Karoq Service

Mikeevans

Hi

My 1.5tsi Skoda is coming up for its 4th year service, I was wondering what the cost should be for this from a main dealership?

I have just been quoted £562 for a service which to me seems ridiculous but this did include spark plugs. 

Dealer price for spark plugs on 1.5tsi are around £100, so that's quite a chunk, but £562 still seems high. Oil change/inspection plus new pollen filter would be c.£220 taking you to around £330. Do you have a DSG gearbox - if so the price for its oil change is c.£200 on top. If you have a manual gearbox, then I'd ask the dealer to break down the figure quoted.

national-price-servicing-min.pdf

• Confused 1

Get yourself this plan and save a small fortune

https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/all-in-service-plan

2 x services (fixed or variable your choice)

2 x MOT

2 year Skoda warranty

2 year breakdown cover

£37.50 per month (£900 over 24 months)

You can take the first service straight away after signing up. Includes spark plugs etc if scheduled.

Bargain even though you missed the 20% off offer in November.

Edited by xman

@VRT24  If a FWD Karoq then the DQ200 has no service schedule.

If an AWD then the DQ381 schedule is at 80,000 miles bit people might want it sooner, and that is a fair bit more than £200.

There would be the Haldex as well at 3 year / 30,000 mile intervals. 

PS

That Fixed Price chart is from 2020. 

& this one from 2021 and does not reflect the costs in 2024 

1168293554_37335614_Screenshot2021-09-14at07_38_18(3).webp.ee5b8a609f78b3b2f42441d7532010fa.webp.a26bf2e0903cb4f1cafb05300ee43d04.webp

Edited by Rooted

2 hours ago, xman said:

Get yourself this plan and save a small fortune

https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/all-in-service-plan

2 x services (fixed or variable your choice)

2 x MOT

2 year Skoda warranty

2 year breakdown cover

£37.50 per month (£900 over 24 months)

You can take the first service straight away after signing up. Includes spark plugs etc if scheduled.

Bargain even though you missed the 20% off offer in November.

I was offered that service plan however we’d not had the car long and it came with the warranty and breakdown cover. Tried negotiating an alternate arrangement with the dealer but no-go so passed on it

Rooted table of service charges only apply if the dealer agrees to belong to the Skoda scheme. It is not mandatory.

The Skoda main dealer in Carlisle opts out and charges more for servicing as they claim it would not be profitable to levy Skoda's charges,

10 hours ago, Mikeevans said:

Hi

My 1.5tsi Skoda is coming up for its 4th year service, I was wondering what the cost should be for this from a main dealership?

I have just been quoted £562 for a service which to me seems ridiculous but this did include spark plugs. 

That does seem high - wonder if they've included a/c service, which some dealers will say is "mandatory every 2yrs".

Including the cost of that (maybe £179?) and the quote is about right.    Did you ask the dealer how they arrived at that price?

Mind you, I didn't know All In was £37.50/mth now - thought it was £30.  All In doesn't inclue the a/c service (becuase it doesn't really need doing).

2 minutes ago, Rory said:

Mind you, I didn't know All In was £37.50/mth now - thought it was £30.  All In doesn't inclue the a/c service (becuase it doesn't really need doing).

Indeed it has gone up a lot. I renewed 2nd time around in Nov while on Black Friday special at £26.25 per month (when it was £30 less 20% more or less) .

4 hours ago, VRT24 said:

Dealer price for spark plugs on 1.5tsi are around £100, so that's quite a chunk, but £562 still seems high. Oil change/inspection plus new pollen filter would be c.£220 taking you to around £330. Do you have a DSG gearbox - if so the price for its oil change is c.£200 on top. If you have a manual gearbox, then I'd ask the dealer to break down the figure quoted.

national-price-servicing-min.pdf 2.12 MB · 2 downloads

Hi

Thanks You for your reply, this was 4th year service which included oil inspection/ pollen filter, spark plugs and air filter. It's a manual gearbox as well. 

3 hours ago, Rooted said:

@VRT24  If a FWD Karoq then the DQ200 has no service schedule.

If an AWD then the DQ381 schedule is at 80,000 miles bit people might want it sooner, and that is a fair bit more than £200.

There would be the Haldex as well at 3 year / 30,000 mile intervals. 

PS

That Fixed Price chart is from 2020. 

& this one from 2021 and does not reflect the costs in 2024 

1168293554_37335614_Screenshot2021-09-14at07_38_18(3).webp.ee5b8a609f78b3b2f42441d7532010fa.webp.a26bf2e0903cb4f1cafb05300ee43d04.webp

This was for 1.5 tsi manual front wheel drive. It was 4 year service, the women quoted me saying it was for a service and pollen filter at first at £345 but she quoted me wrong because she didn't include spark plus and air filter. So I'm guessing spark plugs and air filter cost addition £217 which again seem ridiculous. 

@Mikeevans  She likely never quoted the Air Filter even if she knows what it is because it is no longer a 4 year / 40,000 replacement item.

It went to 6 years / 60,000 miles in 2020.  *Obviously it should be checked at services and replaced if required.*

Did she include their very expensive if they change it Pollen / Cabin Filter?     Can you not change that, or look at the air filter and change if required?

Was the Brake Fluid changed at 3 years / 30,000 miles or tested? 

Top Green Menu how it was pre 2020.

That is 2nd Variable Service that is a Major, the first 2 year / Variable / Flexible service should never have been charged as a Major Service.

827614452_SkodaFixedPriceServicing.JPG.3dbea7606c029076ed94e2f0216199b6.jpeg.689c25a185d90e4e44889f342770023b.jpeg

1039190636_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_36.jpg.994d2b104123865330d493df0f73629e.jpg.469b173dd8ff2b7c1980f902f406fe61.jpg

1025295341_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_17.jpg.f3e4a6dc63cb89105f9b1ac440bb1614.jpg.1a83aff70ed152245067b78901bec0e3.jpg

1179912860_922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736(1).jpg.606196879c2532f67305f1ec411800c6.jpg.ae72883e03ebfe07c56e6881a86e16a9.jpg

image (1).webp

1995072312_22190367_575794279_Screenshot2023-03-1822_35_35.jpg.f1eafd544592c6770c8a17f54f93155c(1).j-9b07d3d237fd672b0c1.jpg.c2a4c8259a371d28308c221400827bd2(2).jpg.3a8a389d28b4293500a85fe7b238d865 (2).jpg

Edited by Rooted

We're new to Skoda but have had VWs and SEATs for years.

The servcing has always done my head in - especially the way it used to alternate between minor and major services, but they only did the major servcing stuff if it needed to done based on time & distance but charged for it anyway.  So you'd be paying for spark plugs (or diesel fuel filter) and air filter, including the cost of doing that work, and they wouldn't be changed.

I thnk what they've done now is taken those items out (but not reduced the price) and now they get added back in (at additional cost) if required.   So now you're paying the price of a major service and all you're getting is an oil and filter change and some checks (which are usually covered by the dealer vehicle check anyway). 

Not having to deal with this crap is almost making me look forward to having an EV!

14 hours ago, Mikeevans said:

This was for 1.5 tsi manual front wheel drive. It was 4 year service, the women quoted me saying it was for a service and pollen filter at first at £345 but she quoted me wrong because she didn't include spark plus and air filter. So I'm guessing spark plugs and air filter cost addition £217 which again seem ridiculous. 

I agree, that's expensive. I've just checked prices for my two nearest dealerships and the 4yr Oil, inspection and pollen filter is £263.  Your dealer is charging £345 😲

Go to https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/servicing-maintenance-fixed-price , select book service online and select that same dealer. What prices are they quoting online?  In my experience, all dealers are usually around the same price for the main service, it's the additional work such as MOT prices, Brake fluid change, etc  where prices vary.

Can't comment on the current spark plug price ( not until October anyway :D ) but prices used to be £99. Yeh I can see them going up due to inflation etc but...   A Bosch Spark plug for the 1.5tsi should cost between £15-£20 so thats £80 max.  And then the labour to fit them...  It's going to take no time ( or do it yourself? ) but lets say £50. So total cost £130 would seem about right if it used to be £99 a few years back.

£263 + £130 - £393.  If they were charging me over £400 I'd tell them to stuff it.

Most dealers I've come across will price match. Have a word with a 3rd party or if you want main dealer, get a quote from both VW and SEAT. Even if your Skoda dealer won't price match a corner street garage or a fast-fit centre, I can't see them taking any pride in being more expensive than VW or SEAT.  

hope that helps

Hi 

I've tried the online service and if you look at checkout to says estimated and the dealer will be in touch.( £220 for the standard service online) Mean while I've rang up my next Skoda dealer ( Wolverhampton) they have quoted me £515 for major service and £345 for 5th year service, which is cheaper than Stourbridge (£562). These are both Johnson Skoda. Just to be cheeky which dealers did your enquire at? I mean I don't mind paying the money but again I don't want to be ripped off, my local halford/ nation is £265 with out spark plugs.

Using the term MAJOR Service might be the issue.

It is Oil & Inspection Services, if on fixed Services, year 1,2 & 3 and the Extended Scope year 3 and then each 2 years.

Extra year 2 Pollen Filter, Extra year 3 the Brake Fluid and year 5. 

As to year 4 / 40,000 miles it is an Oil & Inspection Service and Pollen Filter and Spark Plugs extra.

But then depends what has been done, what you want done.    Ask exactly what they are doing and are they still saying 'Major Service'?

Thanks You for your reply, I asked for a cost of a service they have told me it's a 4th year service which is a major service.  They broke it down for me this included oil inspection/ pollen filter, spark plugs and air filter. It was £345 just for a service and pollen filter or £562 with spark plug and air filter.  Im waiting to hear off another branch which isn't Johnsons.  

26 minutes ago, Mikeevans said:

Thanks You for your reply, I asked for a cost of a service they have told me it's a 4th year service which is a major service.  They broke it down for me this included oil inspection/ pollen filter, spark plugs and air filter. It was £345 just for a service and pollen filter or £562 with spark plug and air filter.  Im waiting to hear off another branch which isn't Johnsons.  

That's not far off Skoda's own price for 2yrs of Service Plus!   You might as well buy that.  https://customer.vwfs.co.uk/service-plans/skoda?traci_c=UK|OSP|S|Sales|Core|Skoda:DM-P:&traci_s=SI:SKODA:SEA:Google:SearchAd:2023-01:&traci_ee=19604534807:145589334923:647819819924::::&traci_t=skoda all in:e::&s_kwcid=AL!10901!3!647819819924!e!!g!!skoda all in&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx-Cw5dGZhAMVuYtQBh3JTw8pEAAYASAAEgLYUfD_BwE

Or, as mentioned earlier,  All In, which, for a bit more, gives you warranty, roadside and MOT too.  (I'd make sure the spark plugs etc are covered in the All In plan - it's not expliity stated, I don't think).

Or abandon Skoda altogether and use an indie - should be way cheaper.  There's a school of thought that taking a car to a dealer once it's a few years old is asking for trouble as they try and load on things like pads & discs, new tyres as your are down to 4.5mm etc.

Edited by Rory

1 hour ago, Mikeevans said:

Hi 

I've tried the online service and if you look at checkout to says estimated and the dealer will be in touch.( £220 for the standard service online) Mean while I've rang up my next Skoda dealer ( Wolverhampton) they have quoted me £515 for major service and £345 for 5th year service, which is cheaper than Stourbridge (£562). These are both Johnson Skoda. Just to be cheeky which dealers did your enquire at? I mean I don't mind paying the money but again I don't want to be ripped off, my local halford/ nation is £265 with out spark plugs.

Hi. Those prices were for Henrys ( Glasgow ), West End ( Edinburgh, Stirling and Dunfermline ), Thomson and Potter ( Perth ). Just checked my supplying dealer Ingrams ( Ayr ) and they're the same. Whenever I've enquired about prices in the past via telephone, they've quoted the same as their internet prices for servicing. It's the additional 'maintenance' items where their prices vary from garage to garage - even within the same dealership group.

My current car is under a service program, which as others have pointed out, was taken out when on offer last year. The all-in-1 wasn't that attractive to me but the 2yr service was. All depends on individual circumstances tho so I'm sure that won't suit everyone.  I'd defo check your local VW and SEAT dealer prices tho ( forget Audi :D ).  Price hikes may just be peculiar to your area.

Edited by kodiaqsportline

I bought my Karoq with 2 years service, MoT & Warranty which is about to run out at the end of March & I've just had an email about Service Plans. Initially I ignored it but looking at the All-in plan it seems it might not be a bad deal as it includes 2x Services, 2x MoTs, 2 years warranty & AA breakdown for £900. I realise an indy might be cheaper but the Warranty is certainly attractive - I've already used it to have a broken fuel filler solenoid replaced.

Does anyone think this plan is way overpriced? I can't see that it is although I'd want to see the fine detail of the Warranty.

It used to be £30/month (£720), recently hiked to £900. I've been very fortunate with timing over the last 4 years (so taken out 2 times) in November when they did a 20% off Black Friday deal for the month. So both times paying a little over £25 / month.

For me its extremely attractive in that our Superb does 20k per year so covered by 2 long life services that also includes all extended bits (spark plugs).

As son is driving on business all over the country breakdown cover is essential, would cost £200+ to get that level of cover elsewhere.

Although never needed the warranty yet 🤞it reassuring its a full Skoda warranty and not a third party with excesses involved. Essentially our Superb has been covered by Skoda warranty for 7 years from new.

2 MOTs is also included.

Note there are eligibility conditions.

Servicing can be done any time (even straight away) and within a 3 year time frame (used to be 4) so you can use the longlife 2 year regime.

https://customer.vwfs.co.uk/content/dam/bluelabel/valid/www-vwfs-co-uk/documents/all-in/skoda-allin-mot-and-servicing-terms-and-conditions.pdf

Based on the kind of pricing the OP is seeing for a service, then it seems Skoda (VW Group) may be trying to do the same thing as Mercedes did, where they made "rack rate" servicing so ridiculously expensive that the Mercedes ServiceCare plan seemed quite reasonable - and that didn't include MOT or warranty (although MB dealer servicing extends the Roadside cover anyway).

I suppose if you are going to carry on using a dealer for servicing then All In makes sense although £900 is less easier to accept than when it was ~£600.  It seems on these types of forums that many people do still use their local dealer for servicing, yet I was talking to a service manager of another (non-VW Group) brand and he reckoned hardly anyone with a car outide factory warranty uses a franchise dealer for service.

1 hour ago, Rory said:

It seems on these types of forums that many people do still use their local dealer for servicing, yet I was talking to a service manager of another (non-VW Group) brand and he reckoned hardly anyone with a car outide factory warranty uses a franchise dealer for service.

I can see this being true, I know when the manufacturers warranty of our Fabia expired I gradually migrated the servicing to a local (easier to get to) garage. I have done the same with previous cars as they got older.

• Like 1

On 07/02/2024 at 16:35, Rory said:

Or abandon Skoda altogether and use an indie - should be way cheaper.  There's a school of thought that taking a car to a dealer once it's a few years old is asking for trouble as they try and load on things like pads & discs, new tyres as your are down to 4.5mm etc.

I always used to do my own servicing and repairs until my work supplied company cars which were serviced for me, Upon retirement I bought new vehicles with a service plan, but my current Karoq was recently 4 years old and I used a local independant garage which I trust and have used for other vehicles over the years. I booked their oil change service and MOT which I reasoned would inspect all the items that needed to be checked for safety purposes. As the car was low mileage, I did not get the spark plugs changed or any of the filters this time. The total cost was £195 including VAT.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JS58 said:

I bought my Karoq with 2 years service, MoT & Warranty which is about to run out at the end of March & I've just had an email about Service Plans. Initially I ignored it but looking at the All-in plan it seems it might not be a bad deal as it includes 2x Services, 2x MoTs, 2 years warranty & AA breakdown for £900. I realise an indy might be cheaper but the Warranty is certainly attractive - I've already used it to have a broken fuel filler solenoid replaced.

Does anyone think this plan is way overpriced? I can't see that it is although I'd want to see the fine detail of the Warranty.

When I looked at the extended warranty, it wasn't bettered by any 3rd party - I reckon it's as good a warranty as you'll find.

Overpriced?  Depends on personal circumstances I guess.  The question is can you get a better deal elsewhere?

Example : I bought MOT via Groupon - £25 ( there's always someone with an offer ). Skoda charge £55 per MOT.

Skoda's breakdown / recovery is the AA's top service for £110 year. But I don't need any of that. All I want is the car recovered to a dealer if it can't be fixed roadside, I want them to come to my home if it breaks down here, And there's no point in me paying for European breakdown if my car will never be driven in Europe. I bought a years cover from another recovery broker that suits me for £20 which is a fraction of what the All-in-1 plan includes.

And when the warranty runs out, Skoda made me an offer for warraty alone at a reduced price.  All of that worked out better for me than their All-in-1 package but of course, that may not be true / suit everyone.

You say it runs out end of March. Is it worthwile hanging on and waiting for special offers?  I seem to remember offers being made late summer last year, then of course there's the time around Black Friday.

If your car doesn't need serviced between end of March and then is it worth putting these off?

Recent price hike to £900?  I can't remember the T&C of the earlier plans but I'm pretty sure spark plugs were not included when I looked at All-in-1 in August of last year. Now that they are included, that might explain the price rise. I could of course be talking complete nonsense - it's just a guess.

Skoda also quote £220 for those spark plugs + pollen filer + air filter which is quite expensive.  You should be able to buy those for half the price elsewhere and none require a degree in rocket science to replace. So for me, yes £900 for 2yr all-in-1 would be more expensive than PAYG.

I was a customer of this plan from its inception. Its always included the spark plugs / diesel fuel filter/pollen/air filter if it's scheduled which means some low mileage or wrong age bracket won't get them but most will.

I suppose there is a danger you could fall victim to an upsell when MOT'd/serviced. It should help a bit with resale value if you have a full dealer history.

There are some very expensive bits on a modern Skoda. Radar units, electric boot struts, Infotainment unit.