Fabia III accelerates/maintains speed on its own after releasing the accelerator pedal

Nix2

Hello

I have a small problem with Fabia III 1.0 TSI/95KM (2019, 160,000 km).

What happens is that after releasing the gas, the engine/controller itself raises the speed and keeps it at about 1200 rpm (of course, I will repeat that with the gas pedal fully released). When driving normally, quite dynamically, you may not notice it and it doesn't bother you much, but in gentle eco-driving, when you are approaching an intersection, the car DOES NOT slow down after a certain level and maintains the speed, you have to either put it in neutral or use the brake, it can be uncomfortable/troublesome.

This happens in every gear, for example in gear no. 3 the car itself, without gas, maintains a speed of about 31 km/h (and then has about 1200 rpm). I've had the car for about a month and it started behaving like this right away, is it normal for this engine?

Apart from that, the car is in very good condition, fully operational, drives well, accelerates, etc. The Check light is not on and it consumes "normal" amounts of fuel.

Regards

A 2019 Fabia Mk3 1.0 TSI, 90 owner may be able to give you a direct succinct answer but sorry that's not me in either owner or reply. 

A bit more information may be required, does your car have a Gasoline Particle Filter, which gearbox does it have, when does this happen before the engine fully warms up (oil temperature) or after, have you got a lot of electrical load on at the time (heaters, blower, air-con), what is the state of battery charge, are you driving it too slow for gears or road conditions.

Have you put any car settings that might influence this.  Have a read of your Owner's Manual for your car to see what might apply. -https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Models 

If you bought it from a Skoda Dealer or other garage you could go back and ask them.

100,000 miles is higher than normal (sometimes a very good thing)  for a four year old car so do you have full servicing, maintenance and repairs history for the car and know when and what servicing, maintenance and repairs were most recently.  Did you or the seller use a VW appropriate scan tool to check for error codes before or just after the bought the car.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, nta16 said:

...A bit more information may be required, does your car have a Gasoline Particle Filter, which gearbox does it have, when does this happen before the engine fully warms up (oil temperature) or after, have you got a lot of electrical load on at the time (heaters, blower, air-con), what is the state of battery charge, are you driving it too slow for gears or road conditions.

-Gasoline Particle Filter- I don't know for sure whether the 1.0 TSI/95 HP version has GFP, but it probably does.

-Gearbox 5 gears

-This always happens, regardless of the engine temperature, both immediately after starting (temp < 50 degrees) and after warming up (temp = 90 degrees), regardless of the car's load - the same when there is only the driver, the same with a full set of passengers . It does not matter whether any power receivers are turned on (and all power receivers function ok). The battery is in good condition (the Start-Stop system works well), charging also works properly.

-The issue of whether I am driving with too low engine speeds is irrelevant here, because the issue concerns the car rolling AFTER I fully release the gas pedal. I will write graphically once again: I am driving in gear no. 3 on a smooth road, at a constant speed of 55 km/h (about 1900 rpm), I take my foot off the gas pedal, the car starts to slow down normally and within a dozen or so seconds the speed drops to about 31 km/h (about 1200 rpm. ) and so it is spontaneously maintained for any length of time. I rode like this as a test for about 2000m. The car also maintains a constant speed when going slightly uphill.

Have you put any car settings that might influence this. 

I did not make any corrections to the car, although I have VCDS and scanned the car for errors, there were no errors. Of course, I read the manual, but there is nothing about it... the car was bought used.

I have the history of the car (previous owner - company, it was driven by a sales representative) but most of the entries are strictly service activities, changing oil, brake discs, brake shoes, spark plugs, etc. There is no trace of any mechanical/engine failure... The car is serviced every 15,000 km.

Regards

1 hour ago, nta16 said:

• Thanks 1

To summarise (repeat) for others as I'm out of ideas (as usual).

2019, Fabia Mk3 1.0 TSI, 90, 5 speed, 160,000 km 100,000 miles, sales rep company car previously, serviced as such (every 15,000 km).

33 minutes ago, Nix2 said:

I am driving in gear no. 3 on a smooth road, at a constant speed of 55 km/h (about 1900 rpm), I take my foot off the gas pedal, the car starts to slow down normally and within a dozen or so seconds the speed drops to about 31 km/h (about 1200 rpm. ) and so it is spontaneously maintained for any length of time. I rode like this as a test for about 2000m. The car also maintains a constant speed when going slightly uphill.

I did not make any corrections to the car, although I have VCDS and scanned the car for errors, there were no errors. Of course, I read the manual, but there is nothing about it... 

1 minute ago, skomaz said:

Stupid question but does your car have cruise control and is it set? 

Sorry you posted whilst I was typing, see my previous post with quote that might( ?) cover/answer your question.  I think, but can't remember or don't know as I avoid such stuff, cc only starts at a speed above 31kph but I've no idea of the passenger behind the steering wheel active version.

Apologies if I'm wrong with any or all of this.

of course, it's not a matter of cruise control or speed limiter:P The car is in the Active version (Polish version) and has a working speed limiter, but that's not it...

Sorry my last comments were for skomaz, by "passenger behind the steering wheel active version" I meant the active cruise control, or whatever it is called, that keeps your car a certain distance behind the car in front of you and adjust the speed of your car as required to maintain this.  I had no idea that there is/was a model called Active if that's what you meant.

I forgot to mention in my previous post the possibility of any outstanding updates to the computer programs or outstanding Recalls for anything that VWSkoda are actually admitting to.  Recalls - https://www.skoda-auto.com/services/recall-campaigns

Again I am out of ideas.

I checked and there is no recall for my Fabia...

I also have no idea what could be wrong with the car wanting to drive "on its own", because the fact that the car is moving in gear no. 1 (without pressing the accelerator pedal) is rather normal, but this thing runs in all gears, does not slow down, and gear no. 5 maintains approximately 55 km/h continuously...

Exactly what it looks like is that (after releasing the gas pedal) the rotational speed drops to approximately 1100-1150rpm and then a slight "throttling" of the engine is felt, but within a fraction of a second the controller "boosts" the revs and continues to maintain a stable speed of approximately 1200rpm.

I can record and post a video of what it looks like on the tachometer and speedometer.

In that case probably not what I was thinking your fault might be - my wife's 1.0 TSI tends to do this in first gear after a cold start, but ceases after about 100 metres - needs braking to keep speed down initially in first gear. I believe it's some sort of anti-stall, but is a lot more noticeable than my 1.4.  

1 hour ago, Nix2 said:

Exactly what it looks like is that (after releasing the gas pedal) the rotational speed drops to approximately 1100-1150rpm and then a slight "throttling" of the engine is felt, but within a fraction of a second the controller "boosts" the revs and continues to maintain a stable speed of approximately 1200rpm.

I can record and post a video of what it looks like on the tachometer and speedometer.

That sounds very much like the anti stall feature these engines have... 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, skomaz said:

That sounds very much like the anti stall feature these engines have... 

Yes, but it's annoying, because when driving in eco mode (lots of engine braking), you have to use the brake...

Try switching back to another drive mode to see if this behaviour changes.

If it is the anti-stall cutting in, it sounds to me as if something is not quite right in the way it's working - especially in the higher gears.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

Try switching back to another drive mode to see if this behaviour changes.

If it is the anti-stall cutting in, it sounds to me as if something is not quite right in the way it's working - especially in the higher gears.

I accidentally misled you - it's not about switching to eco mode (this Fabia doesn't have any driving modes) but about eco-driving itself, because that's when this condition becomes particularly noticeable.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello! I don't know if this could be considered a "refloat" because the post has no activity since December but well....

I just wanted to comment that my Montecarlo 1.0 TSI 110 also does similar things to me. It has happened to me to be going down a mountain road in 2 or 3 gear, without accelerating, having the current consumption in 0.0 and see how suddenly it gets between 1.8 or 2.2.

The car accelerates by itself. And if I touch the accelerator a little, it takes off and returns to 0.0 consumption and use the engine brake again.

Handy if people say if they are talking about manuals or DSG,s.

DSG,s 'Coasting' are very efficient.    Many many vehicles 2 or 3 pedals going downhill or coasting will show 200 MPG.  Pity you are not going 200 miles downhill. 

14 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Handy if people say if they are talking about manuals or DSG,s.

DSG,s 'Coasting' are very efficient.    Many many vehicles 2 or 3 pedals going downhill or coasting will show 200 MPG.  Pity you are not going 200 miles downhill. 

Sorry, it's habit. Here almost all cars are manual (or at least were).

My Fabia is a 6-speed manual transmission. And you can tell it is accelerating on its own because the exhaust sound changes 😂

This is one of those things I have on my list to take it to the dealer before the warranty runs out (I still have 1 year left).

1 hour ago, UbayGD said:

This is one of those things I have on my list to take it to the dealer before the warranty runs out (I still have 1 year left).

See previous posts in the thread but I'm sure I would have put about checking with the dealership for any Recalls (that VW admit to) and if there are any updates.

With all the computers and their programing I'm not surprised that the computer programs can have the car drive it differently than a driver, that can be is often beneficial but perhaps sometimes (very many times for me) not so good and/or annoying.  Modern cars are designed to be driven less by the driver which can be both good and bad.

If there is a fault you certainly want it sorted before the warranty runs out but IF it is a fault VW (or other manufacturers) might not want to admit it or be bothered to sort it - that's IF it's a fault, I've no idea.  Such modern cars are not for me, driving my neighbour's 2023 car with computer systems taking over (and failing to do it well) annoys me too much already.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I haven't been on the thread for a long time, but during these 3 months someone else was driving a Fabia and noticed something that probably changes the matter...

Well, now what is definitely happening is that the idle speed simply NEVER goes down to the factory setting (approx. 800 rpm) and they stay at the level of 1000-1200rpm, which is why the car "accelerates itself"... I wrote earlier that the idle speed drops to the factory value, but this is not the case (I was wrong in previous posts). The idle speed is too high and it always happens, regardless of the engine temperature (which heats up quickly).

Where to look for the cause in such a case?

Regards