Windscreen replacement. Complete nightmare

Oli

First question. What windscreen do you guys have fitted to yours?

I picked up two stone chips which required the whole windscreen to be replaced as they weren’t repairable. 

Queue the approved repair company turning up the first time weeks later to replace it without a windscreen, and now two weeks later on a return appointment now with a windscreen. 

The windscreen fitted is sadly a poorly  manufactured pattern part by XYG.

The windscreen glass bows at the top and is misshapen. This means the rear view plastics don’t fit properly around the rear view mirror and fall off and rattle. The profile of the front of the car is all off, the glass doesn’t follow the bodywork properly. There’s a manufacturers logo printed about nine inches into the screen and the sensor area of the screen now has white blotches to it. 

So hard to show in photos but the windscreen curves lower down is straight along most of the swept area then curves awkwardly at the top excessively. 

I am hopeful that the company comes back shortly with the correct manufacturers part rather than a poor copy from a clone factory. Curious what other people have fitted or if they have had similar problems?

IMG_0326.thumb.jpeg.55150f6979cae459cec2e8705e590cb9.jpegIMG_0325.thumb.jpeg.c1638923da7f0526342ea36a4b57a54f.jpegIMG_0323.thumb.jpeg.3e96f4503021c7d069b07df26528fac5.jpegIMG_0320.thumb.jpeg.27219368d818d37497bc0aeffeadfbcc.jpegIMG_0319.thumb.jpeg.be1e85f0a35f166fcb25af0433655f8a.jpeg

Thank you :)

This was done to us by National Windscreens, still no call back form them to sort it 24hours later... Their engineer was a nice bloke but hampered by what their local depot sent him out with.

If anyone had photos of the top curvature of their screen and the sensor area that'd be appreciated.

I am curious how much the top of our windscreen is out by and if the dip/drop at the top if the same on the VW/AG screens.

Edited by Oli

Looks like a shoddy job done to me.

I would make a formal complaint to your insurance company (who insisted you used their approved repairer without excessive costs and excesses and tell them that you are not satisfied with the quality of the pattern part or the quality of the work carried out - If necessary they can send out one of their own inspectors to examine it as taking pictures of glass is really tricky. Make them deal with the repairer and follow it through to a satisfactory conclusion.  Your contract is with them I expect and not the 3rd party.  I am not a legal eagle mind. 

Thanks for all the responses. So here we are almost two weeks have gone again. 

I have got the insurance company and the windscreen firm talking to each other now. 

I made a simple request, I told them I appreciate that the car is now 4 years old but it’s the same screen in the ones that are three years old. I have asked for a factory part to be fitted to repair the problem. 

They have also conceded that the sensor pad should have been fixed when they swapped the screens. 

I still wait for an appointment to repair things. In the meantime I got a quote from AutoGlass who are our other approved repairer and they quoted just over £800 to repair the car…

• 3 months later...

I had my 2018 Edition windscreen replaced by Autoglass on the insurance. Since then, I noticed that the Columbus system often shows the map in 'night mode' during the day. I presume there is a sunlight sensor that is not working properly or out of calibration. I also presume that the headlights are coming on in the daytime (with switch set to usual Auto position), so there may also be an impact on economy/battery charge. The sensors behind the interior mirror look ok as far as I can see - though I do not know which one is which - or even if there is a light sensor there at all. Maybe it is the camera which does that?
(The rain sensor does seem to be working ok and I understand the camera was recalibrated - the lane assist would probably not work if it had not been).

I believe the auto headlights are also tied to a setting telling how early they should turn on. This probably changes the sensitivity when this happens. Go to Vehicle settings, select Lights menu and you should see the option there. I prefer mine to turn on early as I see so many people driving in poor visibility(not dark) or in dusk with no proper lights on their vehicles.

I had a similar issue with my 2013 Fabia Monte Carlo TDi. The radio reception was virtually nonexistent with the pattern part screen so I ended up badgering my insurance company to authorise a genuine part. The radio worked perfectly once the genuine screen was fitted. 👍