280 4x4 wheels and tyres

Hi all. I’m shortly picking up a new 280 4x4 estate and (first world problem) I don’t like the standard ‘Propus Aero’ 18 inch wheels. So I’m sourcing some 19 inch ‘Canopus’ wheels for it. I have to buy tyres and wondered what the OE spec 19s come with - I think they’re Bridgestone S001. Does anyone have experience of these as they’re similar money to Michelin PS4, which I have on a BMW E39 and quite like. I guess a speed rating of W is fine if these cars are limited to 155mph. Not planning on venturing to an autobahn any time soon…

Apologies if I’m posting in the wrong sub-forum.

Mine came with Bridgestones from new on 19" rims. Since then I have had PS4s which were  also OK - but I don't drive like a madman so unlikely I have found the edge of their perfomance.

Currently running Uniroyal Rainsports which I rather like, they seem quiet and grippy but as I said, I'm nowhere near the ragged edge of performance anyway.

Another thing to consider is 235/40/19s are not a very common size and often limited in choice or need to be ordered in by fitters.

• Like 1

The factory 19s (19x8) on the Superb r equipped with 235/40/19 tyres.

Mine came with Pirelli P7 Centuro tyres.  They weren't bad.

As already mentioned in the post earlier - they're not a cheap size, nor as readily available.

A few of us have switched to 245/40/19 tyres.  It's more comfortable, cheaper, and easier to source.

I'm now running ContiMaxContact tyres.

Screenshot_20230507-145113.thumb.png.63edb1299fa22e2878cb8c8f0765cdea.png

• Like 1

Well after ordering a set of 19s from Parks and paying for them, then ordering tyres from Oponeo, the order was later cancelled by Parks because the wheels aren’t available, despite what their web store says. Apparently no other 19 inch wheels are actually available in the UK and they can’t say when any will be available- so it looks like I’ll be stuck with the 18 inch Propus Aero wheels for a while….

Interesting that they dropped the standard size from 19” to 18”. But I agree, the Propus Aero wheels are ghastly and impossible to clean the inner rim too, so why don’t you change them for another 18” wheel in the range? 
However, the performance will be the same as the 19” and the 18” tyres will be quieter due to the deeper sidewall and cheaper to replace too. 
And it seems you’re not the only one complaining about the Propus wheels on their Skoda… see here. 

6 hours ago, numskull said:

Interesting that they dropped the standard size from 19” to 18”. But I agree, the Propus Aero wheels are ghastly and impossible to clean the inner rim too, so why don’t you change them for another 18” wheel in the range? 
However, the performance will be the same as the 19” and the 18” tyres will be quieter due to the deeper sidewall and cheaper to replace too. 
And it seems you’re not the only one complaining about the Propus wheels on their Skoda… see here. 

Good point about changing for another set of 18s but if I’m going to the expense of new wheels I’d rather have 19s. Really like the Trinity 19s but Vega or Canopus would do. Given this car is being replaced by Skoda in ‘24 I wonder if they will bring 19s back into stock at all. Don’t think the likes of Oettinger or ABT do anything in 19 inch for these do they? 

Yes, Propus Aero are hideous. But, first world problems and all that.

There is an rims accessories catalogue, should be available from parts Dept

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/639a0118-4da5-446b-a786-86e1f789b57b

As for tyres, rather depends on what you want, something raw and sporty, or something bit more comfortable for your passengers (and if you don't have passengers why did you buy such a big car)

Then there is season, do you want them all year (choose all season), or do you want to be able to throw it around country roads in both summer and winter, in which case need sport summer tyres, and set of sporty winter tyres.  Remember European winter tyres are designed for cold rain and occasional snow (anything below about +15c), don't confuse them with snow (Nordic) spec tyres.

At this time of year for 18s, (235/45 R18) can I suggest any of

Continental winter contact 870P

Goodyear Ultragrip performance 3

Michelin pilot Alpin 5

Pirelli winter Soto zero 3

If you are a keep same tyres all year person, then perhaps :

Continental all seasons contact 2

Goodyear vector 4 Seasons Gen 3

Hankook kinergy 4S2 H750

Michelin cross climate 2

Pirelli Cinturato all season SF2

Vredestein Quatrac pro +

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

There is an rims accessories catalogue, should be available from parts Dept

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/639a0118-4da5-446b-a786-86e1f789b57b

As for tyres, rather depends on what you want, something raw and sporty, or something bit more comfortable for your passengers (and if you don't have passengers why did you buy such a big car)

Then there is season, do you want them all year (choose all season), or do you want to be able to throw it around country roads in both summer and winter, in which case need sport summer tyres, and set of sporty winter tyres.  Remember European winter tyres are designed for cold rain and occasional snow (anything below about +15c), don't confuse them with snow (Nordic) spec tyres.

At this time of year for 18s, (235/45 R18) can I suggest any of

Continental winter contact 870P

Goodyear Ultragrip performance 3

Michelin pilot Alpin 5

Pirelli winter Soto zero 3

If you are a keep same tyres all year person, then perhaps :

Continental all seasons contact 2

Goodyear vector 4 Seasons Gen 3

Hankook kinergy 4S2 H750

Michelin cross climate 2

Pirelli Cinturato all season SF2

Vredestein Quatrac pro +

thanks - I won’t be chucking it around in corners too much - have another car for that purpose and the kids won’t appreciate being thrown about in the back! A decent set of all year round tyres will suffice for my needs.

Sadly having checked with Skoda, they have none of the 19 inch rims listed in their accessory catalogue actually available. They can’t say when / if they will be.

Seriously what were they thinking with the Propus Aero. Looks like a wheel trim covering a steel rim. 

IMG_8941.jpeg

Edited by Tibbadog
Awful spelling

3 hours ago, Tibbadog said:

Really like the Trinity 19s

Look is fine, but cleaning is boring, especially if you want to wax them...

I'm glad when I put mines on as summer wheels at spring, but I hate when I get them off at fall adn time has come to clean and wax them before storing.

I don't like Propus Aero for same reason as you. But fuel saving seems to become a key design driver nowadays. And it's now becoming nuts when I see latest Skoda model with alloy wheel + plastic covers clipped on to lower aero drag and thus save fuel... It's awful and a complete nonsense. Why not coming back to simple steel wheels, then weight saving on rotating mass would improve engine time response and help saving fuel...

As we say in France: "We're walking on the head"...

Vorspung Durch Technik.

VW Group did exactly that and went back for the future and have Steel Wheels with trims on fitted to EV,s.  

Simply clever. 

They even put tyres on them that i would not use to go Banger Racing.

DSCN0824.JPG.5adb6c800963d0f5577df9ca18f98529.jpeg.f9bb213a586c9b8c5f6cd01594cce21a.jpeg.a24aa42568b6d27b2e24d94c36b14ee0.jpeg

Edited by Rooted

13 hours ago, Bap33 said:

Look is fine, but cleaning is boring, especially if you want to wax them...

I'm glad when I put mines on as summer wheels at spring, but I hate when I get them off at fall adn time has come to clean and wax them before storing.

I don't like Propus Aero for same reason as you. But fuel saving seems to become a key design driver nowadays. And it's now becoming nuts when I see latest Skoda model with alloy wheel + plastic covers clipped on to lower aero drag and thus save fuel... It's awful and a complete nonsense. Why not coming back to simple steel wheels, then weight saving on rotating mass would improve engine time response and help saving fuel...

As we say in France: "We're walking on the head"...

The aero wheels do actually help EV range which is why you see many EVs with wheels like that. 

They do look a bit daft but I reckon once it's commonplace...Nobody will care anymore lol. 

I would say that 18s are the sweet spot of ride, handling, road noise and looks on the superb. I have 17s fitted with Cross climates and 19s with the S001, I think they are pretty much a 10 year old design now. The S001 are so so noisy compared to the 17s inch cross climates, it's like a totally different car when I swap them over. On back lanes covered with mud and leaves in low temperatures the 280 does a good rally car impression on 17 inch wheels and all season rubber, it's fantastic. There is a small trade off with the grip levels on a warm dry day but one I'm happy to pay....I'm not sure I've driven on a dry road in the last 6 weeks. 

If I was going to run one set of wheels all year I'd probably go for 18s with a decent all season. I like the cross climate and also recently fitted Goodyear vector 4 seasons to my wife's car and they are excellent as well. I've always quite liked the Antares 18 inch wheels. My 19s are actually off a Karoq, they look great but there is a trade off in every other way. 

1000002718.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve secured a set of new 19 inch Vega wheels for it, so the 18 inch Propus Aero with Continental Sport Contact 6 tyres will be up for sale. All virtually new from an ‘73 plate L&K and have done less than 1200 miles - these may be of use if you want a spare set or winter wheels and can use a set of nearly new tyres. I can’t post in the for sale section, so hope it’s ok to mention it here. I expect they will go on eBay once new ones fitted. Wheels identical to those pictured.

IMG_8941.jpeg

Edited by Tibbadog

Whats the story on fitting other skoda (or even audi & vw ) wheels to mk3 superbs?

I've got a 280 estate and i would like to have a spare set of wheels for winter.

Do 20inch wheels from the Kodiaq say, fit straight on without having to use spigot rings or spacers?

5 hours ago, Bigeater said:

Whats the story on fitting other skoda (or even audi & vw ) wheels to mk3 superbs?

I've got a 280 estate and i would like to have a spare set of wheels for winter.

Do 20inch wheels from the Kodiaq say, fit straight on without having to use spigot rings or spacers?

You could use 20" alloy rims from the Kodiaq, perhaps with 245/35R20 tyres. The offset is 3mm less than the standard 19" rims. There's no need for spacers or spigots.

The XL eXtra Load index of the 245/35R20 tyre size is 95 (690kg), which is enough to support the gross axle weights of the Superb MK3. The XL eXtra Load index of the standard 235/40R19 is 96 (710kg), so you could use the same tyre pressures as that tyre size (or just add 1psi to the 235/40R19 tyre pressures when using the 245/35R20 tyre size).

It's best not to use the smaller 235/35R20 tyre size because the load index is less than the standard Superb MK3 tyre sizes. The slightly bigger 245/35R20 tyre size would give a little more protection from potholes and kerbing damage due to being slightly wider and having slightly more sidewall height. You might think that the 245/35R20 is 10mm wider than 235/35R20 tyre size, but when both are fitted to an 8J rim the 245/35R20 is only 7mm wider than 235/35R20. This is because the actual inflated width of a tyre always depends on the width of the rim to which it is fitted. The 245/35R20 tyre size has 3.5mm more sidewall height than 235/35R20.

As you can see in the chart below, ETRTO approves the fitment of a 245/35R20 to an 8J rim width.

ETRTO approved rim widths

245/35R20 8.0-8.5-9.5

Uniroyal RainSport 5 245/35R20 95Y XL (Euro label D A 72dB)

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m63b0s339p188353/Uniroyal_Tyres_Car_Uniroyal_RainSport_5_245_35_R20_95Y_XL_FR_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_D_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_72dB

8Jx20 ET41 5/112 57.1 alloy rims (from Kodiaq)

Alu kolo XTREME 20" Kodiaq

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/alu-kola/c/alloyWheels?sort=priceAsc&q=%3AscoreDesc%3AcarType%3AKodiaq%2B%282016%2B%29%3ArimDiameter%3A20%22#

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1