Columbus Map Update 2024 (MIB1/2 HIGH)

I think I've embarrassingly gotten to the root of this problem.

I started snooping around today only to notice that the Canton AMP, under the passenger seat, had its fan on and was making the exact noise I was hearing.

Will need to check more later - if this is the case I'm very happy. That said I'm wondering if the amp is starting to show its age by being so loud.

Thank you all for your help.

• Like 1

So I don't think I'm out of the woods yet. I did not mention this to the other half whatsoever only for her to ask 'What is that noise?' when I had the radio muted. 

The fan wasn't going on the amp at the time - and she described it to me as what an open AUX sounds like on a stereo. Very analogue.

The mib helper site says that upgrading the firmware on my columbus I might need a dataset as I have an external amp - albeit OEM.

On OBDEleven byte11 is set to Sound_System_External_MOST - which I believe is the correct setting for the Canton.

Anyone any suggestions? Reckon I might need someone with ODIS to load a dataset? Thanks again for your time and help.

Probably another thread for that I don't venture much away from the map ones here.  MOST is the optical / coax digital connection (think its Coax so it would be dead if not switched on... may be something else needs to be switched on ?). MOST is what they are blessed with for external amps. More likely the gain is different on the balance... I would have thought. Probably a long string you can find with a Google to examine for the 5f unit compare with what you have in Obdeleven. MOST is also used for something else but slipped my memory 🤔.

I'm never changed my firmware but have that module hack for FeCs. Stickler. The "experts" wanted me to upgrade to the fully hacked one. Resisted and somebody wrote me the module to go in the  Mib2 high toolbox. Got my module code so it went in as an option for others to follow. They hadn't catered for the firmware I was on. At that stage the last Seat mib2 firmware was problematic. 1447. Now they do home brew. It's all basically the same code between the brands. Some people put Skoda code on their Seats but ofcourse if you have different fancy Skoda external amps then they won't be in the software. Where Seat started to get Beats and Sound on the later year Cupras rather than the Seat Sound system which I'm on. Why I stuck with the firmware I had. I didn't want "carbon" which is the festooned screen effect that Cupra people love thinking it's cool. No just freckles on the background making the screen difficult to read. But I do know how to get the Cupra splash screen at ignition 🤔.

• Like 1

Trying to update from this to the latest file. Is that too much of a jump?

downloaded from portal and extracted, then transferred to a 64gb SD set to exfat. System shows no update available when card entered and update initiated in system settings. 

IMG_5893.jpeg

1 hour ago, UndertheRadar said:

Trying to update from this to the latest file. Is that too much of a jump?

downloaded from portal and extracted, then transferred to a 64gb SD set to exfat. System shows no update available when card entered and update initiated in system settings. 

IMG_5893.jpeg

You can jump as big as you like on a Skoda or VW they have life long FeCs, Seat and Audi need navigation FeC surgery. No mac involved where you should run CleanMyDrive on the drive once on the external media ?. Only the use of Macs requires that. They put dross in the files which cause the signature check to fail so it would not see the update since it failed the integrity check.

The zipped file has to be put in at the correct level. Some manage to get it one down so the system won't see it.

There have been questions about Skoda zipping. Always best to use VW files they have better QA.

You can be a devil and use the 370 release which will be June 2024. Boo boo found that. Works fine and newer cartography. You won't need that 64gb drive since it's only mib2 high. Doesn't contain the extras stuff for mib1. Just unzip and present the file. That's an Audi file so top notch.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/518018-columbus-map-update-2024-mib12-high/?do=findComment&comment=5829922

The VW manual attached which gives details on what the map file should look like on the media once unzipped for either case. Hit the relevant update that Skoda says to kick it off.

Discover_Pro_November_2020_EN.pdf

Edited by Tell
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

caught today P370_N60S5MIBH3_EU.7z and  P373_N60S5MIBH3_ROW.7z on VW server,

but their size looks incomplete - 14 of 26Gb EU and 15 of 24Gb RoW

and at unpack attempt EU got err on 72%

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

You don't think those would be mib2 only rather than covering mib 1 which Audi normally release ?. The so called Russian leak.... On mibsolution.one site and Russian web sites. 370 for that loaded up fine so I'm going to stick with what I loaded up. The RoW one for that wasn't all of the world. Just America as I recall so no good for Ozz and NZ. 370 was fine, 373 wasnt what it seemed. I have had any no issues with it and it was an update from 350 cartography.

That's linked here:

I'm hoping for 390 in Autumn following along the early production of 370. We'll see. I'm not going to try the VW link let others.

Edited by Tell

i have no motivation for deeper research -

checked jus size of folders in the VW's archive:
Mib1 - 12Gb
Mib2 - 4.6Gb

They can't get the staff these days 😂. Once there is a version that does unzip and it's a similar size then a check on that Audi version with this one would be good. May be they have pulled support on the mib1 side so you don't get the combined release. As we know they "incorrectly" label the two folders so mib2 material is in the mib1 folder, so the mib2 only release includes files in the mib1 directory.

Just did a check on that leaked release verses your two files sizes, they tally so I reckon you are looking at the mib2 high release only there. VW pulling support on the mib1 high part of the traditional combined release.

Do you want to give the link of your found one and I'll have a go at unzipping it. If it does unzip a cross check.

On 25/05/2024 at 15:17, MartiniB said:

Downloaded same EU file and unpack went 100% so finished OK (https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/P370_N60S5MIBH3_EU.7z).

Zip file 13.8 Gb and unpacked 16.5 Gb and looks OK and seem to remember last update was also that much smaller than previous ones for the first time?

No time to try update in car right now unfortunately.

Regards, Louis.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, ForeeL said:

Downloaded same EU file and unpack went 100% so finished OK (https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/P370_N60S5MIBH3_EU.7z).

Zip file 13.8 Gb and unpacked 16.5 Gb and looks OK and seem to remember last update was also that much smaller than previous ones for the first time?

Regards, Louis.

The Audi leaked 370 Mib2 high only one had a similar size.

Applying the scientific method here 🤫. The VW link unzipped fine using this link

https://vw-maps-cdn.lighthouselabs.eu/vw-maps/P370_N60S5MIBH3_EU.7z

I took MartiniB's first one editing 370 in.

VW unzipped:

image.png.e27b1ef23332f37584ec62a0a0041121.png

Audi unzipped total with the Russian additional files removed:

image.png.a6a041362f4e9f898644718b22343fa4.png

It's grown from the Audi release. Given the Audi one was signed and loaded up fine our Russian comrades could not have fiddled with the directories so it's a new regenerated release. Doing a spot check on the file dates the Audi release shows 22/02/23. These 14/07/23 that’s found in

\Mib1\NavDB\Ukraine_eu\0\default

Thus, these have been re-run. I may be tempted to load it in the car tomorrow. I had found no issues with the "beta" 370.

The SWDL option I use tells you whether it's a healthy files before it starts, so that will be interesting. Not using that menu it would not start due to failing that health check. SWDL just gives you a view on the component parts of the update. So yes feel free to use. On paper it would be a more up-to-date file. I used 7 zip.

Edited by Tell

17 hours ago, ForeeL said:

Regards, Louis.

Update:

Worked fine and now EU version 2024/2025 in my Columbus of 2020 Kodiaq.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Haven't tried it yet but looking at the differences between the Audi version and the VW one in the files. Seemed that the cartography of the roads would be the same but the POIs may be different, like improved. There are entities of the files. I've never got down to the bottom of 'Eggnog'. Voice files are the same. Each of the entities has a version release so you can see via SWDL what you have against what's in the update. Each can be updated separately so it will be interesting to see whether the entities have the same release code, thats if they are faithfully retained. If so that would mean on paper the Audi 370 mib2 high only release was identical to the VW one.

That will be a clue as to what has been changed. So I get the feeling the roads will be identical between releases the overlap GIS information may not be.

• Like 1

OK it tells me there is no work to do. That is to say each of the entities in the previous 370 release are the same as this. That's to say the VW mib2 high only release is the same as the earlier Audi 370 one.

20240527_140558.thumb.jpg.8e46f7d84ee61eb521615d0af9958805.jpg

The N means it's the same release. I took the easy option of not forcing a reload.

What I did find from the spot check of the files is that some had additional signature / meta checksums in which explained the increase in file size. Thus to me they are just prepared differently but from the same release material.

Either 370 zipped release works from above.

I'll have a look at RoW because before the Audi release to me it didn't include NZ / Australia, seemed lacking in those two area. I won't load it in the car thou. I'm not going to change to RoW FeCs but it is easy enough to do with the "Mr MIBonks" tool kit. One Skoda guy on the board did that once after updating to AIO in Australia but it installed EU FeC as the end. Needed it tinkering.

https://github.com/Mr-MIBonk/M.I.B._More-Incredible-Bash

And lastly @MartiniB I installed over the Audi release, you have to use SWDL manual download, start and select all and start to do that.

Result success screen:

20240529_154646.thumb.jpg.d2a834a12ba06134a1d974b8ed724ddd.jpg

Ofcourse if you were on 350 you'd install as you normally do. Since I already had 370 installed and it had said, yes you got it, for the hell of it and to respond to a question about whether 3D mapping was still in it, yes it is. Failed comparison someone had done between the combined normal mib1/2 high files as the mib2 high only one.

So yes I reckon you can make a new thread.

Edited by Tell
  • Like 1

Hello,

I just installed P370 for my VW using MIB1 infotainement. Previously I was running P350. I have an issue with the navigation, the viewing distance is too far and I cannot see the streets. It says that the ratio is 40km, but the streets are shown correctly in the top left corner of the infotainement, I just can't zoom in. Tried every option in the nav settings, like view 2d,3d, etc. Does anybody know by any chance what is the issue with it?

15 hours ago, Nikola1985 said:

Hello,

I just installed P370 for my VW using MIB1 infotainement. Previously I was running P350. I have an issue with the navigation, the viewing distance is too far and I cannot see the streets. It says that the ratio is 40km, but the streets are shown correctly in the top left corner of the infotainement, I just can't zoom in. Tried every option in the nav settings, like view 2d,3d, etc. Does anybody know by any chance what is the issue with it?

You want it on auto zoom. You have probably toggled it off or it's come up that way. Auto zoom is when a box is drawn around the button that shows in your case metrics or imperial in the UK.

This is the Seat version of the mib2 layout. In this case you see 100yd with that ruler marking. Tap that box. It causes auto zoom to go on. Box round it, its in, no box it's off.

Reckon that's it. Auto zoom and it should work fine. I've been using the Audi version of 370 for several months. My real test is Tuesday. But I reckon that's your issue.

Normally. Set destination then tap to auto zoom. I always use 3D and the split screen on. Off in this photo.

Hmm think you meant mib2 BTW. Not sure what would happen if you managed to load this file onto a mib1 high unit. You'd expect it to reject it. If that's the issue you'd have to use SWDL to force the old 350 into the unit.

BTW you don't need to drive around to test auto zoom. You can put the unit into demo mode, under advanced setting or similar name. Select a destination and it will start a demonstration mock drive if it's a mib2 high atleast. It should do the zooms.

20240529_145518.thumb.jpg.61a8c0036606eb6eb47371d61a934682.jpg

Edited by Tell