VRS Estate Aquaplaning

Evening all. 

With the lovely rain we've been having lately I've noticed my VRS Estate not being the most stable in small amounts of standing water. 

I'm not sure aquaplaning is what's happening but when driving through small amounts of standing water at speed (40+) sometimes the car feels as if it momentarily has less grip, I'm talking what's probably milliseconds but enough to notice. 

I'm never one too speed through any wet weather and if I spot standing water / puddles / see the car in front spray etc I always brake / slow down (before in the water)! But sometimes it's not possible. 

I've not really experienced it before in a car but this is my first estate car and also my first low profile tyre so my question, are these two factors more of a reason? I think I'd like to change tyre brand next time too so any recommendations for good wet weather tyres. Currently 225 40 18 Goodyear vectors.

Thanks! 

The issue is surely the tyres.

In the summer, i ride on eagle 6.

Yesterday I changed to winter tyres as they are mandatory where I live from November and yes on winter tyres, the car doesn't feel as solid on the ground at highways speeds.

I see you have all season tyres, usually they are ok for summer and ok for winter but not the best for grip.

• Groan 1

Yes, you could get the tracking done. If a way out - getting it realigned may help turn in bite improve and stability a bit. But as @nickytheshaft points out the single biggest factor is likely to be tyres. On that subject - what tread depth is left?

Not familiar with the vectors - you could have a look at some reviews - you may find it is a common complaint with the tyres  

Aquaplaning.   

It might cope with a bit of water, once in it, but hitting deeper water from a wet or dry road and not knowing how deep or the camber of the road is slow down time.

But then the OP knows that now so might well check tyre pressures, or change tyres but still need to slow down.  & no CC or ACC when there is adverse weather / road conditions.

Is it something weird to get rain or winter all the time.  

Maybe a driver who is learning or just in their first year might get caught out, but surely not experienced drivers.

Soon we get the cars steaming up, freezing inside, what windscreen wash, my locks are freezing, how do i open the filler flap threads?

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 3

On 28/10/2023 at 23:16, SkodaNewb said:

.. when driving through small amounts of standing water at speed (40+) sometimes ..

.. I'm never one too speed through any wet weather ...

Perhaps '40+' is too fast for the conditions?

It won't be because it's an estate.  My 2015 vRS estate, on 225/40/18's, never gave me any trouble with water, including once it had a significant increase in power/torque.  As has been said already, anything can aquaplane in the right conditions.

Just on a point re tyre wear.  The last CRX I had came on good brand tyres, with 5mm of tread all round.  Fine in the dry, but downright dangerous in the wet.  While they looked okay, they were actually hard as nails, and had, to all intents and purposes, simply aged and gone off.  Changed to a set of new mid-range tyres and all was well.  So tyre condition, as well as wear, could be a factor too.

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
missing wurdz
  • Like 1

Thanks all for the replies. 

I think it's most likely just a different experience than I'm used too. I've always had lighter smaller cars with much smaller Tyres so it could be that. 

Examples recently were on 60 roads, clear no rain but previous heavy rainfall had left large patches or water across the road that wasn't visible. As mentioned I drive mainly with a young family in car so I don't drive hard at all especially in rain and I'm as observant as I can be giving myself time to safely slow before hitting the unavoidable water! It's not as if I feel the car is going to lose control at all. Just it's less grip than usual whereas previously on cars I may not have noticed any difference. 

All tyres are a couple months old with plenty of tread. I read a couple reviews stating they weren't good in wet in comparison to a micheln ps4, I've then read let a LOT of VRS users using that tyre so might be my next try! 

Ps4's are expensive.

You will have the same experience with the eagle's, and for less money.

I run them on my tsi vrs and changed the front ones (that's where the eagle 3) after 55000 km. Rears are still good with lots of gripp, great in dry and wet. I Always run in large puddles to amuse my son and the car doesn't moove an inch.

I had ps4's on my Hyundai coupe V6 so I have material to compare.

I'd be double checking your tyre pressures as well. Make sure they're bob on.

Only issue with handling / stability and wet weather was lift off oversteer I used to get with the Bridgestone tyres the car came with. Since swapping to Michelins, that's never been an issue since. And I push the car.

6 hours ago, SC03OTT said:

Expensive? Are they. My quick bit of research (Blackcirles) puts them at £120. Which is about the same as GY Eagles 🤷🏻‍♂️

What???

In France the eagles are 85 euros for the 17 inches and the ps4's are 103 euros. 120 pounds is about 137 euros, this seems really overpriced 

I'm having 2 new 225/40x18 Eagle Asymmetric 6's fitted today. £108 each which is a bit more than I can get them for but I'd rather go to a place I trust to do a good job.

Pilot Sport 4's would be £124 each from the same place.

Edited by HappySam

Thanks again. Tyre pressures is a good shout I'll check that too, did recently but worth another check. 

The eagles are something I'll look into also then, I don't know if I'm lucky but I find most times I get new tyres there's a buy 2 get 5% off or similar offer on. 

I fact just checked and the ps4 are today £211 fitted for 2. Shame I don't need them right now! 

On 30/10/2023 at 06:47, nickytheshaft said:

Are these prices for the tyres or tyres+ fitting. 

The prices I gave for France are only for the tyres, fitting is about 25 euros per tyre.

Fitted.

On 30/10/2023 at 07:34, SkodaNewb said:

Thanks again. Tyre pressures is a good shout I'll check that too, did recently but worth another check. 

The eagles are something I'll look into also then, I don't know if I'm lucky but I find most times I get new tyres there's a buy 2 get 5% off or similar offer on. 

I fact just checked and the ps4 are today £211 fitted for 2. Shame I don't need them right now! 

Wow. That's very cheap.

Edited by HappySam