My F2-VRS

With 100k KM, I solved the usual TSI-(CAVE)-problem by replacing chain, waterpump, camshaft gears, and so on.

Refurbished the 8.5x17" (BROCK) rims new rubber (Hankook 245/35) on it, and I had to add 15mm rubber extensions. A intake kit from RacingLine.

25kg of iron blocks came off under the rear bumper, so to compensate I want to move the battery to the boot. I ordered the mounting hardware from a Polo GTI, as this model with the same engine has the battery in the boot (Ibiza too).

So I toke all the mounting parts away and made an isolating plate with the sam width of the battery, added material, a threaded rod, 2 poles (for a lithium battery) so I could mount the fuse block (to +)and a copper bar (to -) only to hold everything fixed.

Now I need to pull a 35sqmm cable from the starter to the boot! 

The question is: how or where can the cable pass through to the interior, before I ruin the dash and carpeting?

• 2 weeks later...

No answer to my question?

How to bring the 35mm2 from the motor compartment to the interior, behind ECU? other suggestions ?

There should be a rubber boot going through the bulkhead containing the wiring loom somewhere about there. I would think that would be the best way.

Do you know anyone with a Polo or Ibiza you could have a look at to see how it's done on them?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HeavyMetalRich said:

There should be a rubber boot going through the bulkhead containing the wiring loom somewhere about there. I would think that would be the best way.

Do you know anyone with a Polo or Ibiza you could have a look at to see how it's done on them?

You cannot squeeze a 35 mm cable through an existing cable run, Cars that have this set up will have a dedicated hole and grommet for a cable of that size.

4 hours ago, Jocko said:

You cannot squeeze a 35 mm cable through an existing cable run, Cars that have this set up will have a dedicated hole and grommet for a cable of that size.

I agree I would be running battery externally under the car in the exhaust/ transmission tunnel 

4 hours ago, Jocko said:

The cable isn't going to be 35mm diameter. It'll be a 16mm diameter at the most, with insulation, to get the 35mm squared area cable the OP talked about. 

Now, I take your point that yes it probably won't be easy to run that with the existing wiring loom if it is as you say, at all possible. A look at a Polo or Ibiza would still be worth doing to get an idea where it goes.

It'll be more like 12mm in diameter tbh, no idea how people are coming up with such enormous numbers, divide 35 by pi then take the square root to get the radius if it were solid copper.

I measured 9.5mm with the insulation, copper diameter 6.65mm, so radius 3.325, is 11.05 square time Pi = 35

Just now, Erreesse said:

I measured 9.5mm with the insulation, copper diameter 6.65mm, so radius 3.325, is 11.05 square time Pi = 35

My only comment is that the insulation is a little thin for the length and current it'll be carrying, but I guess cost is a factor so go with what you've got.

The cable used in Ibiza and Polo GTI is 35 mm2, so I ordered 5m of them. I'll  (try) send some pictures of the "work in progress".

5 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

My only comment is that the insulation is a little thin for the length and current it'll be carrying, but I guess cost is a factor so go with what you've got.

Cables with thinner insulation can carry a larger current, the manufacturers got wise to that a very long time ago.

Length of cable is directly related to current carrying capacity but has no relationship with insulation thickness.

@Erreesse why did you feel the need to compensate for the removal of the 25kg of iron they added for some daft reason to do with WTLP or whatever? Its not as if the vehicle was designed with that in place.

• Haha 1

@J.R.  the MK2 Fabia vRS was built between 2010 and 2014.   Skoda put on the rear crash bar ballast weight of 25 kG.  On the Hatch not on the 9 3/4" longer estate which they have as 5kG lighter. Stronger rear springs obviously, does not go light on front when accelerating from a standstill. Not the TC flashing or power cut or brakes nipped..   They also got spare wheels and tools, 19kG.   The sister cars were showing as lighter.  No weight on the crash bar.  They can have tow bars.  The Polo GTI got the battery in the boot and no spare as standard.  That was a tax band lower and lighter.  Well until the true kerb weight was given for 3 and 5 doors.  The Ibiza 3 door was heavier than the hatch vRS, only the A1 195 PS two charger was lighter.     Basically with the rear springs on the vRS and ballast weights the front goes light under acceleration..    the figures for 0-62 and the economy are an accounts exercise in cheating the lightest of the cars / cheapest.   The vRS on 205 tyres the sister cars on 215,s.    When the CTHE engines was fitted in 2012 SEAT had the Ibiza showing lower emissions and a lower tax band.  Skoda never bothered.  Testing would have shown the false official figures when show. Against the sister car or vRS estate.  Kerb weights and emissions..    as it is as others built cars light Skoda designed and manufacturer and the fitted Ballast weights, even type approved or maybe not.   Add weight, not improved brakes.   Really took the pith.     PS. The important bit is the better ride of a Polo GTI than the vRS even on the same springs if you had fitted the Eibach option.  Also if you fit 215/40 r 17 tyres on the vRS.    The vRS still had a big heavy lump fitted at the very rear most fixing place.   The GTI has a between the wheels and no spare wheel in the boot unless fitted as an option. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rooted said:

@J.R.   Stronger rear springs obviously, does not go light on front when accelerating from a standstill.  

Basically with the rear springs on the vRS and ballast weights the front goes light under acceleration.

Skoda designed and manufacturer and the fitted Ballast weights, even type approved or maybe not.   Add weight, not improved brakes.  

I am really struggling to understand the above, what was the purpose of fitting the ballast weights?

Not have the cheapest and actually lightest of the 5 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136 kW twin chargers have the best performance.    The other car they added weights to after there were handling issues were Audi TT,s.    But no other engine Fabia, Polo, Ibiza , A1 needed ballast at the rear.    Nobody fits extra weight to the rear corner of a Fabia MK2 Monte Carlo 1.6tdi if tuned and to have it perform / handle better.   The MK2 vRS even with weights fitted can **** (co+-ck) a back wheel on cornering hard on tracks or up hill fast corners.     What they should have done was fit the correct suspension and even the battery in the boot.     But then the Polo GTI was thousands more expensive and not truly faster and is heavy to this day.   Anyone could just weigh them. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

So with the battery in the boot and no ballast at the rear, I think the front /rear weight ballance  will be unchanged but about 20kg lighter. With an added lightness of  a weight drop (my body) of 5kg the acceleration goes down by 2msec 🤩  .

The air filter box is is also changed (lighter), battery tray replaced by connection plate.

In the trunk I had to add the Polo/Ibiza battery mounting assembly.

Concerning corner speed, with the 245/35 on 8.5" ......... no difference. Maybe the rear axle of the Fabia R2 evo will bring improvement.

The biggest improvement (day/night) was changing the front brakesto 300mm i.s.o. 288.

• Sad 1

I had 225,35 R 18 on wheels off a Audi A1 Competition 122 ps on a Fabia. 

They were no better than any good tyres i had used.  Hard ride though.   

There are different rear axles pre and post 2012.   Threads on that. 

ARB front and rear, rear brace fitted all been done.

Just check the Fabia Project Section.          Lighter battery in the front threads, turned to side kit etc.  Plenty done all the bits a pieces.  

post-86161-0-52710500-1450776027.jpg.a633b957cdc93bd3820edbfa5e588e63.jpg

5a12e5f556a3f_maxresdefault(1).jpg.93bf1a0f94ea3fe1ab55b886c1a53685.jpg

post-86161-0-29542800-1450776039.jpg.c685658a43aa5eb53fac3c3653431cf3.jpg

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/02/2024 at 18:37, Erreesse said:

The cable used in Ibiza and Polo GTI is 35 mm2, so I ordered 5m of them. I'll  (try) send some pictures of the "work in progress".

Cable could be run through the main factory grommet / loom plate on the drivers side (UK CAR)....removing scuttle panel and wiper motor gives plenty of access. Images show where I added the cruise control loom.

You can feel easily up above the pedals to this grommet and ensure the area is clear when you drill a hole, then you can come down the kick panel and along the sills under the trim, plenty of room under there for a battery cable.

The most awkard bit would probably be up and over the rear seat hump, but once in the boot area, again loads of room.

IMG-1009.jpg

cruise2.jpg

Edited by UrbanPanzer

Thank you, cable is already on the inner side. Now the problem is how to route the cable to the trunk. I ordered tools (Amazon) to remove inner trim, as the cable came in nicely under the dash near the hood release (LHD) and I began to put it under the plastic part under the door (base pillar ?).