Three G11 coolant mixtures, boiling-cooling time comparison.

3 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

so what? if it burns out you change it

Some drivers here although live in hot climate use the 50% ,is there really need for this?

Very unlikely for any need for 50% mix in those circumstances - but I've known gearbox class Kart racers in the past who've used stronger concentrations in liquid-cooled rigs - so that they don't blow their coolant all over the track when they overheat. 

Edited by Warrior193
correction
  • Like 1

@Rooted My primary concern is in Cold start which of the 4 combinations will reach first the 92 'C

Watter Wetter says "Improves heat transfer and reduces cylinder head temperature" but in small routes in City i don't think i have that issue.

@Warrior193 I never liked that 50-50 ratio, some drivers (which don't like to search things) and even some mechanics-seller promote it.

@D.FYLAKTOS   

How cold is your cold starts. What is the actual oil and coolant temp?   No lower than the ambient temp!

It is a road car in Greece or driving in that general region.  Like the thousands and thousands much like it.

There are really really hot regions & really cold ones around  the world and they drive about as well. 

6 hours ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

although live in hot climate use the 50% ,is there really need for this?

i use 70-30% but i am aware of the fact its providing much less lubrication and corrosion resistance thats why i choose high quality G13 sooo I can run that mix

28 minutes ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

i use 70-30% but i am aware of the fact its providing much less lubrication and corrosion resistance thats why i choose high quality G13 sooo I can run that mix

If you had 30% G11 and 70% distilled water you could face lubrication and corrosion problems?

I think the minimum requirement is 20% antifreeze and covers till -8 'C.

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

How cold is your cold starts. What is the actual oil and coolant temp?   No lower than the ambient temp!

I have the assumption that if i have more antifreeze in my coolant (now it's too ''weak'') the engine will get hotter one click faster and will reach the 92 'C sooner than now.

I don't know if this is right or wrong, thus i am asking.

I would be more bothered about not getting caught out by an unexpected frost / very low temperature and wrecking the engine.

Just run the ratio for the conditions / temperatures you experience all year.

Or use a different ration / strength Summer / Winter.  If you dare. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

thats why i choose high quality G13 sooo I can run that mix

Tut, tut, the marvellous VW engineers changed their minds about that one, it's G12evo now (not G14, of course, as that would be too easy) I hope you're not disagreeing with those marvellous fellas, all the training, education and experience they went through, they wouldn't get things wrong would they.  😁  Get the drain catch bowl out. 😊

Only some German car owners know about those G numbers over here, it's good for the Dealerships and some retailers though, engineers, especially the German engineers it seems, do love their numbers.

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

I would be more bothered about not getting caught out by an unexpected frost / very low temperature and wrecking the engine.

The worst temperature all these 24 years for my Felicia was one day only at -4,5 'C in the year 2002 if i remember correct.

Today i had a 200 Km trip, half in Mountain Routes and half in Highway (speed 100-120), the needle never touched the 90 'C line in the dashboard gauge, i don't have overheating problems, just that ''concern of mine" in Cold start.

G11 TL-774 C 1994
G12 TL-774 D 1996
G12+ TL-774 F 2000
G12++ TL-774 G 2005
G13 TL-774 J 2012
G12 evo TL-774 L 2018

sooo yes that naming though, I bet the naming has something to do with it being a more universal formula

9 minutes ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

If you had 30% G11 and 70% distilled water you think could face lubrication and corrosion problems

short term no, but obviously corrosion inhibitors would deplete much quicker 

You had G11 (Green) before and for many years.

For you the ''lowest'' ratio that can be used in Felicia is 30% and the ideal is?

1 minute ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

You had G11 (Green) before and for many years.

For you the ''lowest'' ratio that can be used in Felicia is 30% and the ideal is?

Indeed but I changed it every year, 30% is fine

1 minute ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

So the G11 blue and the G12 red did not cover (at 30%) your expectations and you choose the G13 in the same ratio as better?

Since the vehicle is rarely used I now much prefer something longer life

2 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

G11 TL-774 C 1994

G12 TL-774 D 1996

The weird is that in User Manual says:

"TL-774 C Red colour 50% ratio"

but D is red and not C and out engine it's an 1994 design.

6 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

sooo yes that naming though, I bet the naming has something to do with it being a more universal formula

Yes I'm sure they would have some very engineers' logic to it all and "continuous improvement", "meeting current/future standards" - with each change of coolant spec.  I can't wait for G13 EVO, or would it be G12 EVO++ , TL-774 M or N, O, P depending on the G number and number of pluses, I'm not a VW engineer it's all beyond my logic, might be G15 next. for all I can tell.  I bet some engineers are working on it now for my benefit, and this is the gratitude I give them, I'm ashamed of myself.

Edited by nta16
spelling

14 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:
G11 TL-774 C 1994
G12 TL-774 D 1996
G12+ TL-774 F 2000
G12++ TL-774 G 2005
G13 TL-774 J 2012
G12 evo TL-774 L 2018

Or they took inspiration in IT. HDMI and USB naming is just mess.

• Haha 1

On 20/03/2024 at 16:06, Papez said:

I think that facelift Felicia uses G12, not G11.

What's the benefits of G12 instead off G11 in our engine?

G12 should have better corrosion protection, which is crucial on these engines. But you have to flush the engine properly, as G11 and G12 don't mix well. G12+ supposedly mixes better with G11, but I wouldn't risk it.

Edited by Papez
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1