If you were to hire a GT car for an 'Occasion' what would you get and why?

SteveTheElder

I quite fancy hiring a Grand Tourer car for an 'Occasion' next year, keen to get ideas and a better understanding of what makes an ideal GT car.

There are many out there I'm sure, but I must admit to being easily get confused by what is a GT car and what's a Sports car - I don't want a bold, brash machine with a hard ride, rather something more elegant with an effortless, pliant waft through the countryside. Guessing that points me in the direction of a Bentley Continental or something of that ilk, but they seem a bit OTT to me. Something iconic appeals too, so maybe not Audi, or Mercedes. Oh, and I'm just shy of 2m tall so nothing tiny or I won't fit 🤣

I think of Ferrari, Aston Martin, and Porsche as sports cars, but are there some models that fit the GT mould?

As you can see, I'm in that odd position of knowing what I want without actually knowing what I want!

• Like 1

Having just acquired a Jaguar F Type I think I have entered the arena of the GT owner (?) I've had the odd sports car, but mostly hot hatches and some silly saloons and coupes. The Jag doesn't really count as a Sports car in my eyes in either convertible or couple form. It is sprung quite firmly ("taught" might be a good description), although not as crashy as my previous M3, at least at low speeds, it is certainly quite quick, with the best part of 600hp allegedly under the bonnet and it can make quite a nice noise (it's half the reason for getting it :D ). But it is slightly impractical, compromised, beautiful to look at (in my eyes) and cruises effortlessly (top gear is stratospheric, so much so it can average 30mpg as 70 mph without problem). It is also quite heavy, but all cars seem to be these days and having a rather large supercharged engine and a 4x4 drive train doesn't help. 

I've often read the F type is the poor man's (and woman's :) ) Aston and in many ways this is probably true. If you can hire one - either the R (575ps) or R-Dynamic (450ps), but not the 300ps version - then I think you won't be disappointed. Great for cruising and they make a great noise under load once the needle passes around 3.5k :) The boot size is quoted at different volumes depending on what you read, but I can pack a very large suitcase and several squishy bags in it, but be aware, there is very little storage space in the cabin. It also has a 70 litre tank so if you keep your speed reasonable and don't drive too much in town, there is reasonable range to be had :) 

I shamelessly posted a link to some photos I took recently on Brisky, but here it is again in case you missed it  https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjB7fC8

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

Having just acquired a Jaguar F Type I think I have entered the arena of the GT owner (?) I've had the odd sports car, but mostly hot hatches and some silly saloons and coupes. The Jag doesn't really count as a Sports car in my eyes in either convertible or couple form. It is sprung quite firmly ("taught" might be a good description), although not as crashy as my previous M3, at least at low speeds, it is certainly quite quick, with the best part of 600hp allegedly under the bonnet and it has makes quite a nice noise (it's half the reason for getting it :D ). But it is slightly impractical, compromised, beautiful to look at (in my eyes) and cruises effortlessly (top gear is stratospheric, so much so it can average 30mpg as 70 mph without problem). It is also quite heavy, but all cars seem to be these days and having a rather large supercharged engine and a 4x4 drive train doesn't help. 

I've often read the F type is the poor man's (and woman's :) ) Aston and in many ways this is probably true. If you can hire one - either the R (575ps) or R-Dynamic (450ps), but not the 300ps version - then I think you won't be disappointed. Great for cruising and they make a great noise under load once the needle passes around 3.5k :) The boot is quoted at different amounts depending on what you read, but I can pack a very large suitcase and several squishy bags in it, but be aware, there is very little storage space in the cabin. It also has a 70 litre tank so if you keep your speed reasonable and don't drive too much in town, there is reasonable range to be had :) 

I shamelessly posted a link to some photos I took recently on Brisky, but here it is again in case you missed it  https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjB7fC8

Thank you. I’d thought of the f type as a sports car but with the ride a little more pliant than an M3 it’s a good call. As you say, they look good.

Thank you, I’ll check ‘em out.

16 hours ago, SteveTheElder said:

Thank you. I’d thought of the f type as a sports car but with the ride a little more pliant than an M3 it’s a good call. As you say, they look good.

Thank you, I’ll check ‘em out.

Henry Catchpole did a review on one and I think he is quite tall, probably somewhere around your height. He seemed to fit in OK

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

Henry Catchpole did a review on one and I think he is quite tall, probably somewhere around your height. He seemed to fit in OK

He's a tad under 6'5" - like me 😁 (Although I was 6'5" 25 years ago, just not now).

I was going to suggest an F Type.  Thinking about Harry, his Project 7 (or 8 ) might be interesting.  Not exactly wafters though.

I used to hanker for a 928 S4 GTS, but the last time I drove a 928, the soundtrack was very 'waftable', but I realised I'd gotten over the hankering.

What about a classic Rolls?

Gaz

• Like 1

in my mind a GT car is -

big enough for passenger comfort and luggage. a lovely interior to be in while driving and aesthetically pleasing on the outside (for the commoners to admire :D )

quick and loud when wanted but effortless quiet cruising for the bulk of the journey. you shoukd be able to drive it 500miles and still be able to stand up without grimmacing when you get out.

the F Type is definitely a GT.

Aston Martin DB9 def GT, where as i think the DB11 crossed too much into sporty looking.

@Aspman can say what a Quatraporte is like, but it  is also imo a GT car.

a old Rolls isnt a GT, i dont think, more a mobile sitting room.

an SLR could be a nice GT car, but i dunno is it too persistently loud for a long cruise? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. 

Now you mention it, I recall an old Top Gear item on the DB9 bemoaning it too soft compared to later ones (or something along those lines). 

My thinking is evolving, quite fancy a V8 and am warming to the idea of a classic rather than more modern. A big old Daimler maybe, though also closer to the mobile sitting room perhaps.

For looks, a Triumph Stag could fit the bill but not convinced for long drives.

Quatraporte is a good shout; think there is a place nearby with those.

• Like 1

If going for "new" cars then I agree the F-type would fit, if you would rather go for a bit more comfort, then its longer old brother the XK would fit. Very comfy, room for even tall ones, lots of space in the boot for suitcases:thumbup: Most comfort was probably the convertable as it runs softer springs (though a bit less relaxed on the engine side with 500bhp!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1