Virtual Cockpit 2023

survey

Just been to inspect a new KAROK SEL. I presently have a KAROK late 2022. Existing car is excellent but was looking for one with an electric tailgate. Dealer ordered car and it's been delivered.

I checked the dash display and instead of a choice of Virtual Cockpit including one with Speedo and separate rev counter as my present car, the new one has the most awful digital display. Choice of Speedo or rev counter ( but not both at same time), Satnav directions etc only a tiny display in monochrome not colour.

I really don't think I can live with what I consider a retrograde version. It just looks and functions so poorly.

Looks as if I shall have to decline the new car and stick with my present one.

I have a new one, and can change to any of half a dozen displays, including speedo and Rev counter dials. Right hand steering wheel controls - press lower right button to scroll through the different views. Yet to try the sat nav.

Yes but is it the latest display. There appears to be no way one can have the re counter and the Speedo on screen at the same time. My existing model does that! 

I know how to change the displays but none give both rev counter and Speedo together. If you can do that, do tell me please

3 hours ago, survey said:

Just been to inspect a new KAROK SEL. I presently have a KAROK late 2022. Existing car is excellent but was looking for one with an electric tailgate. Dealer ordered car and it's been delivered.

I checked the dash display and instead of a choice of Virtual Cockpit including one with Speedo and separate rev counter as my present car, the new one has the most awful digital display. Choice of Speedo or rev counter ( but not both at same time), Satnav directions etc only a tiny display in monochrome not colour.

I really don't think I can live with what I consider a retrograde version. It just looks and functions so poorly.

Looks as if I shall have to decline the new car and stick with my present one.

It sounds as though the car was ordered with the standard 8" digital display. When I ordered my SEL back in 2022 I specified the 'Amundsen Package Plus' option which upgrades the display from 8" to 10" enabling the two dials to be displayed with space in between for additional displays. My dad has a 2023 Polo with the 8" screen and he can only chose either the rev counter or speedo as you've described.

Edited by KaroqKent

Choclab. My guess is that your car is thesrlier cockpit display, same as my existing car. You can tell by the 'Car' menu, then click settings or car data and if you get a sub menu that days virtual cockpit, then that is the earlier display. The latest instrument panel doesn't have that sub heading at all.

22 minutes ago, survey said:

KaroqKent - miy existing car is an Amundsen 8" display. It's a late 2022 car but I can display the two dials!! It's quite bizarre!

My car is also a late (Sep) 2022 build but not completed until Dec 2022 due to chip shortages. Have you any original documentation on your old car and does it mention 'Amundsen Plus Package' anywhere (it was a £600 option on mine). The configurator is vague (nothing new there) but I seem to recall that one of the benefits of the package was to upgrade from 'digital display' to 'virtual cockpit'.

4 minutes ago, KaroqKent said:

My car is also a late (Sep) 2022 build but not completed until Dec 2022 due to chip shortages. Have you any original documentation on your old car and does it mention 'Amundsen Plus Package' anywhere (it was a £600 option on mine). The configurator is vague (nothing new there) but I seem to recall that one of the benefits of the package was to upgrade from 'digital display' to 'virtual cockpit'.

If I recall, mine is a October 2022 car but listed as a 2023 model ( but there has obviously been a subsequent upgrade. Mine definitely doesn't have an Amundsen plus package. As I said on my comment to Choclab the test is if under the car data menu section it has an item saying virtual cockpit and that mine has but the brand new car just delivered to the garage doesn't have that item at all. ( the submenu of virtual cockpit listed 5 types of panel display).

The new digital display seems so poor and crushes the Satnav repeat directions into a small monochrome space. I really don't think I can live with the new one so will probably keep my present car. Only reason I ordered a brand new one was because the dealer misinformed me of part of the spec, accepted responsibility and I've had a 6 month wait only to get an inferior dash display!

Joys of buying pre reg or ex demos, you never know what has been fitted, or added to the spec. My previous Octavia also had upgrades, some of which I did not know about until trading it in for the Karoq! Will be downloading the online manual, as don’t know how half the stuff works.

1 minute ago, Choclab said:

Joys of buying pre reg or ex demos, you never know what has been fitted, or added to the spec. My previous Octavia also had upgrades, some of which I did not know about until trading it in for the Karoq! Will be downloading the online manual, as don’t know how half the stuff works.

I agree with that. It took me some time to sort out a lot of settings and I reckon I now know more than most of my dealers staff!! 

• Haha 1

Update. I did reject the new car with the poor dash options. Sticking with present 2022 car with sensible dash options. Cannot believe that Skoda would consider the newest digital instrument panel to be an improvement. 

Edited by survey

On 27/09/2023 at 21:46, survey said:

Yes but is it the latest display. There appears to be no way one can have the re counter and the Speedo on screen at the same time. My existing model does that! 

I know how to change the displays but none give both rev counter and Speedo together. If you can do that, do tell me please

My '23 facelift SEL (collected last October) has the virtual cockpit feature & it allows the configuration you are seeking (it's how I have mine set up), although I can't recall which optional extra (of the several that I specified) causes this.

Can your dealer throw any light on this?

1 minute ago, IanPerry316 said:

My '23 facelift SEL (collected last October) has the virtual cockpit feature & it allows the configuration you are seeking (it's how I have mine set up), although I can't recall which optional extra (of the several that I specified) causes this.

Can your dealer throw any light on this?

Exactly IanPerry316.y present car is likewise a late 2022 car, model year 2023. I have mine configured as I want it. My point was that because my car didn't come with an electric tailgate, the dealer who misrepresented the car agreed to order a brand new one - that arrived s few days ago after a long wait. This new car exhibits a Skoda updated virtual dash but I had expected that with my present car being a 2023 model , the cockpit on the new one would be the same. However Skoda in its 'wisdom' has updated the dash, gone is the cockpit 5 or so options you and I presently have. The new dash is dire.

Because I couldn't live with this new dash, I declined the new car and am keeping my present car and not worrying about having a manual tailgate.

57 minutes ago, survey said:

Exactly IanPerry316.y present car is likewise a late 2022 car, model year 2023. I have mine configured as I want it. My point was that because my car didn't come with an electric tailgate, the dealer who misrepresented the car agreed to order a brand new one - that arrived s few days ago after a long wait. This new car exhibits a Skoda updated virtual dash but I had expected that with my present car being a 2023 model , the cockpit on the new one would be the same. However Skoda in its 'wisdom' has updated the dash, gone is the cockpit 5 or so options you and I presently have. The new dash is dire.

Because I couldn't live with this new dash, I declined the new car and am keeping my present car and not worrying about having a manual tailgate.

I'm note sure from where you might have got the idea that any 'wisdom' exists in the Skoda management model.

I'm still struggling (after 12 months) to work out how to operate (or not as the case may be) certain of the car's features/functions as the manual supplied is ominously silent on several points. The online manual is not downloadable in .pdf form and we are presumably therefore expected to refer to it on a smartphone while sitting in the car.

While I do have a fairly modern mobile I can't use it for internet purposes due to physical constraints. So I keep plodding away trying to find answers but have already decided to disregard certain of the car's modern 'wondertoys'.

As I and several others have commented on other threads, Fb groups and forums the car is a beaut to drive & travel in, but the electronics?........  No - I can't say what I was thinking of - I'd be banned.

By the way - I have the electric tailgate & haven't had any problems so it is with some trepidation that I read various other members' posts on that particular topic.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/09/2023 at 16:32, survey said:

Update. I did reject the new car with the poor dash options. Sticking with present 2022 car with sensible dash options. Cannot believe that Skoda would consider the newest digital instrument panel to be an improvement. 

Had a facelift late 22 Karoq as a courtesy car for the last couple of days and I can't believe how awful the basic digital dash is.    What on earth are Skoda thinking?

It was such a joy to get back in ours with its beautifully clear and uncluttered dials.

• Love it! 1

2 minutes ago, Rory said:

Had a facelift late 22 Karoq as a courtesy car for the last couple of days and I can't believe how awful the basic digital dash is.    What on earth are Skoda thinking?

It was such a joy to get back in ours with its beautifully clear and uncluttered dials.

Yes, that's the reason I rejected the new car and retained my SEL with the virtual cockpit and its rev counter and Speedo principally showing on the dash.. plus of course there are the other options. Really cannot understand Skoda not offering the virtual cockpit as standard.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks as if my present 2022 MY 2023 SEL came with the Amundsen plus package that gives the virtual cockpit that I like (circular Speedo plus rev counter side by side etc).

When my new one was delivered as I had previously mentioned it had the appalling normal basic dash so I guess the dealer should have ordered the Amundsen plus - is that still an option?

Not sure what you’re meaning by not having separate speedo and rev counters visible?
For what it’s worth I like the dash on our 2020 Sportline, clear, crisp instrumentation for both day and night driving; particularly liking the illuminated dials at night.

2 minutes ago, BTandSid said:

Not sure what you’re meaning by not having separate speedo and rev counters visible?
For what it’s worth I like the dash on our 2020 Sportline, clear, crisp instrumentation for both day and night driving; particularly liking the illuminated dials at night.

What I mean is that the standard dash on the SEL and the Storyline doesn't allow the Speedo and the rev counter to be shown adjacent to each other. One can have one or the other. My 2022 MY2023 SEL came with what I now understand is the virtual cockpit available with the Amundsen plus package ( my dealer hadn't told me that so when I ordered a new car it showed the basic dash on the SEL and a friend with a new Sport line had the same.) I turned down the new car (ordered due to a dealer's error on my SEL) and hated the standard dash options. If I had known that to get what I presently have I should have ordered an Amundsen plus package to get the virtual cockpit. 

I quite understand that some owners are quite satisfied with the basic dash but it did nothing for me!

Did  Karoq SE-L never have a virtual dash as standard?  Ours is one of the last of the pre-facelift and it has the "analogue" separate rev counter and speedo.

We're pleased with our Karoq that when our daughter's Honda Jazz recently died and she needed a car quickly we pointed her towards Kamiq and the SE-L in that has virtual dash as standard.   Kamiq facelift has recently been announced and, while they have stripped a few things off the facelift, the SE-L still has the virtual dash.

I can only think the Skoda expects every Karoq buyer will cheerfully pay for the upgrade.  That doesn't work if it's not pointed out to them, and it also means anyone buying from stock is likely to be stuck with the basic display (or be put off from buying the car).  It's even worse than having something like the "wrong" colour as you're sat staring at it all the time you're driving.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Rory said:

Did  Karoq SE-L never have a virtual dash as standard?  Ours is one of the last of the pre-facelift and it has the "analogue" separate rev counter and speedo.

We're pleased with our Karoq that when our daughter's Honda Jazz recently died and she needed a car quickly we pointed her towards Kamiq and the SE-L in that has virtual dash as standard.   Kamiq facelift has recently been announced and, while they have stripped a few things off the facelift, the SE-L still has the virtual dash.

I can only think the Skoda expects every Karoq buyer will cheerfully pay for the upgrade.  That doesn't work if it's not pointed out to them, and it also means anyone buying from stock is likely to be stuck with the basic display (or be put off from buying the car).  It's even worse than having something like the "wrong" colour as you're sat staring at it all the time you're driving.

Indeed, the virtual  cockpit should be standard rather than having to order what I now find is the Amundsen plus package. If only the dealer had pointed that out to me before I ordered the new SEL!  So, as I said, I'm sticking with my present SEL and what I consider a better dash layout!

On 29/10/2023 at 20:11, survey said:

What I mean is that the standard dash on the SEL and the Storyline doesn't allow the Speedo and the rev counter to be shown adjacent to each other. One can have one or the other. My 2022 MY2023 SEL came with what I now understand is the virtual cockpit available with the Amundsen plus package ( my dealer hadn't told me that so when I ordered a new car it showed the basic dash on the SEL and a friend with a new Sport line had the same.) I turned down the new car (ordered due to a dealer's error on my SEL) and hated the standard dash options. If I had known that to get what I presently have I should have ordered an Amundsen plus package to get the virtual cockpit. 

I quite understand that some owners are quite satisfied with the basic dash but it did nothing for me!

Can only think this is because mines on a 20 plate since when I switch on my ignition I see a speedo and rev counter alongside each other immediately in front of me. Perhaps I’m still misunderstanding something, so perhaps best leave further comments in this thread.

Not sure how well it'll show in this picture but the basic digital dash (in all trims) is like this:

Karoq dash.png

There's a couple of upgrade steps to Virtual dash, and 9.2" nav screen.  

I just checked the spec of the Kamiq SE-L we're getting and incredibly (vs Karoq spec)  both virtual dash and 9.2 screen are standard (although it seems it's a 9.2" version of the Amundsen system, rather than Columbus as the 9.2" is on Karoq).

Edited by Rory