Dash cam port C on rear view mirror

Just got a dash cam with USB C port. Plugged my USB C to USB C cable in to the mirror port try to power it. 

No power up. Tried all the car C ports and no joy.

Only powers up from the 12v cigarette socket.

All the dash cams I see on Amazon etc all seem to have the 12v cigarette cable from the pictures so I assumed 🙄 that the USB C port would just power it although I know its only 5v

So, am I just daft in not seeing any USB C port powered dash cams?

Thanks

Mark

20240408_182430.jpg

20240408_182434.jpg

Like I said prior the current from the C port isn't that high especially to run dash cams that are current hungry...

Can you not get a hard wire power supply?

Road angel do them where you can plug it into your fuse panel safely and feed to the camera..

Google ebay item 115537391848

22 minutes ago, Dazzy49 said:

Like I said prior the current from the C port isn't that high especially to run dash cams that are current hungry...

Can you not get a hard wire power supply?

Road angel do them where you can plug it into your fuse panel safely and feed to the camera..

Google ebay item 115537391848

If you look at the cable with the Road Angel Hardwire Kit for Road Angel Halo Ultra Aura HD4 you will see a block in the cable that steps the voltage down to 5V the clue is in the name "Image is

HWK5V"?

https://www.roadangelgroup.com/products/road-angel-halo-dash-cam-hardwiring-kit-for-halo-ultra

I suggest the op tries a different usbc to usbc cable before doing anything else

Edited by Stonekeeper
  • Like 1

I guess it's just too power hungry for the mirror port like Dazzy49 says. I know some have got there's to work using this port from the threads about a 30cm leads etc and they must have put the port there for this purpose only. Its just so very hard to find a USB driven one especially with the rear view camera too. Just wanted to keep things neat, tidy and the easy option, lol!

May have to look intonthe hardwire option. Cheers

2 minutes ago, MarkyThornton said:

I guess it's just too power hungry for the mirror port like Dazzy49 says. I know some have got there's to work using this port from the threads about a 30cm leads etc and they must have put the port there for this purpose only. Its just so very hard to find a USB driven one especially with the rear view camera too. Just wanted to keep things neat, tidy and the easy option, lol!

May have to look intonthe hardwire option. Cheers

i know it will be too long but have you tried the cable that plugs into the 12v lighter plug or is that not usbc?

The lead is USB C from the camera to the 9v cig plug in. The sig plug in has a USB port too.

Only other lead in the pack is the rear view camera

20240408_195746.jpg

20240408_195823.jpg

The plug will have voltage output and current output on it, i managed to make out 5v on the amazon advert but couldn't read the amp draw needed.

I think the usbc in the skoda is 1.25 amp as standard and up to 3.75 amp in some cars with the optional tech pack

The 12v power socket is 10amp

Is it possible that the battery in the camera needs charging up for a period before it will work I have a feeling that the 10amp socket is able to instantly power your camera and charge it but the usb needs the camera to have more charge in it to operate it and maintain it's charge?

Knowing the  figure on the camera plug will confirm.

Edited by Stonekeeper

Take a look at the Nextbase ones, my 522GW works fine with the USB-C power from the port by the mirror. They have options for rear cameras too, but they’d obviously need to be powered independently.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SteveTheElder said:

Take a look at the Nextbase ones, my 522GW works fine with the USB-C power from the port by the mirror. They have options for rear cameras too, but they’d obviously need to be powered independently.

The Nextbase rear camera is powered via the front one (I have a 422GW) so USB-C would need to be enough for both. I have hard-wired mine into the fuse box under the glovebox - not a complex task. Took me about an hour to do it tidily.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Maxi24 said:

The Nextbase rear camera is powered via the front one (I have a 422GW) so USB-C would need to be enough for both. I have hard-wired mine into the fuse box under the glovebox - not a complex task. Took me about an hour to do it tidily.

Ah! OK, I got that wrong then 🙄.

Thanks for posting the correction.

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted a Garmin Mini 2 over the weekend using a 30cm right angle USB C to right angle Micro USB cable. 

I’m happy with the install and how it just blends in around/behind the mirror. 

IMG_3345.jpeg

IMG_3346.jpeg

• Like 2

On 23/04/2024 at 00:06, WaveyDavey said:

Fitted a Garmin Mini 2 over the weekend using a 30cm right angle USB C to right angle Micro USB cable. 

I’m happy with the install and how it just blends in around/behind the mirror. 

IMG_3345.jpeg

IMG_3346.jpeg

I've just done exactly the same thing with a Mini 2 and the same cable. Works a treat, thanks for the heads up!

I'm still not sure if the cam connects via Bluetooth for the live view and if it clashes at all with wireless Android Auto and my Galaxy smar****ch - will see how it goes.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ItalianJob said:

I've just done exactly the same thing with a Mini 2 and the same cable. Works a treat, thanks for the heads up!

I'm still not sure if the cam connects via Bluetooth for the live view and if it clashes at all with wireless Android Auto and my Galaxy smar****ch - will see how it goes.

Yeah I’ve noticed if you have phone connected via wireless CarPlay it won’t connect to the camera. (It tries to connect to the camera and disconnects from the HU before failing the connection attempt and reconnecting to the HU).  If I connect the phone to the car via USB cable instead the connection to the camera works fine. 

Not a deal breaker for me as I’m used to just taking files off the card onto my laptop with my previous camera so I can do the same with this one. 

I’m also going to look at connecting the camera to WiFi as the router in the house is located a few feet from where the car is parked on the drive so need to look at what can be done with that connectivity method etc……

• Like 1