Eco (cruising) - how does that really work ?

Hello everyone,

We have Skoda Kodiaq for over 4 years and I still didn't fully understand how the Eco mode works.

When I release accelerator pedal, it sometimes turns on and sometimes doesn't (on the same, flat road).

I understand the internal computer decides whether it can be turned on or not but does anybody know any way to let it be tolerant

and turn on the Eco mode more often ?

Googling suggests it puts the DSG gearbox into neutral so the car coasts. Presumably that means it won't happen with a manual gearbox.

No idea if it's engine-dependent - I have the 190 diesel and ECO flashes up occasionally.

Edited by Nimby

41 minutes ago, New11 said:

When I release accelerator pedal, it sometimes turns on and sometimes doesn't (on the same, flat road).

I don't recall the Eco light on my car ever illuminating when I lift off the accelerator ( 1.5tsi ). I thought it only illuminated when you're applying gentle power to the engine.

Posted (edited)

I have Diesel and automatic gearbox. The Eco light illuminates when I gently take my foot off the accelerator pedal. But it is very unpredictable behavior.

Edited by New11

2 hours ago, Routemaster1461 said:

With the petrol engine the Eco mode indicates that the engine is in 2 cylinder mode. Anyone know what happens on a diesel?

Probably nothing. It'll just be another another cheat device to make you think it's emitting less. :D

6 hours ago, Routemaster1461 said:

With the petrol engine the Eco mode indicates that the engine is in 2 cylinder mode. Anyone know what happens on a diesel?

Coasting with clutches disengaged.

On my 12 day old 2.0 TDi 4x4 sport DSG, when I lift off the accelerator when going say down a slope or just slowing down, the indicator changes from D6 or D7 (or whatever gear I’m in) to just D - and it feels like it’s coasting in neutral. - Not tried the eco mode yet.

Edited by Millstone
Spelling

1 minute ago, Millstone said:

On my 12 day old 2.0 TDi 4x4 sport when I lift off the accelerator when going say down a slope or just slowing down, the indicator changes from D6 or D7 (or whatever gear I’m in) to just D - and it feels like it’s coast in neutral. - Not tried the eco mode yet.

Yes… it does it occasionally in normal under the circumstances you describe, but in eco mode it will coast more often and at times it wouldn’t in normal.

I think there is some confusion about eco mode. There is a selection of normal, sport and economy mode on the central screen, but I thought the discussion was the little eco symbol that appears on the virtual cockpit. Thee is no control over this and it usually appears under very liht engine loading, for nstace, maintaining speed down a gradient where a trailing throttle would slow the car down. This is when 2 cylinder mode cuts in on a petrol engine.

@Routemaster1461  Lets be clear, that is 1.4 or 1.5 TSI,s ACT,s with a DSG that some have ECO showing and Active Cylinder Technology / Cylinder on Demand.  TFSI ACT (Audi) 

are going into 2 Cylinder,  or there can be 'Coasting'.

Among the other engines depending on which there is ECO where Coasting is Enabled.  Or just 'Coasting' can be selected on a screen and then Coasting enabled.

With some with ECO as a Mode people say they never drive in that, and others say they do.    This ECO choice is not with ACT,s. 

It is showing 'Eco'  that confuses some,  some show 'Coasting'  on certain screens,  with 'Coasting;  the obvious thing is when D7 or D6, D5 etc goes to just D.

Touch the brake or accelerator and it is back to D7, D6 or whatever gear it is in. 

I've just realised reading all messages that I have clarify my original question.

In my Skoda (diesel) we don't have the eco mode in the gear box. What I was talking about is the ECO symbol/icon (right down corner in the dashboard) that shows (sometimes !) when I release the acelerator.

Is there any way I can make it on more often ?

24 minutes ago, New11 said:

I've just realised reading all messages that I have clarify my original question.

In my Skoda (diesel) we don't have the eco mode in the gear box. What I was talking about is the ECO symbol/icon (right down corner in the dashboard) that shows (sometimes !) when I release the acelerator.

Is there any way I can make it on more often ?

Just a couple of questions

1: What difference to you detect in the way the car drives / performs / economy when the ECO symbol is on?

2: If the answer is nothing then why do you want it on more often ?

Edited by kodiaqsportline

There is an Eco mode for the smaller petrol engines which deactivates a cylinder.

There is a selectable Eco mode on those models with ‘mode selection’ that adjusts throttle response amongst other things.

The DSG gearbox has an Eco mode that enables coasting.

All utilise various on-dash symbols.

The OP has a diesel, so that rules out the first option. The OP is also unaware of the ability to select Eco manually via the mode select feature, and as it resets after each ignition cycle anyway it is fair to assume the vehicle in in ‘Normal’ mode.

The OP has confirmed they have DSG, which through the process of elimination suggests what they’re seeing is the gearbox coasting mode.

So, to answer the original question ‘can it be made to do it more often’ then the answer is yes and no 🤭

Yes, if Eco mode is manually selected at the beginning of each journey via the ‘mode selection’ feature, or no, if left in Normal mode…

On 16/03/2024 at 20:57, Millstone said:

On my 12 day old 2.0 TDi 4x4 sport DSG, when I lift off the accelerator when going say down a slope or just slowing down, the indicator changes from D6 or D7 (or whatever gear I’m in) to just D - and it feels like it’s coasting in neutral. - Not tried the eco mode yet.

Same here. As mentioned, DSG 4x4 diesel 190. Car in "normal" driving mode (ie not eco); gear indicator changes to "D" and ECO indicator comes on.

1 hour ago, Nimby said:

Same here. As mentioned, DSG 4x4 diesel 190. Car in "normal" driving mode (ie not eco); gear indicator changes to "D" and ECO indicator comes on.

….. and I’m wearing out my LH paddle as I click it back into gear when it freewheels when I done want it to.

My '19 1.5 dsg petrol, the symbol is on when coasting with just D showing, also with act it lights up.

There is an eco screen in the infotainment screen which gives you a graph of your driving. There is also an option to have the 2 cylinder mode on the dash display.

It's some entertainment to try and keep the eco light on but not touching the gas or brake pedal can send you up close to traffic.

I'm sure it's all a gimmick that probably saves very little fuel.

• Confused 1

Hardly a gimmick when it is enabled and used on suitable roads & it can result in less fuel being consumed. 

People can get more miles from a tank using 'Coasting' while doing trips in the same time at the same speed as not enabling 'Coasting'. 

It might well be more about the manufacturer meeting Average Fleet emissions which they need to and the WLTP / RDE2 results but it is easy enough if you do the same trips regularly and throughout the year in the different seasons and road conditions to drive with Coasting Functioning and others times without and see if you use less fuel.

That becomes more difficult when it is a car with ACT/ COD and not just a 4 cylinder engine where ECO/ Coasting is about the DSG disengaging.