Original tyre size? Mk1 1.2 15" alloy wheels???

Alasdair1

Hi can anyone tell me the correct tyre size for 15" alloy wheels on a fabia 06 plate. They are skoda alloys. Bought the car recently and the tyres seem a bit large. The ones fitted are 195-65-15 but the spare is a steel 14" wheel and a lot smaller? Cant remeber the size off hand.

Alasdair

Try wheel-size.com

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/skoda/fabia/2006/#trim-mk1-6y-1999-2007-eudm-12i--63

It looks like the Fabia MK1 can use either 185/55R15 or 195/50R15 fitted to a 6Jx15 ET43 rim.

However, the ride will be noticeably better on 175/65R14 fitted to 5Jx14 ET35 rims. As you can see on the link below, 175/65R14 is a very economical tyre size.

There aren't many 5Jx14 ET35 5/100 57.1 alloy rims, but the facelift version of the VW Polo MK4 did offer one alloy rim design in this specification called JEREZ...as shown in the link below.

Vredestein Quatrac 5 175/65R14 82T (3PMSF) (all-season tyre)

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m137b0s7973p211538/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac5_Vredestein_Quatrac_5_165_65_R14_79T_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_D_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_69dB

Alcar 5210 5Jx14 ET35 5/100 57.1 steel rim

ALCAR 5210

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rims/details?vehicleId=180852620338926692&rimCode=ALCAR5210

VW Polo MK4 facelift 5Jx14 ET35 5/100 57.1 alloy rim JEREZ

Picture 1 of 5

2 6Q0601025AC Aluminium rim
JEREZ
5Jx14 ET35 5/100 57.1      
  6Q0601025AC 8Z8 Diamond silver  

https://www.lllparts.co.uk/catalogs/vw/RDW/PO/657/6/601/601050

Edited by Carlston

5 hours ago, Alasdair1 said:

Hi can anyone tell me the correct tyre size for 15" alloy wheels on a fabia 06 plate. They are skoda alloys. Bought the car recently and the tyres seem a bit large. The ones fitted are 195-65-15 but the spare is a steel 14" wheel and a lot smaller? Cant remeber the size off hand.

Alasdair

I have 195/50/15 on mine, they handle well and are not too crashy, 195/65/15 is a Golf platform sized tyre, the Fabia is a Polo platform.

Cheers I did wonder. Car tends to roll and bounce a bit. I noticed when it was parked beside my Octavia that its sitting pretty high but its due an MOT so once it passes I reckon I will bin them and fit 195/50/15. The speedo also is way out its reading 30mph when actual speed is over 40mph. The guy I got it from used it for mountain biking so I can only assume he fitted them to get extra clearance.

13 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

I have 195/50/15 on mine, they handle well and are not too crashy, 195/65/15 is a Golf platform sized tyre, the Fabia is a Polo platform.

Yes the 195/50/15 is the right size, as fitted to some 2.0 Petrol Elegance models back in period

7 hours ago, Alasdair1 said:

The speedo also is way out its reading 30mph when actual speed is over 40mph.

Quite surprised that the speedo is at least 33% out, what are you using to verify the true speed, assume GPS speedo on a mobile phone. The below site can be used to compare sizes with input of original vs options with max difference showing as nominally 3%.

Tyre Size Calculator (tiresize.com)

51 minutes ago, KeithCheetham said:

Quite surprised that the speedo is at least 33% out, what are you using to verify the true speed, assume GPS speedo on a mobile phone. The below site can be used to compare sizes with input of original vs options with max difference showing as nominally 3%.

Tyre Size Calculator (tiresize.com)

Errr, using that site and inputting the two sizes I get 890 revs per mile versus 808, in anyone's money that's a 10% difference plus whatever error the Speedo already has of course...

• Like 1

Was actually following my Octavia doing 30mph which thinking of it now is probably not a very accurate way of measuring. Will need to check it properly once I replace the tyres as its for my son to learn to drive. Most of our town is now 20mph so don't want him to get a ticket especially before he passes. I first noticed the automated speed signs say 40mph when speedo is 30 . Is there an accurate way to check?

1 hour ago, Alasdair1 said:

Is there an accurate way to check?

If you have or can borrow a Sat Nav, stand alone or phone based that would probably be a good starting point, or even possibly one of the speedometer phone apps if your phone has GPS facility as many show speed. Not sure how accurate a speedometer app would be if only relying on data generated location on a phone - GPS generally locks onto many satellites so SHOULD be generally accurate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alasdair1 said:

Was actually following my Octavia doing 30mph which thinking of it now is probably not a very accurate way of measuring. Will need to check it properly once I replace the tyres as its for my son to learn to drive. Most of our town is now 20mph so don't want him to get a ticket especially before he passes. I first noticed the automated speed signs say 40mph when speedo is 30 . Is there an accurate way to check?

The tyres are completely the wrong size, change them first then worry about Speedo error.

• Like 1

As said, 195/50/R15. That's what I ran for ages, now on 185/60/R14, but that's personal preference.

Either way, you may find most of your speedo inaccuracy is removed by fitting the correct size tyres. It's meant to over-read anyway, by design of regulation. :)

Changing tyres is my first move anyway once its got its MOT and will get my son to check speed on his phone once I get the new tyres in case the speedo is way out.  

Its a 55 plate with 60000 miles and underneath is pretty spotless so with a bit of luck MOT should be ok although you never know. Checked everything I can so fingers crossed. The guy I bought it from put two new front bearings, new discs and calipers on it before he sold it. Just got to check the drums at the rear for wear.

Cheers for the replies

Alasdair

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/09/2023 at 18:14, Alasdair1 said:

Alasdair

From handbook, two sizes are quoted.

I can't quite remember the alternative, but my 04 TDI was fitted with origonal makers boots when I got it as 185/60/14 . Few years ago , daughter scrapped a Laguna with 4 good 185/65/14 , and I got them sooner than me fitting news/worn at wrong time of year. Since then I've kept to that as it seems to handle better. Strangely my speedo is pretty muck ok, as checked on Sat nav.

AP as said, I prefer ride and handling on 185/65/14.

Edited by VWD
  • Like 2