2023 Superb 280tsi DQ381 mapping

I like a lot of things about my new 280tsi, but one thing I have noticed is that the gearbox is quite reluctant to change down when I want to accelerate moderately. It tends to hold the revs down below the boost range so you press the throttle a fair bit, no downchange, acceleration is very sluggish, then after several seconds the revs have crept up a bit and it comes on boost and accelerates quite rapidly, all with the same throttle position. The old car with the DQ250 would have changed down to keep the revs within the boost range much more willingly.

Of course I can select sport mode or change down with the paddles or press the throttle a long way down (so that when it comes on boost it is off like a rocket) but I shouldn't really have to do that in "normal driving" and I certainly didn't have to with the DQ250.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, if there is any solution to make it better other than a gearbox remap? I already have a pedal box.

Yep, the standard accelerator is laggy to say the least. I found it to be exactly the same when I got the 280. Get a Racechip XLR pedal box. You can return it if it doesn’t meet your requirements. Much cheaper than a remap I suspect. 

2 hours ago, numskull said:

Yep, the standard accelerator is laggy to say the least. I found it to be exactly the same when I got the 280. Get a Racechip XLR pedal box. You can return it if it doesn’t meet your requirements. Much cheaper than a remap I suspect. 

+1

get a throttle controller.

See last sentence! I already have a racechip pedal box which I transplanted from the old car. This is a different issue from the very soggy throttle response, which is actually much less soggy on the new car. This is only a gearbox issue not an engine issue.

Is it really worth Voiding the Warranty on a DQ381 or any DSG for that matter but especially a DQ381?

Best get an extended warranty that covers it with Factory Approved Software, as in as it comes.

The issues with them are sadly growing apparently.

Nit that Skoda / VW Group are accepting that yet. 

20 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Is it really worth Voiding the Warranty on a DQ381 or any DSG for that matter but especially a DQ381?

Best get an extended warranty that covers it with Factory Approved Software, as in as it comes.

The issues with them are sadly growing apparently.

Nit that Skoda / VW Group are accepting that yet. 

+1

especially when we can enjoy one of the last VAG car with normal gear selector stalk,
by which DSG Sport mode is under your hand, just by one push back

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

See last sentence! I already have a racechip pedal box which I transplanted from the old car. This is a different issue from the very soggy throttle response, which is actually much less soggy on the new car. This is only a gearbox issue not an engine issue.

My bad.

Sorry.

10 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Whoops… that’ll teach me from being a SA! Soz about that. Do you have it on the highest setting? Yeah, this is weird all right, but I don’t understand why or, indeed, how a DSG would make engine acceleration “sluggish”. 

3 hours ago, numskull said:

Whoops… that’ll teach me from being a SA! Soz about that. Do you have it on the highest setting? Yeah, this is weird all right, but I don’t understand why or, indeed, how a DSG would make engine acceleration “sluggish”. 

It’s on the second orange setting.
The DSG makes the engine acceleration sluggish because it keeps in too high a gear with the engine rpm down at maybe 1300 rpm despite maybe 50% throttle. The engine ECU limits fuel flow at such low rpm partly to avoid labouring/juddering but mostly I suspect because there is no turbo boost. So you sit there with 50% throttle, 1300… 1350… 1400… 1450…(yawn) … 1500… 1550…1600 - and then it’s off! Brisk acceleration now it’s “on boost”, still with the same throttle setting. The old car with the DQ250 never did this.

If I  press the throttle to 75% it does decide to change down, but then hurtles off like the mad thing it is. The only way I can see to give moderate and steady acceleration is to manually control the gears. Which rather defeats the point of an automatic,

Edited by nicknorman

I suppose part of the reason for this post is to find out if other people with post FL 280s have the same issue. It does seem surprisingly bad design so I wondered if there was something wrong with my car.

The older cars with a DQ250 could have the test results cheated easily and then the WLTP / RDE2 came about and it is not about how the cars are in the real world it is how they can be manipulated to get the required emission reading under a test regime different from the real world. 

Automatic as in 2 pedals,   Semi Automatic as VW Group call DSG,s, all the better for being able to be Automated Manuals really, or just do manual shifts.

There is only a 60mph NSL anyway. and 7 gears to get to that or the 70 mph limits on roads with that limit. 

Just floor the accelerator, the car can do twice the Motorway / Dual Carriageway speed limits. 

Edited by Rooted

DQ381 with revo software for the box and a pedal box. Makes the car a bit more likely to be in the correct gear, but my usual lazy mode driving still causes the box to be too high when needed on the odd occasion. A lot better than the factory settings, and I can actually use sport instead of extra throttle to be in the correct gear for boost without a heavier throttle causing the sudden lift your speaking of. 
it’s not perfect, but it’s better than the fuel economy chasing settings the OEM software runs, where I constantly found myself in 7th at 30 and a bit mph with a box that was reluctant to change down on a light throttle input for say, a slight incline. 

• Like 1

Yep find the same in D, have to put throttle down quite a bit at which point it changes down and acts like you’ve floored it. Even worse in E. Generally when coming to a junction/roundabout  I knock it into S so that little bit better rev range. The same when looking to need a bit of a kickdown effect, like an overtake or released on a dual carriageway from slower traffic.
Not sure there is a quick fix, I have XLR on the strongest setting, I prefer the sensitivity and you dial it into your behaviour after a bit, but it still doesn’t solve the gear choice issue.

In time I’d look at a remap for ECU and TCU. Not for this reason but it might solve it as an aside.

• Like 1

Seriously look at TVS engineering stge2+ dsg map. It really is nice. Have a look at the features built into it too. I was in their place in Holland last year and they really are true dsg doktors as they call themselves 

IMG_8740.png

• Like 1

On 17/02/2024 at 07:33, Esseesse200 said:

Seriously look at TVS engineering stge2+ dsg map. It really is nice. Have a look at the features built into it too. I was in their place in Holland last year and they really are true dsg doktors as they call themselves 

IMG_8740.png

I’ve got my eye on ECU2/DSG2+ combo when the warranty runs out later this year

On 18/02/2024 at 21:32, travs said:

I’ve got my eye on ECU2/DSG2+ combo when the warranty runs out later this year

Best decision of the year mate 👍🏻 not many places in the uk do it but if you are around or can make the journey I’d highly reccomend clp tuning in Sheffield !! They do some tasty stuff in there and have a dyno 👍🏻

• Love it! 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/02/2024 at 08:14, Esseesse200 said:

Best decision of the year mate 👍🏻 not many places in the uk do it but if you are around or can make the journey I’d highly reccomend clp tuning in Sheffield !! They do some tasty stuff in there and have a dyno 👍🏻

Def at the top of the list following your build thread Esseesse

• Love it! 1