DSG gearbox repair price

Hi, first post here and it's asking for support

I have a Skoda Octavia Scout with engine code DFFA fitted with a 7 speed DSG gearbox, 19 plate

A few days ago I heard a random buffetting sound and thought it was the door seal failing, and a little vibration was felt but was not sure what it was, then I was thinking con rod failure but just now a message saying: gearbox in safe mode no reverse gear. I was about 1/4 mile from home, in that 1/4 mile I found out I have lost 2nd and probably 4th (I live on a 40mph main dual carriageway), I managed to limp home. Car won't go in to reverse, check engine light is on, how much am I expecting to pay to get it repaired.

More info: My insurance is also with admiral and I have national breakdown cover which seems to include driveway cover.

Any information would be really helpful. Thanks.

Got the AA guy out cuz I was stuck on my driveway, the transmission code was 29AC, any ideas? It was read as unknown on their system

On 29/02/2024 at 01:05, hkboi said:

how much am I expecting to pay to get it repaired.

I dont know, please tell us.

6 hours ago, hkboi said:

the transmission code was 29AC, any ideas? It was read as unknown on their system

The AA was using a generic code reader?

Hello, welcome to the forum.

According to MSN AI help, it appears that error code 29AC refers to either a mechatronic issue (shift solenoids) or shift selector position problem. Have you attempted a DSG reset?

Just now, hkboi said:

Actually no? How do you do it? What kind of tools am I looking at?

To do it properly, a VCDS as a minimum. 

• Thanks 1

If you have the 7-speed DQ200 - key in ignition, switch on but do not start engine, press throttle pedal to floor and hold there for 10 to 20 seconds (you should feel a click when doing this) release pedal and then start engine.

5 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

If you have the 7-speed DQ200 - key in ignition, switch on but do not start engine, press throttle pedal to floor and hold there for 10 to 20 seconds (you should feel a click when doing this) release pedal and then start engine.

I have that method filed under 'Urban Myth'

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

An Octavia scout or any 2.0 TDI or TSI or Skoda car with Haldex has not got a 7 speed DQ200 DSG.   It will have a DQ

381 7 speed wet clutch DSG where MCU failures are becoming more and more common.  Globally.  Check with a search of DQ381 failures.  Not overblown on forums.  VW would like owners to believe that though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gammyleg said:

I have that method filed under 'Urban Myth'

I did wonder when I found it - it sounds more like a throttle body reset if it's real.

30 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

I did wonder when I found it - it sounds more like a throttle body reset if it's real.

I've tried this method a few times with my DQ200. I've watched plenty of youtube videos demonstrating it but I've noticed that they never show a 'before' clip so you can't judge how effective the alleged reset has been.

In my case, ( and after throwing a further £2k at the problem ) it did absolutely nothing.

• Sad 1

Actually you can reset some DSG,s with a simple pedal hold reset.  Just from it being used in a certain way for a while by other drivers.  DQ200,s that id of different years, and engines and ECU mapping.  Like driving using a dynamic pedal action and getting quicker responses on part accelerator.  Not a myth, just not applicable with all DSG,s.    Not just a made up thing or a case of someone's imagination. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Thanks 1

I have a 209 scout. Just before Xmas I had the same message, and the car would only select the even gears after a journey of over 50 miles. Once left to cool down all was ok on short distances, but kept happening on long distances. Eventually had to have the mechatronics unit swapped. Luckily the car was still under warranty. The mileage was just under 50k. The dealer had the car for 30 days due to a shortage of replacement units!

Sorry 2019 scout. I also have a friend with a karoq dsg awd that has just started to have the same issue. Obviously a generic fault with the dq381 gear box.

The DSG is electronically operated I seem to remember someone having a similar problem on here,

the problem was poor battery condition. 

• Like 1

I don't understand why Skoda changed the oil service interval up to 80,000 miles unless it was to increase the failure rate.

other Manufacturers insist on 36,000/3 year at a minimum for a dsg

if the gearbox and mechatronic units share the oil, Gearbox swaff and solenoids in mechatronic units don't mix well..

Losing odd or even gears is a sign of non functioning or sticking solenoids.

Edited by Stonekeeper
  • Like 1

Re costs, if it is the mechatronics then probably about £2000, that’s what the dealer said mine would have cost!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1