1.4 TSI iV vRS DSG 2021 Estate - Wish List

Posted (edited)

So I will be getting this car in anything from around 4-12 weeks and already starting to put together a wishlist of items - As my first Skoda and hybrid at that, i'm grateful for any input and wisdom that you can share. So here goes.

1. Get the street curb outside my house dropped so I can get the car over the pavement and onto my drive. (Ok that's maybe for a different forum haha).

2. Purchase dash cam (front & rear) ideally discrete & tidy.

3. Purchase some form of protector for the rear boot / bumper as will be loading gear in often.

4. Purchase some funky smart floor mats

5. Purchase a home charger system.

Of course open to other suggestions that you may have.

Thanks.👍

Edited by RaysWheels
Grammer

Posted (edited)

Dashcams come in all different shapes and sizes, also different resolution, you really want to look for HD as a minimum, preferably 4K. Also a decent memory card of at least 64Gb, or more if the camera will accept it.

You can choose to have it hard wired in by a professional or just use the USB C socket on the side of the rear view mirror.

Boot liners, Bumper lip protectors are available from your dealer, eBay, Amazon or Skoda Parts Online 

Your car should come complete with floor mats, so you won't need to buy them otherwise try Carmats4U or CarMats.co.uk

Home charger you should have been advised about that by your dealer. Or you may want to consider the "AA solar charger" which is about £30 from eBay or Amazon (definitely no more than £30, it plugs into your cars diagnostic port.

There's a slightly more powerful one for ~£40.

Just put it in the dashboard and plug it in.

Door protector or bump strips can be had cheaply on eBay or Temu (I use TEMU) they cost about £2 for clear ones, plus another £2 for door corner protectors.

Edited by TheWanderer
  • Thanks 1

Unless there have been changes, I thought the Octavia PHEV only charged at a max of 3.6kwh? which takes about 4 hours for its relatively small battery?

If that is still the case, then a standard house plug will take around 6 hours so why bother with the expense of a home charger?

Posted (edited)

@TheWanderer are you talking about charging the 12v battery that too many have issues with going flat. 

As to the cable from a 3 pin plug charging the 13 kWh battery, 11.7 kWh usable, is it charging at much more the 2.3 kWh max (10 amps max set) so about 7 hours empty to full. 

6 miles in an hour charging. 

7 x 6 is 31 miles.

Screenshot 2024-05-06 15.19.50.png

Screenshot 2024-05-06 15.24.42.png

Edited by Ootohere

6 minutes ago, Ootohere said:

@TheWanderer are you talking about charging the 12v battery that too many have issues with going flat. 

As to the cable from a 3 pin plug charging the 13 kWh battery, 11 kWh usable, is it charging at much more the 2 kWh (10 amps max set) so about 10 hours empty to full. 

How does 13 or 11 divided by 2 equal 10 ?

You posted the following image in thread 

187459503_Screenshot2023-12-1909_51_47.png.3473f9a08460e047807928583daef076.png

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@Gerrycan  i was typing the wrong numbers, but you have waste.  But my numbers were my error. 

EDIT.  I edited it to 7 hours.

As PodPoint says '6 hours'  & 6 miles an hour.  But 6x6 is 34 miles which will be lovely. 

If you get 2.3 kW from the plug then good.  You pay for more kWh than the battery size.

My 32.6 kWh battery, 29.2 usable can with 10% battery left take over 31 kWh or more to charge. 

15 hours with the 3 pin cable.

Screenshot 2024-05-06 15.52.06.png

Edited by Ootohere

1 hour ago, Ootohere said:

As to the cable from a 3 pin plug charging the 13 kWh battery, 11.7 kWh usable, is it charging at much more the 2.3 kWh max (10 amps max set) so about 7 hours empty to full. 

6 miles in an hour charging. 

7 x 6 is 31 miles.

Screenshot 2024-05-06 15.19.50.png

Screenshot 2024-05-06 15.24.42.png

Yes. Just plug it in the solar charger whilst at work if no charging available or out and about for the day. It's just to help keep it topped up and no issues. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, SC03OTT said:

A 4.8W solar charger to charge a plug in hybrid? What?!?

Am i wrong in thinking a 4.8w charge would take 2,708 hours to charge a 13kw battery?

1 hour ago, Stonekeeper said:

Am i wrong in thinking a 4.8w charge would take 2,708 hours to charge a 13kw battery?

Yes, wrong. Charger requires about 1kW available to work at all, so with 5W it won't even start up.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

Well if you have a look on Amazon under: AA 12 V Car Solar Battery Trickle Charger 

There are two derivatives.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Essentials-AA1432-Battery-Charger/dp/B084M5ZL5L?th=1

Will help slow parasitic battery drain of the 12v battery whilst the car is parked up?

19 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Unless there have been changes, I thought the Octavia PHEV only charged at a max of 3.6kwh? which takes about 4 hours for its relatively small battery?

If that is still the case, then a standard house plug will take around 6 hours so why bother with the expense of a home charger?

I used to granny charge my PHEV. Never caused me any issues but I was never really comfortable with it . We got a tethered Zappi installed which I think is an excellent charger and saves getting the cables out the boot - it's mainly for my wife's EV but is great for the Octavia. 

I've been using a Garmin 57 dash cam connected to the port behind the mirror which I think is a decent camera. 

• Like 2

I bought a second hand PHEV in February.

I fitted a Garmin dashcam powered off the mirror USB C port.

The car came with a 10A charger cable which plugs into a domestic 13A socket and a cable for a home charger.

I use the 10A cable and can charge the car in about 6 hours.  If I use the 'time of departure' charging option then I have a range of 34 miles, if I charge it and do not use it immediately then I have a range of 29 miles.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Nope. Got a Nextbase GW622, with a 64Gb card.

Try to find a recognised brand as technical support is easier to get should it play up.

Edited by TheWanderer

I have been charging using 3 pin since I got the car as I can’t get my head around spending £6-800 that will only save an hour.

i keep my charger plugged on the whole time as I can’t be bothered to keep getting it out of the boot.

however I am about to write to Skoda as I have the parasitic battery drain and I don’t think it is acceptable so I am going to see if I can reject the car (5 months old, 3.5k miles)

• Like 1

Hi, I have just been advised of faulty door lock causing parasitic drain £423 to fix!. Causing repeated low voltage errors , although these were not displayed. Battery went flat, thankfully road assist got me going again.

34 minutes ago, AndyT60 said:

Hi, I have just been advised of faulty door lock causing parasitic drain £423 to fix!. Causing repeated low voltage errors , although these were not displayed. Battery went flat, thankfully road assist got me going again.

Under warranty?

Warranty ran out in March. Had a similar battery issue then as well, so garage approaching Skoda to try and arrange a goodwill fix ?

Had to do nothing on my 2017 Golf GTD Estate.

Tell a lie, today the passenger side mirror glass fell off in the heat 😀 also the air con is empty. Friendly VW garage said they would sort tomorrow for me!