18" Tyre Recommendations

Hi All,

At my recent service the dealer pointed out a couple of cuts in the tyres. One in one of the front wheels, and a couple in one of the rears. The dealer went on to say they couldn't see the cords in any of the cuts. The first MOT is due mid-May, so I'm now wondering if the cuts will cause an MOT fail.

I'm thinking I may need to replace all 4 tyres. My SE L has got the 18" Perseus alloys on it, and currently has the factory supplied Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 tyres.

I could get the newer Asymmetric 6 fitted, but was wondering if anyone on here had any 18" tyre recommendations?

Many Thanks...

For the UK climate, unless you change to winter tyres, not great idea to have modern summer tyres (with their eco bias).  Performance in wet falls off rapidly below +10c, and rain in UK is generally cold, depending on where you live, rain might only be above 10c for 4 or months of the year.

I would go for best all season set you can find.  Depending on price and availability in your size would suggest any of (no particular order)

Goodyear vector 4season gen 3, Michelin cross climate 2, Bridgestone Turanza all season 6, Continental all season contact 2, Pirelli Cinturato all season SF3, Kleber Quadraxer 3, Vredestein Quatrac 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

I would go for best all season set you can find.  Depending on price and availability in your size would suggest any of (no particular order)

Goodyear vector 4season gen 3, Michelin cross climate 2, Bridgestone Turanza all season 6, Continental all season contact 2, Pirelli Cinturato all season SF3, Kleber Quadraxer 3, Vredestein Quatrac 

Thanks @SurreyJohn for this. I actually had not considered all season tyres before. I had a quick look at the prices, they certainly seem to command a price premium for the all season tyre! 😒

I've got Goodyear Vector 4seasons Gen 3 on my Superb and really rate them. Had Gen 2 on my previous car so all in have been running these tyres for approx 8 years now. I like them so much that I've also put them on the OH's & FiL's cars.

TBH, the don't seem extortionate in your rim size https://www.camskill.co.uk/m141b0s8784p0/All_Season_-_Four_Season_-_All_Weather_-_Car_MPV_Tyres_-_18_inch_R18_inch_-_225_45_18_225_45R18

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, petrolcan said:

I've got Goodyear Vector 4seasons Gen 3 on my Superb and really rate them. Had Gen 2 on my previous car so all in have been running these tyres for approx 8 years now. I like them so much that I've also put them on the OH's & FiL's cars.

TBH, the don't seem extortionate in your rim size https://www.camskill.co.uk/m141b0s8784p0/All_Season_-_Four_Season_-_All_Weather_-_Car_MPV_Tyres_-_18_inch_R18_inch_-_225_45_18_225_45R18

Thanks @petrolcan. I hadn't actually looked at W rated tyres due to the car being supplied with Y rated tyres. I wasn't sure if there was a potential insurance if I fitted tyres at a speed rating lower than was originally supplied by the manufacturer? Admittedly I think the chances of me getting my 1.5 SE L to 168mph are pretty slim!

10 hours ago, JamesK said:

I hadn't actually looked at W rated tyres due to the car being supplied with Y rated tyres.

Blimey, Y rated tyres are up to 186mph! My SE L FE came with a more realistic V rated tyres (149mph).

9 hours ago, SteveTheElder said:

Blimey, Y rated tyres are up to 186mph! My SE L FE came with a more realistic V rated tyres (149mph).

Hi @SteveTheElder Is your SE L FE running on the 17" wheels? My car was a dealer management car, so they ordered the upgraded 18" wheels, full leather and some other bits. I assumed with the 18" wheels they just put on whatever tyres they had in the factory.

I think V rated tyres are the perfect rating for the 1.5 engine.

54 minutes ago, JamesK said:

Hi @SteveTheElder Is your SE L FE running on the 17" wheels? My car was a dealer management car, so they ordered the upgraded 18" wheels, full leather and some other bits. I assumed with the 18" wheels they just put on whatever tyres they had in the factory.

I think V rated tyres are the perfect rating for the 1.5 engine.

Yes, mine is on the 17” wheels; it was a dealer car I bought at 6 months after first registration. No extras over and above the first edition bits though☹️

15 hours ago, JamesK said:

I assumed with the 18" wheels they just put on whatever tyres they had in the factory.

Most summer tyres in size 225/45R18 are Y speed rated.

For example, mytyres are currently listing 161 summer tyres in size 225/45R18. 152 of those tyres have a speed rating of W or higher, so only 9 of those 161 tyres have a speed rating of V or lower.

It might be cheaper for Skoda to purchase Y rated tyres in this size compared to V rated tyres because it's the Y rated tyres in this size that the tyre manufacturers are geared up to manufacture in large quantities. It also means that Skoda can fit all of the 225/45R18 summer tyres that they order in to any Octavia MK4 including the ones with a top speed over 150mph.

For the Octavia MK4, "skoda eshop cz" are showing that Skoda supply H speed rated winter tyres in size 205/60R16 and V speed rated winter tyres in sizes 205/55R17, 225/45R18, and 225/40R19.

Winter wheels for Octavia MK4

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/zimni-kompletni-kola/c/winterSetOfWheels?q=%3AscoreDesc%3AcarType%3AOctavia%2BIV%2B%282019%2B%29&text=#

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 2

On 18/04/2024 at 16:36, Edela said:

Switched from factory fitted Goodyear to Bridgestone Turanza 6 and am very happy.

The Style at home came with Bridgestone Turanza T006 and I find them quite poor. Poor feedback, feel quite numb and on damp roads give zero confidence.

Edit. They'll be changed well ahead of time for Continental or Michelin..

Edited by Hairy_Joe
  • Like 1