Starting / Cold starting problems- Octavia 2018 1.6 tdi

Hi folks.

New to this forum so please be gentle,

I have a 2018 1.6 tdi octavia which has until recently been very reliable,

The car starts in the morning { albeit reluctantly} and feels like it is running on 3 ( or sometimes 2) cylinders until it gets some heat through it , after which it runs fine.

My local independent garage diagnosed a fauly lamda sensor which was replaced but the problem still persists.

Any ideas or advice most welcome

2 hours ago, SGC said:

Do you think the problem lies with the glow plugs ?

It sounds likely. Try Turner Tune or Bosch Diesel (branches of both are available locally), and ask them to check the cold resistance and draw of the glow plugs (may need the car for a week depending on how fast they can work on each cylinder since it needs to lie until dead cold after every start).

• Like 1

I'm sure these days a faulty glow plug will throw an EML because of the emissions implications of them not working pre and post starting, not 100% though.

With it being a 1.6 I would have a total stab in the dark at one or more injectors being faulty although I advise getting a diagnosis rather than firing the parts cannon at it.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies & sorry for not responding sooner. 

I think the garage used a basic " snap on " code reader which only showed a fault with the lambda sensor. 

The strange thing is ; it clears after less than a minute & runs normally thereafter. I had a similar problem with a previous skoda which was caused by a build up something on the injectors but this was easily cured with a dose of forte diesel injector cleaner. The same stuff , used twice has had no effect on this problem however.

23 hours ago, SGC said:

Hi folks.

New to this forum so please be gentle,

I have a 2018 1.6 tdi octavia which has until recently been very reliable,

The car starts in the morning { albeit reluctantly} and feels like it is running on 3 ( or sometimes 2) cylinders until it gets some heat through it , after which it runs fine.

My local independent garage diagnosed a fauly lamda sensor which was replaced but the problem still persists.

Any ideas or advice most welcome

Glow plugs would seem to be the obvious culprit. Maybe there's some carbon on the glow plugs that needs burning off?

Have you given it a good run up a hill with a car full of people? Get it good and hot and working hard for a bit.

5 minutes ago, ords said:

Is it smoking during that minute or so?

No, there is no smoke

4 minutes ago, EnterName said:

Glow plugs would seem to be the obvious culprit. Maybe there's some carbon on the glow plugs that needs burning off?

Have you given it a good run up a hill with a car full of people? Get it good and hot and working hard for a bit.

I use the car as a taxi , so is regularly full of people, luggage etc

Run a couple of tanks of Premium Diesel then from BP or Shell but if there is a Gulf filling station try the Super Diesel they have. 

When was the Air filter last looked at, and the Fuel filter replaced? 

It will maybe have it smoke a bit then maybe even then running better. 

DSCN2742.JPG.bdc9c67e7ef5b3c6a9e29866f08a0e19.jpeg.550b65037a75f9bfda7a64ae18001616.jpeg

Edited by Rooted

'Full Service' confuses me.

So as well as Oil & Filter & visual inspection was that the Air, Pollen and Fuel filters replaced, the brakes stripped and cleaned and the brake fluid changed. hinges and locks lubricated etc etc. 

Full servicing, maybe even Cam Belt replaced?