two yeti's and a Transporter T6, but only way to be 100% sure is to scan it to see which one. THEN check wiring for open or short to positive/negative or each other. Clean the bearing seal tone ring (if it is that type) or the segmented ring of debris/rust. then change sensor. If you look in word 03 MVB's you can watch the four sensor wheel speeds and compare.

You could scope it if you have Picoscope or similar or just fire the parts cannon. Choice is yours.

Edited by 3T51704x4

I have the same interment issue effecting the Anti-Lock Brake System, Power Steering System, Electronic Stability Programme & Tyre Pressure Monitoring warning lights.

Sometimes its just one or two lights that come on and then sometimes its all of them. Not noticed steering getting stiffer or anything like that, checked type pressures and they are OK. I thought it could be battery related too, as the first time it occurred it was the day after towing my caravan for 2 hours. Had no issues towing it for nearly a year now, but on this occasion my son had noticed the traffic camera was still on a couple of hours after we arrived. With the caravan drawing charge, a number of gadgets also drawing charge, I thought we had run the battery down. However I gave the car a few good runs before towing the caravan home, disconnected everything so the only thing it was charging was the car battery and the fridge. The lights still came on a number of times during the 2 hour journey. The car isn't used a lot at times and can be left standing for a week or so, so thats not going to do the battery any good. Since then the stop start has kicked in a number of times, so I think that is a good indicator the battery is charged, but the lights still come on.

I’ll look into getting a VCDS diagnostic scan.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/09/2023 at 14:48, Nmh said:

Have enjoyed my 2014 Superb 1.8 petrol estate Elegance for a couple of years but then erroneous warnings and lights started coming on - abs, light tracking, tyre pressure etc. I knew they were erroneous because tyres were def no losing pressure etc. 

My wife got nervous and wanted me to have them checked out by the local garage before a long drive. Garage said they 'updated the computer' and 'updated bug fixes' but now these warnings come on MORE frequently. And I paid £300 for this 'service'!!

Wondering what the issue might be - or if more gravity to it then simply getting the garage to up their game? Should I suggest they use or pay for a particular update to their system? 

Thanks so much in advance. 

IMG_7514.jpeg

Try getting the abs sensors checked happened to mine twice

changed the dodgy sensor and a presto

should show up on diagnostic

exactly same warning lights came up

• Like 1